QATAR INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL,WESTBAY | ExpatWoman.com

QATAR INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL,WESTBAY

Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 10:50

Hi ladies:

Hope you are all well. I just wanted to ask you if any of you have children at Qatar international School, Westbay. My son attends a school in Doha at the moment but because some schools have applications/waiting lists open I thought I would apply. I have just applied in QIS but wanted to know if it is any good. I am also applying in Doha College and my son is already on the waiting list for DESS. I know Doha College and DESS are in the top school list so I just wanted to know about QIS.

On a different note, omg how cold has the weather gone in Doha, my feet are freezing :-(

Latest post on 15 February 2015 - 08:56
SEK is more expensive than DC anyway. QIS is definitely on the 'holding school' list in Doha. Whether or not it's worth it will depend on what the other school is.
Latest post on 13 February 2015 - 22:44
Thank you ladies for your replies. My kids have both got assessments there next month. Now after reading your replies I am not too sure. I only visited the school once when we went to pick up the application form. The assessment will be 2 hrs long plus parents will be interviewed too so maybe than we can get a better feel and idea about the school. Its so difficult finding the right school for your kids here. My older son is on DESS waiting list at number 17 and younger ones application for pre school wasn't accepted. Doha college is toooo expensive even though we live 2mins walk from there, next to Doha college is SEK but that's a different curriculum. My older son is at Cardiff international at the moment. Now I am not sure if to move him. I have applied for younger ones pre school there but not had a reply yet. The thing is with this school is that pre school and reception year are in different premises to the rest of the year group and they finish one hour early so its a bit inconvenient to do school run at different times to drop off at different buildings and only my hubby drives.
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 22:51
Honestly I have a feeling that people apply in QIS if they don't manage to get a place anywhere else. And change the school as soon as they get a place.
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 22:43
Hi, hope you are not frozen any more :) I see that nobody replied, probably you have made your choice already. Just let me add a small connect. I have two friends who had their kids in QIS. Both chaned the school in 2 years time. The reasons were: 1) my 1st friend's daughter was 7 yo when she left QIS because she was the only one European child not only in the class but in her year group! My friend was happy with teaching and the school itself but they could not feel themselves the only black sheep in the Arabian environment. To add to this some kids were aggressive to my friend's daughter. The girl left for SEK where she is absolutely happy. 2) in the 2d case it was the teaching standards that made my other friend to move her son to Doha college as soon as they got a space. Once they found out that her son's teacher was banned from the National British Education for chronical alcoholism. Me personally I was driving along this school for two years nearly every afternoon. My god :) I'd say I was in jungles. The parents of QIS have no notion of politeness, to say nothing of driving rules... I asked myself if i was not raving when I saw some cases... <em>edited by marykar on 11/02/2015</em>