My cats, behaviour change | ExpatWoman.com

My cats, behaviour change

Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:43

My cats, (brother and sister) 2 years old have suddenly started hissing and fighting with each other, chasing after each other. It doesn't look like playing, but quite aggressive.

Any ideas what is happening?

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 15:17
Get them checked out, one of them might not be feeling well.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 15:12
Our cats started doing the same so started giving them Rescue remedy just a couple of drops into the water. It made a whole world of difference. I guess it was just a stage. Good luck with yours
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 20:24
[i'>WTF. Why get an animal?? Ugh, another thread! [/i'> Beebers, totally agree, irresponsible, callous people. Like you say though, silver linings! Yours sounds very loved, as is ours. He's gone from starving street cat to [i'>molly coddled sybarite[/i'> - LOL. Let me know how you get on with the food switch, best of luck! Give me a shout if I can be of help. Artemis, the people that left your boy like that are total asses. Coddled sybarite, hilarious!! :) I can't totally blame the folks that gave us our fluffy boy because I think my DH would be lost without him as I am not always there :) We're glad. You've been helpful and I appreciate it. Hes got an appointment with the vet now, and we will see how that and the food change goes. DH sent me a photo today of his arms after "play time" and he looks like he took a razor to his arms--hope all this settles him down! thanks again x
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 10:11
[i'>WTF. Why get an animal?? Ugh, another thread! [/i'> Beebers, totally agree, irresponsible, callous people. Like you say though, silver linings! Yours sounds very loved, as is ours. He's gone from starving street cat to [i'>molly coddled sybarite[/i'> - LOL. Let me know how you get on with the food switch, best of luck! Give me a shout if I can be of help.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 23:06
It might have something to do with the season. Last few days I've heard quite a few cat fights while I was sitting in the garden. Maybe it's mating season or angry cat season...
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 11:51
You might also want to try the Feliway plugns. They are expensive but work wonders. I travel frequently and my 2 Mau's (brothers) started to fight really badly. Fur and blood! One time they even messed in the lounge during/after a huge fight, which they have never ever done before. Someone came to feed them once a day but I don't think this was enough human contact. On advice from a vet I bought 2 Feliway plugins and they are like 2 different cats, so relaxed and calm. They still have their personalities but hardly ever annoy each other now! I also bought a Feliway spray for their bed.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 11:22
Artermis, I know. After 3 months pet sitting, [i'>we[/i'> were attached, and didn't dream he'd be staying! Though they took the dog, the cat was a newer addition brought home without a family consensus. Not excusing it but I find it hard to believe they never even ask about the cat. I was sending photos like it was a newborn! But still. Luckily we have the resources and like I said not the best case scenario, but it is the only home he knows and it could have been worse. We love him and next year, whether we are renting or buying here, it is already mandatory that it needs to be a pet friendly building. Our current Dubai place is not, but I am already thinking a year ahead. He's our baby! How nice of the family that was in the villa before you. WTF. Why get an animal?? Ugh, another thread! Glad he has you guys, too :) That's the silver lining, and hope he gets over his trauma. Ours isn't one bit traumatized conversely; it is 'nice' of him to let us stay in 'his' house as we feel lol I am going to try out some different food options based on the recommendations you have given, and thanks because I never would have thought of that. x
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 10:54
[i'>Agree, agree, agree on the rest. Just driving around our neighborhood there, my heart breaks. The way we "inherited" ours was a scenario that began with pet sitting of sorts, and turned into "we are not taking him across the world with us after all" three months later.[/i'> Beebers, you know the kind of people who decide to chuck their pet out because they can't be bothered to take him with them when they move make me very angry. Lucky for your cat that you guys were there to care for him. Our cat was left in the garden of our previous villa by his last 'family.' They took his collar off and tossed him out to starve when he was about seven months old. It's just unbelievable. I don't know how anybody could do that to a pet they had living with them, I think it's fricking disgraceful. Ours has never got over the trauma of several months of abandonment and he's very frightened of people, but he's very affectionate to us and he's particularly attached to my husband who was the first one to meet him and feed him so I know where you're coming from, good on you for looking after him and as you say, better maybe not to mix things up by adding a feline companion in case it all descends into a fur catastrophe. As to the food, I'd be cautious of dry food if a cat is mega keen on it or seems addicted, I feed ours one can of tuna per day, he loves [i'>Sheba[/i'> and I give him Waitrose dry food salmon flavour it's in a large brown packet and available in Spinneys/Waitrose. Dunno where else it's available, but you can get it in Dubai. Our cat likes it, but he doesn't really love it and it doesn't make him run up trees or howl outside his food cupboard like a certain other brand! Hope this helps.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 10:24
