How much should a single working mum be making in Abu Dhabi? | ExpatWoman.com

How much should a single working mum be making in Abu Dhabi?

Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 20:25

I was let go from an international company i've been working for, for the past 18 years, and only have a diploma in secretarial office procedure. When I went to have my job experience weighed in market value accordingly, the recruitment agency said i'm worth 15 to 20k dhs. I'm a bilingual secretary and my job experience varied from organizing events to anything related to business correspondence and being a PA. I ended up taking a job last minute because my visa was past it's 30 day extension. Currently, the job I have provides no house allowance and the salary isn't anywhere near the 15 to 20k range. I have a daughter in her mid 20s with special needs, I'm her only carer and provider since her father wants nothing to do with her/us, so all the weight lies on me.

I have a chance at renegotiating my contract but have no idea how to go about it or what my income should look like roughly, because I don't know any other single working parents.

Any advise would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 09:13
You need to factor in your living expenses: -accommodation costs -schooling -groceries -utilities -transportation and other things you and your daughter need. At the same time, keep having a look around for another job opportunity where you will get housing and school fees. If, when you say you are bilingual, you mean Arabic and English, have a look at government or semi-government companies.