Thyroid doctor | ExpatWoman.com

Thyroid doctor

Latest post on 20 January 2015 - 17:38
Hi guys! You can visit Qatar Health & Medical Directory at www.healthandmedical.qa. It features all the lists of all government and private organizations based in Qatar having to do with health industry. Hope it helps somehow. :) <em>edited by tanyaga12 on 20/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 11:12
Dear Romana I'm so sorry to hear about how your friend is feeling and how she has been treated. Unfortunately I can only echo her story as i too suffer from hypothyroidism (Hashimotos) with severe vit B12, vit D and iron deficiencies etc. My advice based on my 10 years experience in Qatar looking for a decent endocrinologist (even saw head endo at Hamad among many many others) is to go elsewhere for treatment. I have left in tears from doctors offices with diagnosis such as 'being lazy', 'needs to have a baby to keep her busy' and 'homesick/ depressed' etc. Its a very difficult disease to treat because blood tests either arent done correctly or the range that is used in Qatar is not up to the latest international standards. I would book an appointment with Dr Amel El Tayeb in Dubai Healthcare City +971 43752344 and go and see him. Ask to be put on urgent waitlist as appointment times are very long and keep calling weekly to see if there is a cancellation. Also just a heads up he doesn't take any insurance and is quite expensive eg Dhs 750 for consultation so just be prepared. He has proved to be the best endo in the region for me, he listens, understands and explains everything. You need to do a lot of your own research too online and books and use your own gut and judgement to decide whats good for you and what isn't. This isnt a clear-cut disease unfortunately and medical science hasn't quite caught up to it. I hope this helps your friend. If she would like to discuss/ask more please leave an email and I'll get back to you. And please tell her this from one sufferer to another: No you are not going mad, its not all in your head, yes EVERYTHING you are feeling and experiencing is really a symptom of this horrible disease AND you can and will get better just hang on a little longer. All the best.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 20:49
She's been at various doctors at Al Ahli, and all of them have been extremely unfriendly and unwilling to look into her problems. Might they have made a note on her file that she's a psycho-case? From what she tells me it almost sounds like it (and I do know clinics do that at times). The endocrinologist she saw gave her a low-dose multivitamine with a massive amount of iodine, while she told him she feels terrible when taking iodine and has a tendency to get a pernicious anemia and wanted B12 shots. Apart from not doing the blood test she asked for to check on her B12 levels one doctor did a useless general B12 test that says nothing about the available B12 and asking for the right test again just got her kicked out with the comment that she's healthy. Thus Al Ahli might not be the best place to go to. <em>edited by Romana on 15/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 14:35
Hi Romana, I see Dr. Mohammed Elrishi at Al Alhi hospital. He has been treating me since last summer and he is very thorough (he will arrange for full blood tests and ultrasound quickly). He is an Endocrinologist and well versed in thyroid issues. As with many endos I get the impression that his belief is that medication is the only thing that can treat an under-active thyroid and therefore I have had to do a lot of online research myself in terms suitable diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and supplements. But if you are looking for someone who will do the necessary tests and provide medication he is fine. If anyone else has any other recommendations though I believe it is worth seeing a few different doctors for thyroid issues as you need to be able to build a relationship your endocrinologist. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 09:22
Second, similar request: a friend of mine is really struggling with all sorts of health problems in combination with bad doctors at the moment. I'm trying to help, but cannot offer much apart from some medical knowledge as I had not much luck with doctors here either. Can anyone recommend her a thyroid in Doha? This doctor should know the current lab ranges of TSH (it's not 0.5-5, but lower) and know what thyroid antibodies in the blood mean. This doctor should ideally also be able to deal with various mineral and vitamin deficiencies, and know how they interact with each others and with potential thyroid issues. Doing some searching for her I stumbled upon Dr Giorgia at Doha Clinic a few times. Is she still around, and does she really understand blood results? <em>edited by Romana on 15/01/2015</em>