[i'>Not a place you want to let cats outside due to cruelty, poison in random places, and a lot of strays.[/i'> OK Beebers, understand. In that case, definitely better he doesn't go outside and from what you've said, he has no desire to do so. Beyond that, maybe check the dry food because I reckon some brands contain ingredients which have a frenetic impact on feline behaviour. As Izzy says, perhaps consider adopting one of the strays to give yours some company? Of course the downside of that scheme is that if they've don't get on, you've doubled the problem and in general I think cats are fairly solitary creatures. Despite all the awful sad stories here, I have never considered getting another cat because ours is so territorial I know the arrival of cat 2 would drive him mad. It's so sad that there are so many places where cats have such a grim existence. Tragic that so much of the world is such a dismal place for humans and animals. Sad stuff. I will definitely check the food. Any particular kind you would recommend that are somewhat easy to source? Agree, agree, agree on the rest. Just driving around our neighborhood there, my heart breaks. The way we "inherited" ours was a scenario that began with pet sitting of sorts, and turned into "we are not taking him across the world with us after all" three months later. (!) By then, he was quite attached to DH. We hate that he has to be without him sometimes, but the little guy seems pretty happy, he rules the roost there, and we know it could be much worse for him. Bringing him to Dubai once a month is not an option. To bring in another cat would be irresponsible, I think, for playmate purposes, as finding a good fit might not work out. I think ours is like yours. Sometimes he sits on the bar and watches the strays on our porch with wide eyes. God knows what is going through his mind, but somehow I doubt he wishes one was inside playing with him. <em>edited by Beebers on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 10:18
I always thought that about mine.... and althoughy my b1tchy british blue doesn't really like the others, my other cats love playing with each other...... although the bully doesn't have any friends he tries to play with them...
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:57
[i'>Not a place you want to let cats outside due to cruelty, poison in random places, and a lot of strays.[/i'> OK Beebers, understand. In that case, definitely better he doesn't go outside and from what you've said, he has no desire to do so. Beyond that, maybe check the dry food because I reckon some brands contain ingredients which have a frenetic impact on feline behaviour. As Izzy says, perhaps consider adopting one of the strays to give yours some company? Of course the downside of that scheme is that if they've don't get on, you've doubled the problem and in general I think cats are fairly solitary creatures. Despite all the awful sad stories here, I have never considered getting another cat because ours is so territorial I know the arrival of cat 2 would drive him mad. It's so sad that there are so many places where cats have such a grim existence. Tragic that so much of the world is such a dismal place for humans and animals. Sad stuff.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:50
Does he need a playmate? Other that DH ;) Izzy, yeah I think DH would be relieved lol. I totally thought of that. Once we get him fixed, that is something I would like to explore. I wonder if he would be overjoyed, or if he would feel completely betrayed with a rival for his affection lol
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:42
Does he need a playmate? Other that DH ;)
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:32
Artemis, thanks for your input! He's a Persian mix, we think, looks a little like a Shirazi. Besides getting up to follow DH when he goes anywhere, he is about as tame as a piece of furniture for the most part. He will play with his toys by himself a couple of times a day (he has a ton) and the house is fairly large, a 3000 square foot one-story. He sprints through the house at times, "chasing ghosts." Aside from that DH plays with him (almost) every night, to wear him out so he doesn't wake him up at 3am. I am not often there, this is in our other house out of country. Not a place you want to let cats outside due to cruelty, poison in random places, and a lot of strays. He seems to have no interest in going outside, as he runs and hides when we open the door to come or go. He has always seemed pretty content with his setup, but the increased neediness the last 2 weeks has us scratching our heads. ETA: with the food, he gets a little wet food each morning, and tuna 2x a week. Other than that he has dry food that is set out in the morning that he pecks at throughout the day. I wish we din't have him just with the maid 5 days a month but we don't know what else to do right now. <em>edited by Beebers on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:10
awww - he loves him...... Really he got in the shower with him.... running water and all? I often get out of the shower to find multiple sets of eyes staring at me and one of them knocks on the shower door when i am in it...... if you neuter your cat you are actually helping him - he will be less hormonal, will not be needing something he's not getting, more empotionally stable, and you will reduce his risk of multiple different types of cancers.... get them off ASAP. He's got a few rituals like breakfast at 6am, and sitting on the ledge looking out the window from 8-9am (he likes to watch the vegetable vendors ride by) but other than that, he is attached to DH's hip and always has been. We caught him curled up on DH's shoe brush and polish, how is that comfortable? Anything of his is nap space. But this shower thing was like WTF. They're definitely coming off.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:05
[i'>The cat is alone 5 days a month and with the maid, but this is not a new setup. [/i'> Beebers, a couple of thoughts. First up, to reiterate what Nomad said, I would strongly advise you to get him neutered. One of the main reasons is because of the desperate problem of stray cats here, but I understand yours is an indoor cat and I would suggest that poses its own problems. He's young, right? They need lots of play and stimulation because cats in general, but Maus in particular, have loads of energy and if they're not going outside, they don't have any natural setting in which to dissipate that energy by doing all the usual stuff, chasing ghekos, guarding their territory, in the case of ours, rolling over in the sand and returning basted in debris! Has he got enough toys? Try him with toys that move of their own accord, like the battery operated 'mouse.' Being left alone for a long time is going to make him very affection starved, and I've noticed that these local cats really crave affection. Ours will sometimes swipe at me or my husband if we don't stroke him enough, even if he's sitting next to us! As to the shower, cats in general really hate a locked door and will meow outside until they're allowed in, especially in a room which isn't 'off limits,' so I would advise leaving the door open. Also, dry foods can definitely cause manic behaviour. Ours started running up trees and acting deranged when he was given a certain fr 'frenetic' cat food. Never again. I think a mixture of wet and dry is much healthier, ours loves tuna and he has that with a less frenetic dry brand and his behaviour is not as manic. Give me a shout if I can be of any more help and good luck. <em>edited by Artemis2 on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 08:53
mum2girls, It does sound like something happened when you were away. It's possible they might have become slightly wilder after a couple of weeks without much human affection. Does your maid actually like them or does she see them as a burden? Maybe the best plan is for the adults to show them a lot of love and affection but maybe advise your children to not pick them up until you figure out the reason for their apparently changed behaviour. By the way, what cat food are they eating? [b'>Certain dry foods can make cats very manic, maybe switch them to a wet diet for a while.[/b'>... Really? I wonder if wet food would help ours. I almost started my own thread, sorry to hijack here, but our cat is acting like a needy nut. He's always been quite a character, but lately DH said he is following him around everywhere. Like, he hopped in the shower with DH and scared the daylights out of him. Now he makes sure the bathroom door is locked, so he cries. (the cat, not DH). He sits on the keyboard when DH is trying to respond to emails. Every time my DH turns around, he is there staring him down. Talks ALL day. Meow, meow MEOW meow meowwwwww, mew mew. The only time he seems to rebuff affection is when my DH is actually relaxing and would have the time to pet him and play. Are cats just weirdos that want to interrupt everything you do? The cat is alone 5 days a month and with the maid, but this is not a new setup. I suggested fixing him, but he is a 100% indoor cat and DH is against this for some reason. We like his personality, don't even mind the sneaky-divebombs attacks, but the sudden neediness is weird. awww - he loves him...... Really he got in the shower with him.... running water and all? I often get out of the shower to find multiple sets of eyes staring at me and one of them knocks on the shower door when i am in it...... if you neuter your cat you are actually helping him - he will be less hormonal, will not be needing something he's not getting, more empotionally stable, and you will reduce his risk of multiple different types of cancers.... get them off ASAP.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 08:39
As long as he is older than 6 months you are good to go. ;) Thanks :) We *think* he is 7 mos. old, so that's good enough for me. I know as soon as I mention your "looking for a date" comment DH will have him at the vet pronto, instead of thinking he is just being needy lol
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 08:12
Hi Beebers, I would fix him ASAP, sounds like he might be looking for a date ! Next step could be spraying to mark his territory. I know a few men who feel sympathy for males who get neutered ! Recently took a stray male cat in and even the vet admired his endowments, he is an enormous fellow.....Seriously they live a healthier and longer life and I am sure your boy will be a lots less needy and god forbid but if he ever got out he would be less inclined to wonder. Well that settles it. I am going to lay down the law. Thanks, Nomad! :) He thought he was too young, but apparently this is not the case. edited by Beebers on 15/01/2015 As long as he is older than 6 months you are good to go. ;)
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 07:27
My housemaid genuinely likes the cats, I hear her out calling for them if they have not been around for a few hours and she often lets them sleep with her. Plus we go away for most of the summer and she is always left with them and we have never seen this behaviour. I wonder did she secretly leave them in the house for a day or two if she went off to stay with friends unknown to us. We gave up on the wet food as the male cat just meowed all day long in front of the cupboard for more, didn't matter how much wet food we gave him, he was still meowing loudly for more, so we stopped it, but that was more than a year ago. Also I really don't like the smell of the wet food, yuck. Thanks for the insights. hope the cats will settle down soon, it driving me crazy.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 06:57
Hi Beebers, I would fix him ASAP, sounds like he might be looking for a date ! Next step could be spraying to mark his territory. I know a few men who feel sympathy for males who get neutered ! Recently took a stray male cat in and even the vet admired his endowments, he is an enormous fellow.....Seriously they live a healthier and longer life and I am sure your boy will be a lots less needy and god forbid but if he ever got out he would be less inclined to wonder. Well that settles it. I am going to lay down the law. Thanks, Nomad! :) He thought he was too young, but apparently this is not the case. <em>edited by Beebers on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 20:10
Hi Beebers, I would fix him ASAP, sounds like he might be looking for a date ! Next step could be spraying to mark his territory. I know a few men who feel sympathy for males who get neutered ! Recently took a stray male cat in and even the vet admired his endowments, he is an enormous fellow.....Seriously they live a healthier and longer life and I am sure your boy will be a lots less needy and god forbid but if he ever got out he would be less inclined to wonder.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 19:47
mum2girls, It does sound like something happened when you were away. It's possible they might have become slightly wilder after a couple of weeks without much human affection. Does your maid actually like them or does she see them as a burden? Maybe the best plan is for the adults to show them a lot of love and affection but maybe advise your children to not pick them up until you figure out the reason for their apparently changed behaviour. By the way, what cat food are they eating? [b'>Certain dry foods can make cats very manic, maybe switch them to a wet diet for a while.[/b'>... Really? I wonder if wet food would help ours. I almost started my own thread, sorry to hijack here, but our cat is acting like a needy nut. He's always been quite a character, but lately DH said he is following him around everywhere. Like, he hopped in the shower with DH and scared the daylights out of him. Now he makes sure the bathroom door is locked, so he cries. (the cat, not DH). He sits on the keyboard when DH is trying to respond to emails. Every time my DH turns around, he is there staring him down. Talks ALL day. Meow, meow MEOW meow meowwwwww, mew mew. The only time he seems to rebuff affection is when my DH is actually relaxing and would have the time to pet him and play. Are cats just weirdos that want to interrupt everything you do? The cat is alone 5 days a month and with the maid, but this is not a new setup. I suggested fixing him, but he is a 100% indoor cat and DH is against this for some reason. We like his personality, don't even mind the sneaky-divebombs attacks, but the sudden neediness is weird.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 19:25
I agree with Artemis2 it sounds like something happened while you were away. I have seen things that have forced me to take action with regards to maids left with animals to care for. Not having a go at maids but some have a very different idea of animal husbandry...... To be on the safe side treat them as if there has been some sort of issue, lots of love cuddles patience and reassurance from you. Let the maid know that they are REALLY important members of your family and teach her how to treat them. Maybe consider boarding them next time you are away.
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 11:03
mum2girls, It does sound like something happened when you were away. It's possible they might have become slightly wilder after a couple of weeks without much human affection. Does your maid actually like them or does she see them as a burden? Maybe the best plan is for the adults to show them a lot of love and affection but maybe advise your children to not pick them up until you figure out the reason for their apparently changed behaviour. By the way, what cat food are they eating? Certain dry foods can make cats very manic, maybe switch them to a wet diet for a while....
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:59
Yes, they are neutered, we live in a large villa with a big garden. They have the run of both the house and the garden, so it's not lack of space. One of them never seems to know what he wants, he goes out, comes in, goes out again and is constantly meowing. They always got along, this is recent since we came back after the Christmas and New Year break, housemaid was here looking after them. Asked her if something happened and she said no, they were fine. The female one also bit my DD when she picked her up for a cuddle, never happened before or since. Checked her out for bruises, cuts etc and nothing. Wonder what happened !
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:51
Also, do they go outside or are they indoor cats? Two years old is pretty young and they're bound to have lots of energy and need lots of play and stimulation or else they'll get bored and start fighting....
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:47
Do they have enough space?
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 10:47
are they neutered?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY