Eczema treatment for infant - 5 months old | ExpatWoman.com

Eczema treatment for infant - 5 months old

Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 16:23

Can anyone recommend a product or treatment they have used for infantile eczema?
A family member's baby has it quite badly - poor little thing.
The mother actually has always had it herself and for several years said she would not have children because she did not wish them to suffer this condition ( she also has phorisis) but then at 38 she had a baby!
The baby wants to scratch all night and is very strong at removing her mittens and even scratches under swaddling! It is her legs, back of neck and head that she scratches mostly.
She has been entirely breast fed although now has some solids. Does any one know if the breast feeding from a mother who has always had bad eczema herself is actually the wrong thing to do ?
She is only bathed twice a week because the water is so irritating.
Her nails are cut when she is asleep and kept as short as possible.
When they change her nappy - I am told one person has to hold her hands while another does the changing - to stop her scratching. It seems like torture - doesn't it?!
I have not seen the child myself recently and was only told about it on the phone.
They have, of course, been to the doctors about it.
Any advice would be most welcome - I know how clever you all are!

Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 10:22
I second Mustela Stellatopia. I also found extra virgin coconut oil a big help but please have the mum run this by her paediatrician before trying it out as I am not sure if it works for eczema.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 21:09
My younger daughter also developed severe eczema when she was around 4 months old. The doc prescribed me elocom (which was to be mixed with Cetaphil lotion) for 5 days at bedtime, after which I was asked to use Cetaphil regularly on the effected area. The other thing that helped was I would use Mustela bath oil to keep the baby well moisturised and Mustela stelatopia cream.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 21:09
My younger daughter also developed severe eczema when she was around 4 months old. The doc prescribed me elocom (which was to be mixed with Cetaphil lotion) for 5 days at bedtime, after which I was asked to use Cetaphil regularly on the effected area. The other thing that helped was I would use Mustela bath oil to keep the baby well moisturised and Mustela stelatopia cream.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 21:08
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 14:17
Hi Bingo I've also found Stellatopia to be brilliant for my children's eczema. We use the one for extremely dry atopic skin, it's been a miracle worker. Just to add, there is of course a genetic component to eczema but a baby certainly can't 'catch it' from breastfeeding. Breastfeeding should in fact help with the eczema although the mum should watch what she is eating and eliminate any foods that seem to cause a reaction. Dairy is often a culprit.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 14:10
Please try to advise she see one of the doctors suggested on here.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 14:00
Thanks so very much to everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I did see the baby yesterday via skype and she was quite cheerful and pleased to be chatted to - rocking herself in her bounsy chair! I could not see any eczema on her face or hands - all the rest of her body was covered. Her head seemed OK but she has very little hair. Her mother said she had been prescribed some homeopathic cream and told me some of the ingredients but I can only remember rose water - which I think is calming. I am going to see the baby tomorrow and have bought 3 tubes of E45 Itch Relief cream ( Urea Lauromacrogols) says - "Relief from itching of eczema" and is for everyone including babies - so hope it helps. Slakhana and Maple thanks very much for mentioning Stellatopia and Aveeno - will try to find them. Thanks again to everyone
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 02:10
Hi...I am usually just reading other posts on this amazing forum which has helped me numerous times with various issues...ever so grateful to all the lovely ladies on EW. My DS had a very mild form of eczema but Stellatopia products(basically the lotion and bath product) was a great helped and the eczema vanished within a few weeks. Stellatopia was infact recommended on older threads..pls give it a try. Wish you all the best
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 00:20
My oldest son had eczema as a baby. He was born in peak winter in Canada so I am sure that would have made matters worse. We were mostly able to keep it in control with Aveeno products; they have a separate range for babies and children. I hope she feels better soon!
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 20:49
My sister's baby had incredibly itchy eczema also. A big help was changing to Neocate formula but this was prescription only product and also v v expensive. Also supposed to be HORRIBLE tasting! So getting the baby to try it would be hard (especially if accustomed to the good stuff). While I definitely agree that breast is best, one thing regularly suggested is that maybe something the mother is eating is affecting the baby's eczema. So maybe the mother can try eliminating a few likely contenders? Also, my sister found that bleach baths (seriously, a few drops of Milton), were a great help when things were really bad. Best of luck! Fingers crossed it will go away in time.
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 19:31
The change in weather made the eczema on my baby worse too. Bioderma treatment cream and bioderma moisturiser cream has helped a lot with my little one. I just got it from the pharmacy. Eczema is genetic but not from the breast feeding. Breast feeding is good to help her little body fight this but if it dairy related, perhaps the mum may need to try going dairy free for awhile. All this needs to done with the guidance of a good doctor of course. My baby is 17 mths and it seems citrus juices flare it up too. All the best for the little one. Must be heart breaking to see.
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 19:09
Bingo I’m so sorry that the baby is going through this and I understand everyone is trying to help the little one, BUT, really all anyone can do is advise that the family take the child to a really good GP or Paediatrician who can advise and refer if necessary. Dr Fisher is often recommended for a paediatrician here and GP wise, Dr Carol Smiley at Mirdif or Dr Saima Sheikh at Motor City. Maybe some other posters will be able to also recommend Dr for you. http://www.medicentres.ae/doctors.html http://healthbayclinic.com/dr-carol-smylie.html
Latest post on 13 January 2015 - 18:46
I wonder what the Drs said! Of course she can get it from her mother if she is breastfed. DD had eczema when she was a baby, she was bottle fed. Her Dr changed the milk and gave some ointment and it was sorted.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY