Fabric Souk | ExpatWoman.com

Fabric Souk

Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 17:16

Hi can anyone recommend a shop in fabric souk for dress material.
Thanks

Latest post on 20 February 2015 - 20:37
hey seahorse, Are you still waiting? Have a date yet?
Latest post on 20 February 2015 - 07:26
Hello seahorse77, I just heard from another lady who "blew up" her sewing machine because she plugged it right into the socket... Also from the US. She didn't check the voltage apparently. I don't know how reliable the adapters are. Singer is a brand that's known in Doha. The bigger supermarkets like Carrefour have some simple Singer machine ranging between 150 and 230 USD or so. There is even a dedicated Singer Shop close to the souq area. Don't know whether this helps in your decision. cheers This is good to know as it gives me an excuse to ditch my current machine here in the US and upgrade to a newer model. Wa ha aaaa! (evil laugh) :lol: :evil:
Latest post on 20 February 2015 - 00:22
Hello seahorse77, I just heard from another lady who "blew up" her sewing machine because she plugged it right into the socket... Also from the US. She didn't check the voltage apparently. I don't know how reliable the adapters are. Singer is a brand that's known in Doha. The bigger supermarkets like Carrefour have some simple Singer machine ranging between 150 and 230 USD or so. There is even a dedicated Singer Shop close to the souq area. Don't know whether this helps in your decision. cheers Hello, I am from the US and I was wondering if I should bring my sewing machine. I have a Singer 9970. I was wondering if I should bring it with me and buy a voltage adapter or if I should leave it here and the States and buy a new one. Any suggestions? edited by seahorse77 on 06/02/2015 <em>edited by kirschtin on 20/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 15 February 2015 - 17:33
Just reading about www.fabricandmore.net which is a new online fabric shop in Dubai. They deliver to all MiddleEast. Also have lovely patterns! :cool:
Latest post on 06 February 2015 - 08:24
I have replied more extensively on the thread about electronics. Check the wattage on your sewing machine and then go from there.
Latest post on 06 February 2015 - 06:25
Hello, I am from the US and I was wondering if I should bring my sewing machine. I have a Singer 9970. I was wondering if I should bring it with me and buy a voltage adapter or if I should leave it here and the States and buy a new one. Any suggestions? <em>edited by seahorse77 on 06/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 February 2015 - 12:02
I like the fabric outlet at Lamcy Plaza - they have a good variety of silks and linens as well as some wools. Regal is a shop that has several outlets in Dubai and Sharjah - their locations are on their website. Bareeze is another favourite and has several outlets. Again, they have a website with location information. They have lovely cottons, linens, chiffons etc. some embroidered (really beautiful) and some plain. I will say the last time I visited the Sharjah outlet I was disappointed with the selection. I'm hoping that the Dubai shop is still well stocked for my next trip. HTH
Latest post on 03 February 2015 - 19:49
marycatherine, where do you buy your fabric in Dubai? I've just moved to Dubai from Doha so would love some tips!
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 14:18
Thanks Sands123 - I do most of my fabric shopping when I visit Dubai. I don't care for the souq area much so wasn't aware of the souqs behind Fanar.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 13:06
There are definitely fabric souqs... They are situated behind the Fanar building (twirly mosque) which is opposite Souq Waqif. The 2 souqs are called Souq Al Diera & Souq Al Asiery (spelling?) Wonderful range of fabrics & sewing accessories
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:48
[strike'>There is no fabric souq per se. There are some areas where there are a number of shops - one is located in Al Sadd behind Royal Plaza.[/strike'> I like the selection, though small, in Regal. For great cotton shirting fabrics, go to one of the men's tailor/fabric shops - they always have a good selection as well as light woolen fabrics and some nice linens but the selection is limited in colors. Bombay Silk near the Mannai R/A and another location on Salwa Road has lots of silks, linens, etc. of various types/weights. Personally, I don't care for their shops, at least the one at Mannai. I find the sales people to be disinterested and seemingly unhappy. Nearly every tailor shop will do small repairs or major alterations. edited by marycatherine on 15/01/2015 <em>edited by marycatherine on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 14 January 2015 - 21:29
Where is the fabric souq? by the way, anyone knows if taylor shops do also small repairs?