where to buy a road map of Oman? | ExpatWoman.com

where to buy a road map of Oman?

Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 21:33

dear all
we will go to Oman at the beginning of February and we need a detailed road map as we are planning to go on the mountains. Does anybody know where to buy such a map in Doha?
Thank you a lot
Eleonor

Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 21:28
Which ones in the book interests you? the ones regarding the road from Nakhal to Nizwa via Wadi Bani Awf, and then the surrounding of Nizwa for the following days. the book I have is the Explorer oman off-road, the "maps" are essentially satellites pictures where they highlighted the road. descriptions of the route are fair but not fantastic, I think. When we go mountaineering and trekking in Europe we usually find much more detailed maps for off-road tracks. Maybe this is the best we can find for Oman and we will manage with what we have! :-)
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 18:33
Please make sure you check the weather up the mountains and get one of the offroad books (3 publishers available) for Oman and read the advice in there first. Yes, we have the Oman Off road book, but even there maps are not detailed as I expected. We will check the weather, we are aware of the difficulties and we will rent a proper car. Actually I was for not trying it but the pictures I saw are spectacular and so e are very tempted.
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 19:51
We did not go to Jebel Shams (higher than Jebel Akhdar) as we heard that the road was not good so I'm afraid I can't help.
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 10:02
Did you look for a book called "Offroad Oman" at the bookstore, I believe it has maps in it.
Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 23:24
Thank you dear. A neighbour told me that she could not find the maps neither at Jarir or Virgin Megastore. I'll have a look anyway. We will go by plane and rent a car. we will check at the airport if we can't find a map before. Mountains: Yes, we would like to go to Jabel Sham, north west of Muscat, and cross from Barka to Nizwa on the mountain challenging road. Is there a check point at the beginning of the road after Nahal? We just went to Oman for 8 days in December; its a beautiful country. We drove from Doha to Muscat and I happened to find maps of Muscat at the border office while we waited for our visas. If u are referring to the Jebel Akhdar mountains then the police at the check point before the ascent stop and give u instructions as well as provide a detailed map. Have a good trip!
Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 22:50
I can't say 100%, but I would try Jarir Bookstore.
Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 22:50
We just went to Oman for 8 days in December; its a beautiful country. We drove from Doha to Muscat and I happened to find maps of Muscat at the border office while we waited for our visas. If u are referring to the Jebel Akhdar mountains then the police at the check point before the ascent stop and give u instructions as well as provide a detailed map. Have a good trip!