Can you flush toilet paper down the WC? | ExpatWoman.com

Can you flush toilet paper down the WC?

Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 14:00

We're told not to flush toilet paper down the WC in the apartment where we are staying now. We are moving to Saheel in Arabian Ranches, anyone know if it is alright to flush toilet paper in the WC without clogging the pipeline?

Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 00:19
I am going to flush toilet paper down for a while until such a time when it clogs.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 22:12
I emailed Emaar asking if i can flush down toilet paper and if AR drainage system is built to take paper waste. The reply i received is a straight to the point and big fat "NO"! :cry: This is not true, the pipes can take it.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 11:42
I emailed Emaar asking if i can flush down toilet paper and if AR drainage system is built to take paper waste. The reply i received is a straight to the point and big fat "NO"! :cry:
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 18:20
Chezmoi, How old is the house you are living in now? I am thinking could the newer houses have better plumping system, and that they won't clog with toilet papers or wet napkins being flushed down. I had experienced clogged toilet and it was really unpleasant. I'm hoping the 10+ years old Saheel villas have better plumping system. The house I am talking about is about 6 years old, so fairly new. Its in the UK though not Dubai. I was surprised this happened because traditionally we always throw paper and towels down the toilets here without issues. First time I had this problem in the UK, its not on a septic tank or anything like that, the house is connected to a modern sewer system, so those wipes can obviously be really destructive. <em>edited by chezmoi on 16/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 17:51
Chezmoi, How old is the house you are living in now? I am thinking could the newer houses have better plumping system, and that they won't clog with toilet papers or wet napkins being flushed down. I had experienced clogged toilet and it was really unpleasant. I'm hoping the 10+ years old Saheel villas have better plumping system.
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 09:34
As saralou said, wet wipes do cause blockages, even the ones that claim to be flushable are just as bad. They do not dissolve as they are fabric and its misleading of manufacturers to call them flushable because although you can certainly can flush them away they don't dissolve like paper and will certainly cause a major blockage quite quickly because they adhere to the pipes until they completely close the flow off. My plumber told me those wet wipes are the best thing that ever happened for the plumbing industry, especially for companies like Dyno Rod! Oh really? I have been using flushable wipes for years in my toilets and I have never had a blockage. I am concerned about what you mention, though. How quick is quickly? I can only speak from experience really, in the house I am now it took just 3 months for the 3 bathrooms plumbing to come to a complete blockage with the occasionsl use of "flushable" wet wipes. The wipes had to be extracted by machine from the toilets to all the waste pipes and from the mains outside the house where they had all matted up into a huge ball. I guess the plumbing infrasture can be different from place to place, so if you are throwing wipes down the pan without issues for some time you may be ok.
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 09:03
Collecting toilet paper with pee, menstrual blood, poo over into a separate trash can next to the toilet is the most disgusting, unhygienic and harmful practice I have ever seen. It stays there all day, attracting flies, emitting smell, contaminating the wall, the bin, even the seat in contact. Bacteria live there happily. Many offices enforce this to their staff, sadly, forcing the cleaner to deal with the mountain of dangerous waste. In reality, toilet paper cause no harm to any toilet in dubai. The wire mesh myth is untrue. Such mesh would stop dense type poo too, and then what is the toilet for, if it does not take poo... Toilet paper dissolves in water and causes no problem. Strong wet wipes, napkins, plastic packaging, nappies, empty water bottles, random non-dissolving waste do cause problem, of course. I am unsure from where this disgusting practice originates from. Daily chore of collecting and disposing soiled loo paper is more of a burden than potentially pumping the toilet once in 5 years or so ( I never needed to do for any of my toilets, I do not even have a pump). My bet is it dates back to the loos with pit underneath, that needed to be manually emptied. Luckily, loo technology moved on, so should we! <em>edited by dentro on 16/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 07:56
As saralou said, wet wipes do cause blockages, even the ones that claim to be flushable are just as bad. They do not dissolve as they are fabric and its misleading of manufacturers to call them flushable because although you can certainly can flush them away they don't dissolve like paper and will certainly cause a major blockage quite quickly because they adhere to the pipes until they completely close the flow off. My plumber told me those wet wipes are the best thing that ever happened for the plumbing industry, especially for companies like Dyno Rod! Oh really? I have been using flushable wipes for years in my toilets and I have never had a blockage. I am concerned about what you mention, though. How quick is quickly?
Latest post on 16 January 2015 - 00:00
As saralou said, wet wipes do cause blockages, even the ones that claim to be flushable are just as bad. They do not dissolve as they are fabric and its misleading of manufacturers to call them flushable because although you can certainly can flush them away they don't dissolve like paper and will certainly cause a major blockage quite quickly because they adhere to the pipes until they completely close the flow off. My plumber told me those wet wipes are the best thing that ever happened for the plumbing industry, especially for companies like Dyno Rod!
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 23:39
Thanks all, so I just have to be mindful of not to throw too much toilet paper into the WC.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 22:58
A few wads of TP probably wouldn't clog up the pipes but I wouldn't make a habit of it, years of TP flushing is bound to cause a problem at some point. Saheel are individual homes so you wouldn't have the same problem as in an apartment.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 17:34
No problems in Saheel either...
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 15:55
We lived in Saheel at the Ranches for seven years and flushed the paper with no problems whatsoever. We did make an effort not to flush 'too much' paper at any one flush which may have helped because not one of our four toilets ever became blocked.
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 15:54
We're told not to flush toilet paper down the WC in the apartment where we are staying now. We are moving to Saheel in Arabian Ranches, anyone know if it is alright to flush toilet paper in the WC without clogging the pipeline? Always have and always will. I too live in an Emaar property and have friends in Saheel who use the loo for the paper. The only thing I will say is don't flush masses of loo roll or wet wipes I had a visitor who did the latter and the toilet did get blocked up I couldn't deal with putting everything into nappy bags and then to the rubbish shoot each time
Latest post on 15 January 2015 - 14:17
It must depend on the building. Every place I have lived in there has been no problem. I do hear that in some construction they put wire mesh over the pipes but so far I have been lucky.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY