Tourist advice please | ExpatWoman.com

Tourist advice please

Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 12:18

Can anyone suggest a good, well located hotel for our friends who want to visit Doha? They are Australian and in their late 50's, interested in seeing the history and culture of Doha. What are the must see sites? We live in Dubai and have yet to visit, so unable to offer them any advice. TIA for any help/suggestions you may have.
ETA where to go to buy a gold necklace/chain?
<em>edited by Cherry ripe on 19/01/2015</em>

Latest post on 22 January 2015 - 23:14
We often have guests over and our outings for them include: Katara, Fanar Islamic centre for a tour of the mosque, Souq Waqif, Museum of Islamic Art, dhow ride on the corniche, drive through the City centre area, Pearl, Inland Sea (weather and time permitting). The Sheikh Faisal museum is interesting and different. Maybe they can look at hotels in the City Centre area as taxis etc may be easier to find. I hope they have a good time.
Latest post on 22 January 2015 - 22:09
We've had several visits from family and friends and the things that went down well were: Sheik Faisal museum - booked online for 1pm, followed by a trip to watch the camels training at the nearby racetrack. Very entertaining and some great photo opportunities. A day at the beach is always welcome for visitors from colder climes and a welcome chance to relax. We also arranged a wonderful visit to the Grand Mosque which included a brilliant guide. Other people have mentioned our other top trips - the souk - particularly when there is entertainment on, Katara, sporting and musical events, MOIA and it's flea/craft market on Saturday afternoon, the corniche for a stroll and a boat trip and a trip to the fort. Oh, and dune bashing and/or overnight trip to the singing dunes and the inland sea. Hope there's enough ideas to help people have a lovely trip.
Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 22:40
Hi We have some friends staying with us for a few days, here are some of the things we plan to do with them - Yum yum restaurant then souk wakif. Drive up to the mangroves past Al Khor ( they would need driver/hire car), katara , Museum Islamic Art with lunch at IDAM, dhow trip, walk along corniche, craft market at Mia park, evening at jazz at Lincoln centre, trip to aspire park and the tower, Belgian cafe, prime steakhouse, villagio. There's also the fort at zubarah and film city on the way to Zekreet. Entlak do trips such as kayaking at the mangroves and as mentioned a trip to the inland sea and dune bashing. Hope that helps, there isn't loads to do here but enough for a few days :)
Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 20:06
Dont really know why you think its a wind-up. I assume they are travelling with Qatar on their way back to Oz from Europe. Must admit my initial reaction was also Why? From what I have heard there isnt much to do there, hence my question on here. They have spent a week with us in Dubai a few years ago when they went to Jordan and thats their only middle eastern experiences. I will pass on your comments, not sure how long they are planning there. Thanks for replying.
Latest post on 19 January 2015 - 19:49
Ok I'll bite.... Why??? Doha is not exactly known for its history or culture...How long do they have? Have they been elsewhere in the region? Hotel depends on budget. The Four Seasons or the Grand Hyatt or the St Regis are nice at the top end, or some of the boutique hotels in Souq Waqif for something a bit trendier. Cultural sites... The souq was only rebuilt in the 80s to look old but there are bargains to be found as well as tourist stuff. There is a hop on, hop off bus now, as well as the West Bay bus. If they want to go dune bashing or on a trip to the Inland Sea, I believe Arabian Adventures are recommended as tour operators. My inlaws enjoyed the Mushereib Enrichment Centre anchored by the Sheraton and the Museum of Islamic Art. There is a gold souq as part of Souq Waqif now, as well as the original one behind the bus station.