Confused - at what age do you start school here? | ExpatWoman.com

Confused - at what age do you start school here?

Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 13:43

Hi Ladies,

Ive just had a baby and need to submit a few applications into schools so I'm on the waiting lists... but I'm really confused as to what year he will start, and I believe there has been some changes recently as well.

He was born in November 2014, and will be enrolled in a British curriculum school. So would he be starting in September to 2018 (so, in September 2018 he will be 3 years old turning 4)? And to confirm, this is for F1.

And anything before this is nursery, correct? Or is F1 a kind of like a nursery as well?

Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 20:42
Just check with the schools you like about their cut off dates in case some have moved their cut off date to 31dec instead of August/sept. At this stage most are keeping the old rule of being 3 before you start. If its your first child and they are close to being 4, then an fs1 at a school is a wise choice in my opinion. If they are a younger child, not yet toilet trained and already have a sibling at the school and you want to keep longer hours in care, then another year at nursery may be a good choice as sibling priority could get you a spot in fs2. If you are working, you will need to check what after school clubs the schools have or make other arrangements if you can't collect your child at 12.30 or whatever time the fs1 class finishes.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 19:19
Thanks Ladies for confirming. Couch Potato.. what do you mean by "There are pros and cons to starting school at FS1 age, it works for some and not others. " Excuse my ignorance as I really have no idea what the pros or cons could be as this is my first baby. I work fulltime so I'm thinking my baby will already be used to a nursery environment anytime after the age of one. So I would imagine its not much different. But Id love to hear what the cons are?
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 17:33
Hi JJ, Yes, your LO would be 3, turning 4 in that year if they started FS1. You don't have to do FS1 at school, many start in FS2. It really depends on the school you choose and whether you will get a place if you wait until FS2. Some like to start at FS1 to get a foot in the door, or for other reasons. There are pros and cons to starting school at FS1 age, it works for some and not others. :)
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 17:28
Most FS1 in my son's school are 3, turning 4 so that sounds about right. There are differences from nursery, I don't know all of them as my kid wasn't in FS1 but one being they have to be toilet trained and two, if the sponsors company pays for school, they should qualify starting at FS1.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 15:36
Yes, he should start in September 2018 in FS 1. FS1 actually comes under the realm of nursery, even if it is taught in a school....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY