GEMS American academy | ExpatWoman.com

GEMS American academy

Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 09:44

Hello ladies, I applied for my kids at GEMS American academy whose enrollment for September 2015 has now opened! I am happy that they have availability in grades Pre-K to Grade 9, so my kids (5th grade and KG2) can be admitted there :) I know the school just opened last year but was curious if any of you have kids there and how they find the school so far. Also, we will live in Onaiza area close to Doha Exhibition Center, so would it be too far from GEMS? I checked on Google and found it about 40 mins from where we will be...what is your advice? Does the school have buses?

Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 11:07
Hello everyone, My family and I just moved here this month and our daughter will be attending GEMS American Academy as well next month. She will be in KG2. I too am worried about the commute.... We will live in Al Waab area (Al Mirqab ) and most probably she will take the school bus for the first semester. I think the closest pick up point for us is Beverly Hills 10... Can anyone confirm this? The other pick up point is Al Rayyan Compound - does anyone know whether this one is closer to our place? Or anyone have a car service that I can call? I would prefer to take my daughter to school everyday, that way I can meet other parents and make friends:) also, the school bus is not available for children with after school activity. I have Dubai driver license but I am still nervous about driving here:( expat1983: have you decided to use the school bus? Peace with 4: thanks for you post. We wanted our daughter to attend ASD too as she attended ASD Dubai for a year before we moved here and we are very happy there. But they have no spot in KG2. Your post made me feel much better about GEMs. We are still living in the hotel in west bay at the moment... Would love to meet if you are interested for a coffee, etc. Thanks.
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 22:19
Hi everyone I have enrolled our two sons at GEMS (as it was the only school with places available!). My husband's new job is based in Al Saad, quite a distance from Al Wakra and I was getting quite stressed at the thought of the school run! However, the school has told me that this coming academic year they will be providing transport. At the moment, they have pencilled in pick up points at Lagoona mall, Landmark, City Centre mall and Aspire Zone. Not sure yet of times or costs.
Latest post on 08 February 2015 - 13:43
Hi khokha2... we go through the industrial area and its pretty much smooth sailing. At most it takes us 45 minutes but there is rarely much traffic. They have extracurricular activities that are mostly arts and crafts type stuff, but what I was referring to was more of team sports that I feel is lacking. All the teachers I've met have been from the US except for one who is Canadian, other than the Arabic teachers of course. Most of the administration seem to be from the US as well.
Latest post on 06 February 2015 - 01:24
Peace with 4, it takes you only 35 minutes to get there? I thought it was farther! we live near Villaggio and the main reason why we didn't put my son there was distance. I remember when we went to the open house that they were already talking about extracurricular activities. Also, where are the teachers from? Are they all from the US like the first principal had said at the open house?
Latest post on 05 February 2015 - 15:07
We have two kids who go to GEMS American Academy, a 1st grader and a 2nd grader. We live close to Villaggio and it takes us about 35 minutes to get to school, more if there is traffic, but there usually isn't. It is far, and the kids complain about the trip almost daily. That said, they love the school. We actually enrolled them in the school because like you we had no other options. We had our hearts set on ASD but didn't get a spot so we figured we would put them in GEMS while we wait out the waiting list. Now I honestly don't know if I will transfer them if a spot opens up. The school has a great community feel. The teachers are very good and the school books and curriculum are identical to the ones my kids were using back home in the US. There were very few students out the outset but that is changing (there were 7 kids in my daughter's 2nd grade class at the beginning of the year and now there are 22; 1st grade went from one class of 14 in September to 2 classes of 14 now) I do have issues with the school, but I don't know if they are just growing pains the school is going through. The school principal has changed once already (although in fairness I wasn't a big fan of the 1st one) and my daughter's class is one their 2nd teacher and we are only 5 months in. They are not yet giving second language classes (other than Arabic) and there are no sports as extra curricular activities. I do expect most of these things to be resolved by next year, but its frustrating since our kids have so few formative years while they are in school, you don't want them to miss anything. Please let me know if you have any more questions about GEMS or the move to Doha. We just moved here in August so it's all still fresh!
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 23:41
Hi, u can look at SEK Qatar @ west bay it's an IB school GEMS Academy is not in Doha. It is located in Al Wakra, Qatar. Pls do not underestimate the driving to/from school, you being located in West Bay (or close to it). Esp for bus transportation ; how early would you be happy to put your KG2 year old on the bus in the morning? Somebody I know, with excellent driving skills (both decent and "Doha driving" skills) that lives in Villaggio area (opposite end of the city than Onaliza, towards Wakra actually) lives her house 10 to 7 am to reach school. Other than that, the school seems to be very ok, given it's short term notice opening of this year. All that it seems it is lacking is…kids. There is currently only one 5-th grade class that started in Aug with 7 kids and before December had 8 or 9 kids. So much so that for music, for example 3 different grades get together to do the class. Definitely a school worth considering, too bad they do not advertise more. I would not compromise on schools and kids' transportation in this country. Rather on the location I live in.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 23:39
GEMS Academy is not in Doha. It is located in Al Wakra, Qatar. Pls do not underestimate the driving to/from school, you being located in West Bay (or close to it). Esp for bus transportation ; how early would you be happy to put your KG2 year old on the bus in the morning? Somebody I know, with excellent driving skills (both decent and "Doha driving" skills) that lives in Villaggio area (opposite end of the city than Onaliza, towards Wakra actually) lives her house 10 to 7 am to reach school. Other than that, the school seems to be very ok, given it's short term notice opening of this year. All that it seems it is lacking is…kids. There is currently only one 5-th grade class that started in Aug with 7 kids and before December had 8 or 9 kids. So much so that for music, for example 3 different grades get together to do the class. Definitely a school worth considering, too bad they do not advertise more. I would not compromise on schools and kids' transportation in this country. Rather on the location I live in.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 13:09
Hi expat1983 My son goes to Pearling and he loves it there. Even though we moved from the US, he is not having any problems with a British curriculum (he's in year 2, which is 1st grade in the US) They only have up to year 6 now, but I was told that they now have approval for years 7, 8, and 9 for next year, but I don't think it'll be in the same building. All the best,
Latest post on 20 January 2015 - 22:43
Hi Lillyhammer - I don't want to put you off about Doha or your new job but that commute out to Wakra, then back to work, then back to Wakra and back home is just going to make you cry. Traffic is terrible at any given time and it does take a good amount of time to get out there regardless. Maybe you can ask your work if there is anything closer to your home?
Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 07:53
Hi Happy_feet and thank you for your response. English is our first language and my children are in grades 5 & 2. Lilly
Latest post on 18 January 2015 - 08:44
hi Lillyhammer, First of all from the above discussion you must have guessed that GEMS school is quite far away from doha city. I have no idea exactly where is Al Rayaan compound, but if you go by google map search of the compound then GEMS school is ridiculously far away. You can do a google map search of the school as well to see for yourself. Now comes the assessment. You have not written what is your first language or which class you are seeking admission to, because these both factors contribute to what is asked and expected of your kid. If your first language is English or even if it is not but your kid knows English fluently, half of your battle is won. Next depending on the class they may ask something academically. When my daughter went for the assessment at DBS, for reception, they took all the kids that had come for the test into a big room and asked to do some things with blocks and other things. I am not very sure because parents are not allowed to enter that room, but two kids were crying, so they allowed their moms to go inside. My first language is not English, but my daughter knows the language quite well. They kept all of them for 30-40min and after 3 days mailed us that she is offered a seat. But don’t worry too much. If it is a new school like DBS (Wakra) or GEMS or Pearling, then getting a seat is fairly easy. <em>edited by happy_feet on 18/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 17 January 2015 - 19:13
Hello I was informed by Sidra several months ago that GEMS is the school that they've reserved for my children (Pending passing of their assessment, of course). I was just wondering what this "assessment" consists of. I'm always fearful that they won't pass and then I'm back to square one and waiting to hear from another school that the hospital sets me up with. Also, are there any other similar schools in the area of Al Rayyan compound. Not looking forward to the commute. Lilly
Latest post on 17 January 2015 - 19:13
Hello I was informed by Sidra several months ago that GEMS is the school that they've reserved for my children (Pending passing of their assessment, of course). I was just wondering what this "assessment" consists of. I'm always fearful that they won't pass and then I'm back to square one and waiting to hear from another school that the hospital sets me up with. Also, are there any other similar schools in the area of Al Rayyan compound. Not looking forward to the commute. Lilly
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:53
Thanks a lot happy_feet! It seems that we will go with GMES at least for the first year. GMES asked us to pay Seat Reservation fees around QR7000 for both kids...we expected that all fees can be paid upon our arrival in August. We also applied at Doha College, but based on what other members say here our chances are so limited since they have a long waiting list. Moving is really a hectic but I can't wait to be in Doha in August and start our new adventure :)
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 07:57
Hi Sorry I did not mention it earlier, Pearling has IPC curriculum, which is basically a British curriculum. If you prefer only American curriculum, then GEMS may be the only choice now. Another thing, if you at any point decide to take school bus, then be very particular about the timing. DBS was starting at 7am and they told me pick up will be at 5.20am and monthly 900qar. I would suggest, if possible, do a test run on a weekday to the school. Then you will have a fair idea. Again if you prefer only American curriculum, I do not think you have any other option as of now. Better enroll the kids in GEMS and enlist in waiting list of your choice of schools. But keep one more thing in mind, suppose you enroll in GEMS for the first term and say after 20-25 days of school days you get a call from one of the other school, then if you want to back out from the present school, they will not return the 1st term fees or any other fees other than the security deposit and you have to again pay for everything in the second school. If your company will reimburse also, they will not pay twice for the annual things like, books or stationaries or tablets (Pearling School are taking money for that) and certainly not the 1st term fee again. I hope you think on all the issues and then decide. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. <em>edited by happy_feet on 14/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 09:22
I believe it's UK as most of their teachers are from the UK or have worked in the UK in the past. However, I'm not certain. Also be aware the though it may be closer geographically the traffic in and around that neighborhood in the morning and afternoon rush hours is really bad. Again, due to ongoing construction and the fact it is an older, densely populated neighborhood. <em>edited by marycatherine on 12/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 00:21
Thanks happy_feet! I just got an offer from GEMS but your message made me think again about it, especially that they asked us to pay 3500 QR for each kid to reserve their seats. Pearling is still far from where we will live but of course much closer than GEMS. I am not sure if Pearling is using the American or British curriculum and I couldn't locate any info in this regard at their website..We would prefer North American curriculum. Do you have any info in this regard?
Latest post on 11 January 2015 - 09:05
Hi expat1983, I do not have my kid in GEMS. So no idea about the school. But I can definitely give you some idea on the driving time. I live in Bin Mahmoud, near Megamart (The Center Mall). My daughter was going to DBS, Al Wakra. Morning it takes nearly 50-60min one way. That means around 2hrs in the morning. Afternoon it takes 40-50min one way. So around 1 and half hour in the afternoon. And as the school started at 7am, we normally left home around 6.10-6.15 am in the morning and were always late by 5-10min. For leaving home at 6.15, we had to get up before 5am and by the time my daughter came home it was around 1.30pm. She was always very tired and never concentrated in studies. After school activities was out of question. As you live much up north and GEMS is another 2 km down south from DBS, just calculate the time it will take you in the morning rush hour. As I had already paid the first term, we continued there for the first term and now from the second term my daughter is in Pearling School. I am very happy with the school. It is bigger, with better facilities. As my daughter is in Reception, I am not very worried academic-wise, as I can take care of it at home. As it has been only a week, I can’t say anything about teaching, but it seems good. So why don’t you try Pearling School, it has also opened last year and at least it will be much closer to you than GEMS. Website is http://psisd.com.qa/ Hope this helps.
Latest post on 09 January 2015 - 10:19
The timing I tried to give thru was between Villaggio area and Al Wakra, for a start on GEMS somewhere before 8 am. So the drive time would be around 45 min.
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 22:23
LOL Maxima, your friend has it good, we leave at 6.30 and others on our compound at 6.10 to get to our schools on time and they are in Abu Hamour. It's not unheard of for children in areas like the Pearl to be getting on buses before 6 for a 1.5 - 2 hour school commute and then doing the same at the end of the day. I agree with maxima, the school commute is a daily grind for many of us and if you add a few after school activities then you find yourself somewhat living in your car. Living close to the schools is a bonus as you need to do 2 trips a day compared to your husband doing 1 to work.
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 19:37
GEMS Academy is not in Doha. It is located in Al Wakra, Qatar. Pls do not underestimate the driving to/from school, you being located in West Bay (or close to it). Esp for bus transportation ; how early would you be happy to put your KG2 year old on the bus in the morning? Somebody I know, with excellent driving skills (both decent and "Doha driving" skills) that lives in Villaggio area (opposite end of the city than Onaliza, towards Wakra actually) lives her house 10 to 7 am to reach school. Other than that, the school seems to be very ok, given it's short term notice opening of this year. All that it seems it is lacking is…kids. There is currently only one 5-th grade class that started in Aug with 7 kids and before December had 8 or 9 kids. So much so that for music, for example 3 different grades get together to do the class. Definitely a school worth considering, too bad they do not advertise more. I would not compromise on schools and kids' transportation in this country. Rather on the location I live in.
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 11:43
Thank you JillMV! This is very helpful and encouraging. I will definitely contact them and see what options do they have for us whether carpooling or school buses
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 11:25
I went to a presentation at GEMS last month and they said they were going to run buses from 5-6 central locations in town - mostly malls with safe pick-up areas. Unfortunately, I did not pay close attention to the locations of the bus pick-ups because we wouldn't use the bus but I remember some were on that side of town. The receptionist may be able to tell you more specifics. They also said that the PTA is strong and that through the PTA lots of parents have set up carpooling... and there are also a lot of parents who use drivers/ regular taxi service. I was impressed by their presentation and facilities -- but don't have any kids enrolled there (yet) so don't have first hand experience with the school or the weekday commute. I would think it would be more like an hour for you. <em>edited by JillMV on 08/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 10:57
This means that transportation to school might be a big deal :( I am worried that this might be the only option for my kids this coming year. Won't it be possible that we hire a taxi to make it on a daily basis? Also, we might have neighboring kids at the same school close by so we can share the cost? I am not sure...I am just trying to find a way out if we ended up with GEMS as the best and only option we might have
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 10:28
I doubt very much you would be able to make that trip in 40 minutes. Google does not reflect the dire traffic and road/metro construction that is happening in Doha (and will continue to happen for the foreseeable next few years). I can't speak to bus service.