URGENT - Friend with child looking for a room | ExpatWoman.com

URGENT - Friend with child looking for a room

Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 12:22

A friend is urgently (as her lease is up) looking for a room to rent for her and her 5yo son for a few months.
She is a western professional woman who would ideally like to rent an empty maid's room with a separate entrance as she does not want to feel she is imposing and is quite happy to keep to herself.
If you have an empty maid's room or something of the sort, please let me know at mercedes dot king71 at gmail dot com
Thanks so much

Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 09:16
Just to add my two cents, probably won't help but OP said friend needs for a few months. Maybe she is leaving Dubai but only needs to finish the work contract or similar situation. Hotel apartment might be an option in this case, and if she is a professional money shouldn't be that tight, although I think the cheapest option might be 8k but don't quote me on that. Surely they must offer monthly rentals here. And another thing, the maid room being too small isn't the problem. I basically lived in a maid room with my 3yo for a long time, it had its own bathroom and wardrobe and it was fine. It wasn't in a strangers place though that's the difference.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 22:40
Sometimes circumstances change quickly and people are in a difficult situation. but so many questions arise with this particular situation - is the mom working and if so, how will she afford childcare/ school fees if she cant afford her own studio/ one-bed apartment? If she's not working, how will she pay the rent regardless of where she lives, or feed herself and her child? she must have known her lease was going to expire, why did she not find alternatively accommodation before the last minute? If she has no money and is homeless, she might be better off seeking assistance to return to her home country rather than remaining here in what can only be described as unstable and uncertain circumstances. This is not a place where you want to be homeless and broke with a child, living in a stranger's maid's room. IMHO the most valuable response on this thread. As far as the subletting issues, be really sure of what you are getting into is all I can add. Hope your friend gets sorted m_king.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 21:35
Usually at supermarkets there are signs up for room rentals. Perhaps she can go look there. Also plenty of room rentals advertised on gulf news classified ads online. p.s. for those who keep wagging their fingers about how illegal it is...remember majority of Satwa and Karama is subletting and nobody cares. I am not wagging my finger, I am giving a friendly warning. OK, many people flat share and/or sublet and most of the time a blind eye is turned by the authorities here. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be aware that they might find themselves in an awkward situation without a legal leg to stand on if they have a problem with their neighbours, or when it comes to renewing their residence visa and having to present an attested tenancy contract in their or their sponsor's name. It seems many people think it is legal for unrelated people to share homes in they same way as is done in the west, but just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it any more legal here, strictly speaking.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 21:20
Usually at supermarkets there are signs up for room rentals. Perhaps she can go look there. Also plenty of room rentals advertised on gulf news classified ads online. p.s. for those who keep wagging their fingers about how illegal it is...remember majority of Satwa and Karama is subletting and nobody cares.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 20:49
Dear m_king, All the best.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 20:32
Dear m_king, It looks like you question is not amswered but other million things have been brought up instead. I don't have a room to suggest too. But, just a tidbit of information which I would advise you to run a search on subletting details compared to what some contributors have written. It is not illegal but with requirements to follow. Good luck. Her question has been answered. She has been advised to check Dubizzle, and has been told that maids rooms are too small for 2 people to live in. What else does she need to hear?
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 19:50
Dear m_king, It looks like you question is not amswered but other million things have been brought up instead. I don't have a room to suggest too. But, just a tidbit of information which I would advise you to run a search on subletting details compared to what some contributors have written. It is [b'>not illegal[/b'> but [b'>with requirements[/b'> to follow. Good luck. <em>edited by Rafflesia on 25/01/2015</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 18:02
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself. Thank you, I will when I need something it provides :cool: Excellent - then we need not heer from you for quite a while - one hopes! edited by JEAHH45 on 25/01/2015 Didn't you just tell someone to post something nice or go to elsewhere? Absolutely but no need to bring someone down when asking a perfectly simple question...Surprised at you Marroosh... DT said nothing wrong so there is nothing to be surprised at. Can't say the same about your responses to her.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 17:52
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself. Thank you, I will when I need something it provides :cool: Excellent - then we need not heer from you for quite a while - one hopes! edited by JEAHH45 on 25/01/2015 Didn't you just tell someone to post something nice or go to elsewhere? Absolutely but no need to bring someone down when asking a perfectly simple question...Surprised at you Marroosh...
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 17:27
Now why do people here feel the need to often give unsolicited advice. none of you know the exact situation of the OP's friend . she didn't ask for advice. if you cant help then don't respond. Because some posts raise questions. If the OP has no money for a normal room or apartment and she has a child then there is a problem and she should not risk getting into more problems by staying. A single person or someone with a child in a small room is a huge difference.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 17:26
I thought sub-letting villas was illegal here, and I doubt you'd get a separate maid's entrance in an apartment..why would anyone with a 5 year old even contemplate this ? It is officially, but then it seems it depends on who is living in a villa, if it's men or women. The rule came when years ago when a villa caught fire and they found out a few dozen workers had been sharing it. They don't seem to mind if it's 1 person to a room, especially not women.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 17:23
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself. Thank you, I will when I need something it provides :cool: Excellent - then we need not heer from you for quite a while - one hopes! edited by JEAHH45 on 25/01/2015 Didn't you just tell someone to post something nice or go to elsewhere?
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 16:44
OP - wish your friend all the best.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 16:35
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself. Thank you, I will when I need something it provides :cool: Excellent - then we need not heer from you for quite a while - one hopes! <em>edited by JEAHH45 on 25/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 16:18
Now why do people here feel the need to often give unsolicited advice. none of you know the exact situation of the OP's friend . she didn't ask for advice. if you cant help then don't respond. However, the OP's friend is asking for someone to act illegally on her behalf. Maybe they are both unaware of this, as are some of the posters here, apparently.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 15:21
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself. Thank you, I will when I need something it provides :cool:
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 14:20
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015 Yet again....if you cannot least post a nice response - go to Dubizzle yourself.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 14:01
try looking for a majlis for her. It is bigger and usually has a bathroom and kitchenette. Some of the older local villa's let them out. Though I am not sure for how much anymore. If funds are an issue thenshe can have a look at cheaper places like Sharjah or Ajman.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 10:38
Because this is a forum, and that's what people on a forum do ? If you don't want that then go to Dubizzle.. <em>edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 10:34
Now why do people here feel the need to often give unsolicited advice. none of you know the exact situation of the OP's friend . she didn't ask for advice. if you cant help then don't respond.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 10:27
Sometimes circumstances change quickly and people are in a difficult situation. but so many questions arise with this particular situation - is the mom working and if so, how will she afford childcare/ school fees if she cant afford her own studio/ one-bed apartment? If she's not working, how will she pay the rent regardless of where she lives, or feed herself and her child? she must have known her lease was going to expire, why did she not find alternatively accommodation before the last minute? If she has no money and is homeless, she might be better off seeking assistance to return to her home country rather than remaining here in what can only be described as unstable and uncertain circumstances. This is not a place where you want to be homeless and broke with a child, living in a stranger's maid's room.
Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 09:25
I thought sub-letting villas was illegal here, and I doubt you'd get a separate maid's entrance in an apartment..why would anyone with a 5 year old even contemplate this ?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 18:39
I am currently in a maid's room at an aquitance's house. It is small. No access to a kitchen. 1 Small wardrobe and a small shower room. For 1 person it's doable. I have taken care of my own cooking arrangements, the shower is big enough for 1. But I can't imagine having another human living with me in the same space, apart from my cat. Your friend is better off going through Dubizzle ads. I can imagine when renting with a child looking for a room won't be easy.
Latest post on 23 January 2015 - 18:32
Really? Why on earth would anyone feel a need to rate this? I'm just trying to help someone who could very much do with a touch of compassion.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY