School fees on costs - how much to budget? | ExpatWoman.com

School fees on costs - how much to budget?

Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 13:15

I've heard a few people mention that on top of the school fees there are lots of other fees for various things. Obviously I would expect school meals, transport and extra curricular activities would be extra but how much to budget for these extras and are there any other things I might not be aware of that I should budget for?

This is for FS1 for one child in a British Curriculum school if that makes any difference.

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:26
Hi our school charges AED1k per child per month for the bus. We don't have school meals, but I'd say they are around AED30-40 per day. Then you have to budget for outings and school trips. We are paying AED1450 for a 3 day (2 night) residential trip to RAK in April.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:03
Don't forget all the odd AED 10 for non uniform days, charity collections and special days. Book sales in the school as well, you don't have to spend but we usually end up buying a few books.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 04:28
The school we're at has both free activities and bring from outside. the field trips are more like 150 though. There isn't any cafeteria food so we pack from home, and with mostly veggies and fruits, milk, etc i have more of a problem with them eating it all than the cost.... Seems lunchtime is distracting haha! And we've just had an "accident" with scissors on a uniform shirt so that'll need to be replaced- I think it's 75 Dhs. I have them buy their own end of year gift (none at Christmas and the pta or such didn't ask) so they get to pick it out themselves, and it's around 150. The gift contribution is optional, I don't do it because they just give them cash, and 250 Dhs x 20 students is a lot imo, and they didn't even thank the children for it last year (well it does come from the parents technically) and seem to expect it with little gratitude so I was really put off abt the whole thing.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 21:12
Probably the biggest thing to budget for is the annual hike in fees. We have been here three years and every year fee has been increased ..think one year was 5%and the next year was 7%. Some schools have a lot of free extra curricular activities..other schools predominantly bring in outside providers. These can work out at around AED per session. Most schools have a couple of trips a year, maybe another AED100 per trip. Then in maybe year 5 or 6 there tends to be residential trips for one or two nights. Cost of those isn't cheap and many schools say they are part of the curriculum. Uniforms are another cost as generally each school has specific uniform ie you can't just pop into Asda and purchase cheaply. They tend to wear quickly not to mention lost on regular occasions. Depends on schools but as another poster says a lot of the schools don't have canteens. End of year and Xmas gifts for teachers can also add up. I tends to be that class rep collects a specified amount of money from all parents to cover gifts. I think I paid AED250 this year for one child.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 19:07
Only new schools have canteens. Older schools still have parents pack in their lunchboxes for the school day. The good british schools in Dubai are all old and thus do not have canteens.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 13:37
Thanks Cherpie! I'd forgotten about uniforms! I probably won't need to use the transport and certainly not for the first 3 or 4 years. but just curious what to budget for the future. And I meant the budget for canteen/ cafeteria.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 13:33
My response is kind of vague but by transport, assuming you mean bus?? I wouldn't bus personally unless there is absolutely no alternative especially that young but I'd estimate anywhere from 6-8k per year depends on which bus company. And by meals, do you mean canteen/cafeteria or home packed? I'd guess either way, 200-300 per month and that's on the low side. Extra activities at schools aren't often offered for the young students, but if they are the school tells you in advance and it depends on the activity. Football as example was 800 Dhs for only ten weeks. ETA Uniforms! I'd say 1500 minimum. <em>edited by Cherpie on 27/01/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY