Sharjah schools incidents | ExpatWoman.com

Sharjah schools incidents

Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 11:56

Both the French and German Schools in Sharjah have had anti French slogans graffitied on their premises, to dismiss both as "random acts by children" does not make sense when the two incidents occured at the same time in different places.

The French principal's reaction that there is "nothing alarming" at all about this is much too blase in view of the curent climate.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/offensive-graffiti-found-at-french-and-ger...

Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 08:32
The policy here is to underplay any unpleasant news and let it die its natural death... esp when there is no serious concern... it works beautifully for the image of the country and keeps the public calm... [b'>except for those who are always on a lookout for something to worry about... [/b'> I agree that intelligence here is on top of everything that's going on in the country and we are in safe hands... I do not think that is a very fair comment bearing in mind the recent attention this subject has received or the consequences of the behaviour of some to this subject. Being vigilant and aware of incidents should not be dealt such belittling in responses. (on here). You are right Lolacat... that we should not belittle any ones concern, and i did not mean to do that... its just that, the growing phobia is general all around the world is a bit daunting and it seems things are blown out of proportion too easily... one feels weary I hope that concerns of all French mothers in UAE and of all mothers in the world irrespective of their nationalities and religion are put to rest soon... edited by Grittt1 on 26/01/2015 <em>edited by Grittt1 on 26/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 19:05
I agree with some points and I disagree with some, but I respect and understand where you are coming from rubyslippers. But nobody should feel threatened or hated. Not here and not anywhere else. Freedom of speech is not a right, it's a big responsibility. Actually, I think an individuals belief on the right to free speech depends greatly on what of the world you are from.... (and whether you use it depends somewhat on what part of the world you are living). Some countries have more freedom than others... But with rights comes responsibilities (hence the laws protecting us ALL from incitement to violence and hatred). Absolutely agree, EVERYONE .has the right to feel safe... (including the French families with children at school in Sharjah). edited by rubyslippers on 25/01/2015 <em>edited by rubyslippers on 25/01/2015</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 18:50
I agree with some points and I disagree with some, but I respect and understand where you are coming from rubyslippers. But nobody should feel threatened or hated. Not here and not anywhere else. Freedom of speech is not a right, it's a big responsibility.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 18:36
Thankfully here in the UAE hate against anyone is dealt with. In other countries it's called freedom of speech. Where is this place that has freedom of speech you speak of? France, USA, UK and all EU have controlled news, people are dealt with as radicals if they speak outside the norm, people are convicted for speaking their minds and accused of being spies for releasing the truth about the government or company. The only difference here is that everything is controlled where the crime or riots are not in your face. Actually Kippling.. when it comes to the UK, you describe a country that I don't recognise. The UK: 1) luckily has very specific laws which deal with stopping hatred and incitement to violence based on gender, sexual orientation, race and religion. 2) has laws dealing with the releasing information which could very well put us the public in danger (and which I am very comfortable about them enforcing it in these troubled times) 3) has specific laws protecting whistle blowers in the cases of business and government where the information being released is in the public interest... Please don't confuse freedom of speech with inciting hatred and violence... the two are and remain very different issues. The former is what we all aspire to in a free society... and luckily we have laws to protect us all from the later. (and you are right - many countries could learn from BOTH these concepts) From what you have written above, it sounds like you are putting the UK in the same club as North Korea! edited by rubyslippers on 25/01/2015 Laws can be in place anywhere, but Europe especially is a place where everybody feels they can just insult whoever they want. It's all very selective. My religion can be ridiculed anywhere at anytime, but any word about other groups are swiftly dealt with. So UAE has things sorted out a lot better. Nobody here can just spew hate, it is not accepted and people don't get away with it. Maroosh, I note that you are addressing your comments to "Europe".. and I feel that is unfair in the same way that you can't lump all of the "Middle East" countries in the same bucket. I am uncomfortable speaking for on the topic of the whole of Europe but am very comfortable about speaking about the UK.... (and in the spirit of free speech, please anyone feel free to disagree) The UK is a place where EVERYONE has the right to express themselves through free speech. These exact rights and privileges allows for the freedom of residents to practice any religion, allows for dissent of values, beliefs, the right to hold government to account through voting, (even setting up your own political party if you are so inclined!) Limiting speech limits many of these advances. Free speech includes others disagreeing with MY religion, political views, marital arrangements, number of children, working arrangements... pretty much anything and please believe me that they do, and often in insulting and rude terms. However I believe that this should still be available to ALL residents.. irrespective of where they come from and what they believe. The right to free speech is something that was very hard fought for in WW2 and is something that the Nazi's tried very hard to stamp out. Personally don't want to experience that world. Where you and I absolutely agree, and what is explicitly NOT allowed by law, is incitement to violence and hatred in any form. THAT is an ongoing problem in my opinion rather than the issues of free speech. When and if these laws are broken, (and they are) it is for the courts to decide and to impose suitably harsh punishment (with my full support I have to add). In my experience that is what happens. THAT is what protects us all. This is explicitly different to freedom of speech As I previously posted.. many countries could learn from the UK's examples.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 17:34
Thankfully here in the UAE hate against anyone is dealt with. In other countries it's called freedom of speech. Where is this place that has freedom of speech you speak of? France, USA, UK and all EU have controlled news, people are dealt with as radicals if they speak outside the norm, people are convicted for speaking their minds and accused of being spies for releasing the truth about the government or company. The only difference here is that everything is controlled where the crime or riots are not in your face. Actually Kippling.. when it comes to the UK, you describe a country that I don't recognise. The UK: 1) luckily has very specific laws which deal with stopping hatred and incitement to violence based on gender, sexual orientation, race and religion. 2) has laws dealing with the releasing information which could very well put us the public in danger (and which I am very comfortable about them enforcing it in these troubled times) 3) has specific laws protecting whistle blowers in the cases of business and government where the information being released is in the public interest... Please don't confuse freedom of speech with inciting hatred and violence... the two are and remain very different issues. The former is what we all aspire to in a free society... and luckily we have laws to protect us all from the later. (and you are right - many countries could learn from BOTH these concepts) From what you have written above, it sounds like you are putting the UK in the same club as North Korea! edited by rubyslippers on 25/01/2015 Laws can be in place anywhere, but Europe especially is a place where everybody feels they can just insult whoever they want. It's all very selective. My religion can be ridiculed anywhere at anytime, but any word about other groups are swiftly dealt with. So UAE has things sorted out a lot better. Nobody here can just spew hate, it is not accepted and people don't get away with it.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 16:39
Thankfully here in the UAE hate against anyone is dealt with. In other countries it's called freedom of speech. Where is this place that has freedom of speech you speak of? France, USA, UK and all EU have controlled news, people are dealt with as radicals if they speak outside the norm, people are convicted for speaking their minds and accused of being spies for releasing the truth about the government or company. The only difference here is that everything is controlled where the crime or riots are not in your face. Actually Kippling.. when it comes to the UK, you describe a country that I don't recognise. The UK: 1) luckily has very specific laws which deal with stopping hatred and incitement to violence based on gender, sexual orientation, race and religion. 2) has laws dealing with the releasing information which could very well put us the public in danger (and which I am very comfortable about them enforcing it in these troubled times) 3) has specific laws protecting whistle blowers in the cases of business and government where the information being released is in the public interest... Please don't confuse freedom of speech with inciting hatred and violence... the two are and remain very different issues. The former is what we all aspire to in a free society... and luckily we have laws to protect us all from the later. (and you are right - many countries could learn from BOTH these concepts) From what you have written above, it sounds like you are putting the UK in the same club as North Korea! <em>edited by rubyslippers on 25/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 12:52
I agree with the last 2 posters. Adding that when it comes to children and the places that you are entrusting their care in when you are not with them you can never be too concerned! I am hoping the schools are at least in communications concerning this with the parents more than what I am seeing on this thread
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 12:37
The policy here is to underplay any unpleasant news and let it die its natural death... esp when there is no serious concern... it works beautifully for the image of the country and keeps the public calm... [b'>except for those who are always on a lookout for something to worry about... [/b'> I agree that intelligence here is on top of everything that's going on in the country and we are in safe hands... I do not think that is a very fair comment bearing in mind the recent attention this subject has received or the consequences of the behaviour of some to this subject. Being vigilant and aware of incidents should not be dealt such belittling in responses. (on here).
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 12:37
I think some of the posters on here could be a bit more respectful of the fact that French mums are clearly concerned..being told that the Police know what's going on is small comfort when you are being singled out because of your nationality... I hope they see fit to make their findings public soon so that the worrying French people can feel re-assured..But it does seem an odd thing to happen...
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 08:52
Thankfully here in the UAE hate against anyone is dealt with. In other countries it's called freedom of speech. Couldn't have put it better :cool:
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 08:49
The policy here is to underplay any unpleasant news and let it die its natural death... esp when there is no serious concern... it works beautifully for the image of the country and keeps the public calm... except for those who are always on a lookout for something to worry about... I agree that intelligence here is on top of everything that's going on in the country and we are in safe hands...
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 January 2015 - 19:34
Thankfully here in the UAE hate against anyone is dealt with. In other countries it's called freedom of speech.
Latest post on 24 January 2015 - 18:40
Regardless of whether the police know who did it or not, it is very concerning to see that there is anti-French sentiment in the UAE. As a mother of three children attending a French school in Dubai I find it very disturbing.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 15:05
I agree with ER, why give this incident anymore time and attention? It's dealt with and that's the end of it. Incidents like there are not handled the same everywhere, we live in a different part of the world, not everything that happens gets hashed out over and over.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 14:18
If the police know and its only kids you would think they would come out with some kind of statement at least to reassure people this is not an incident that should concern the public. That is not how things are dealt with here. By making this statement, they are acknowledging the fact that it was done. The approach here is to give the event no face whatsoever - it is so null that it does not even deserve a comment, it is hype. There are many things that will not be in the paper. If it is in the paper and not in court, you have nothing to worry about. Stay calm. You are safe here. Disconuting events like the Iboyla Ryan situation, "terri" is not something I would ever expect to uprise here. Security is at the front of the UAE priorities. <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 23/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 13:44
If the police know and its only kids you would think they would come out with some kind of statement at least to reassure people this is not an incident that should concern the public.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 13:22
Yes, I agree with ER. The Principal may not know, but the police sure do...
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 13:04
The principal doesn't know. The police here know everything. And if it seems they do not, then they are letting you think they do not and are confident there is nothing for you to worry about. The only thing they do not know are random acts but those are outed very fast. I think anyone who knows the police force here well will share this confidence. Not the traffic poise, the police police. So I would not be worried or alarmed in the slightest.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 12:45
It does not sound like they know who did or the Principal would not have said “It was [b'>probably[/b'> young kids that did this; there is nothing alarming about this,” And the police have not made any comment so cannot see how anyone can know that they have solved it already.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 12:35
I agree with the principal, that there is nothing to be alarmed about. If I have seen anything over the years, it is that the UAE police force take security very seriously and chances are that before you read this article, before the newspaper interviewed the principal, the police already were aware of who had done it. And they will have decided whether this was a random act otherwise the person will be on their way home by now. <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 23/01/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY