From Qatar to Dubai by road?? | ExpatWoman.com

From Qatar to Dubai by road??

Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 08:29

Hi everyone... I live in Dubai and want to visit family in Qatar. Has anyone traveled by road between the two countries? How many hours does it take and what is the journey like. TIA

Latest post on 20 January 2015 - 15:01
DS did the trip from Doha to Dubai about 6 months ago, it took 12 hours, with long waits at the SA border due to staff gong off and no one being available, the roads were full of potholes and very dangerous with many large juggernaut lorries driving without care. Much of the way completely unlit at night so a very stressful drive altogether. As others have said bad facilities on the way and no decent food to be found at all. They left the car in Dubai and flew back, we had to have the car shipped back to them. They would never do it again for sure. <em>edited by chezmoi on 20/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 08:16
It did help Maple... thanks a lot for sharing your experience.. any feedback counts even if it is about the bad toilets or food as it prepares one mentally ...... we too have been to muscat by road and that has been a pleasant experience... but did not have that high hopes of the Doha trip... But all in all it does not seem so bad... we can take food along and as for toilets... well.. 5 to 6 hours does not seem that long... hopefully... at least now I know that i should be prepared for it... :)
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 20:05
We recently did the road trip from Doha to Muscat stopping over in Al Ain for one night. It took us about 6-7 hours to get to Al Ain due to visa delays at the UAE border. It takes about five-six hours from Doha to Dubai (have done this route as well a few years ago). From Doha we have to take a road transit visa for Saudi prior to the journey. Unlike UAE and Oman for instance, Saudi Arabia does not issue visas at the border so u will need to check with the concerned embassy. Besides this u will need to buy insurance at the borders. Out of the total 5-6 hours, the Saudi drive is about 1 and a half hours. There are no decent washrooms or places to eat so make sure u keep this in mind. Petrol is cheap though! We often have family visiting us by road from Saudi Arabia and they have always said that Qatar border has been an easy and pleasant experience. Of all the road trips in this region, our best by far has been Oman simply because of the natural beauty. Hope this helps.
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 09:28
Thanks sarahlou ... yeah it is 2012 thread... hoping someone who has recently traveled can relate the experience.. lets see.. ! Initially i was under the impression that it takes around 10 hours or so but someone told me yesterday its 5 hours or so, at least your comment confirms that and we can actually start thinking about braving the drive... I am not much of a traveler, esp by road... :( [b'>Me neither, I would rather fly however we see so many KSA and Qatar plates here so many people must brave it :-)[/b'> Yeah... and you feel like such a spoil sport when everyone else is so excited about the prospect of the supposedly adventurous road trip ... so putting up a chill front and praying it goes well... !
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 09:20
Thanks sarahlou ... yeah it is 2012 thread... hoping someone who has recently traveled can relate the experience.. lets see.. ! Initially i was under the impression that it takes around 10 hours or so but someone told me yesterday its 5 hours or so, at least your comment confirms that and we can actually start thinking about braving the drive... I am not much of a traveler, esp by road... :( Me neither, I would rather fly however we see so many KSA and Qatar plates here so many people must brave it :-)
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 09:18
Thanks sarahlou ... yeah it is 2012 thread... hoping someone who has recently traveled can relate the experience.. lets see.. ! Initially i was under the impression that it takes around 10 hours or so but someone told me yesterday its 5 hours or so, at least your comment confirms that and we can actually start thinking about braving the drive... I am not much of a traveler, esp by road... :(
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 09:06
Hi everyone... I live in Dubai and want to visit family in Qatar. Has anyone traveled by road between the two countries? How many hours does it take and what is the journey like. TIA Its over 415Km so 5-6 hours but maybe longer with the stop in KSA I know someone that did it years ago and said he would fly next time as the borders and checks were a nightmare. I don't think you will be able to do the leg of the driving in KSA though There was some info online but it may be out of date http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/106716-driving-qatar-dubai.html