German shepherd, English Bulldog or Pug | ExpatWoman.com

German shepherd, English Bulldog or Pug

Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 14:32

Hi Ladies,

I'm in search of a pup to keep me company. I've narrowed my preference down to the 3 following:
German Shepherd
English Bulldog
Silver Pug
Unfortunately while searching online I have run into scam after scam after scam (even ones bold enough to call my phone with a think African accent when their pictures show a white person holding the pups).
Do any of you know where I can get a pedigree from within the UAE? I am not really looking for a full grown dog as I'd like to be there from the start to train and care for it. Help :thinking:

Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 00:01
I have a friend who special ordered a Pomeranian puppy from petzone. She saw pics and descriptions of their temperaments, of all the puppies they had available from different breeders. She seems really happy with her puppy, and no health issues. Pics and descriptions, seriously???!!! How does a "pic" show a temperament and of course no-one lies in a description in order to make a few bucks! This makes me so very sad! Yes, your friends puppy may be healthy, but it's poor mum is still stuck somewhere, alone, trapped in a tiny, stinky cage, churning out puppies only for them to be dragged away from her before they should be. She will have litter after litter after litter after litter until she either dies from it or is killed because she can't get pregnant anymore. Bravo to your friend for funding puppy mills and getting lucky and getting a healthy pup.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 18:49
Thanks for all your concern on how I should treat my pup (if I can find one), however I would not be looking for one if I had never had experience owning, training, and taking good care of it. My place is very well set up for any type of dog (with an outside airconditioned house if it's a German Shephered or in my own house if it's a bulldog or pug). FairyDust, thank you for the websites. However, as mentioned I am looking for a specific type and breed. I've looked up K9 Friends already but still remain firm about my decision for a pedigree pup. Some of those that have replied are very active in animal welfare in DXB. I have have seen the results of people buying specific breeds that are NOT SUITED to the climate.......PUGS, BULLDOGS,BOSTON TERRIERS to name a few. Airlines are not keen on transporting these breeds for good reason, they don't travel well at altitude.....result ,they HOPEFULLY get adopted out but a large no are abandoned. You came on and asked for advice and have got it from long time members, some have been in DXB a long time seen it all. As far as Petzone is concerned "seeing a picture and reading a description" my reply is " I have a bargain bridge to sell , can send pictures "........... Personally I have no problems with the fact that you are after a specific breed but do the responsible thing buy from an ETHICAL breeder in a country that has strong animal rights laws.Any breeder worth their salt will insist on meeting you, filling out loads of paperwork, meeting the pups parents and endless questions on your motivations and reasons for wanting a specific breed. edited by Nomad on 28/01/2015 <em>edited by Nomad on 28/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 16:08
I have a friend who special ordered a Pomeranian puppy from petzone. She saw pics and descriptions of their temperaments, of all the puppies they had available from different breeders. She seems really happy with her puppy, and no health issues.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 15:40
Bring it in yourself. They often sell the pups too small here and they then get a disease and you end up paying a fortune in medical bills or the pups even die. So many sad stories.... Time to time there are pugs or bulldogs advertised on dubizzle. I always wanted a pug...
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 15:24
Hi I have a GS who is now 13. We got her as a puppy whilst living in the UK & brought her here around 8 years ago. She's long haired and has had no problems regarding the heat, although she is treated as a pet and lives inside & the AC is left on for her during the warmer weather. She has never had any skin problems, although during the summer she is shaved! When she was younger she was walked twice a day and off the lead, so she had the opportunity to run and get lots of exercise. All big dogs will need lots of exercise and attention especially when they are young. All pets are expensive. She is a very loyal dog who has been a big part of our family. The children came after she did and we have had no problems.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 14:20
I guess I may end up having to do just that, or not get one at all if I can't find a good pet shop :( There are NO good pet shops, that do not import from puppy mills. Also don't assume the rescue organisations don't get pedigree dogs - they 100% do. One had several pugs recently looking for homes. So please go through their websites thoroughly or contact them and ask. SCADS also have 3 GS looking for homes. Please bear in mind what we've said about the snub nosed breeds. You might well get one into the country, but getting out is another matter entirely. <em>edited by FairyDust on 28/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 14:02
take a look at these two puppies...... https://www.facebook.com/38Smiles?fref=nf
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:59
I guess I may end up having to do just that, or not get one at all if I can't find a good pet shop :(
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:57
In that case - please find a reputable breeder in Europe / UK and import the dog yourself.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:54
Thanks for all your concern on how I should treat my pup (if I can find one), however I would not be looking for one if I had never had experience owning, training, and taking good care of it. My place is very well set up for any type of dog (with an outside airconditioned house if it's a German Shephered or in my own house if it's a bulldog or pug). FairyDust, thank you for the websites. However, as mentioned I am looking for a specific type and breed. I've looked up K9 Friends already but still remain firm about my decision for a pedigree pup.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 10:30
If you get a bulldog or a pug, potty training might be more difficult since these dogs can't handle the heat (and they are also a little stubborn). So you might have to train them to use a sand box in the house like a cat. They will eventually get the hang of it, it just may take a little longer to train them. German sheps on the other hand will learn commands faster, and potty training them is easier since they can handle being outdoors for longer periods of time. However these dogs often get seasonal heat rashes and treating their skin takes a lot of time and expense. Whatever breed of dog you choose to get they are all a lot of work and responsibility. The more work and training you put in at the start all shows later on when you have a well behaved dog. And all dogs get bored, and boredom leads to destruction, like digging holes, eating the sofa, eating your shoes, and sometimes smaller dogs can be more destructive, so it's not just about size.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:38
There are very few airlines which will let pugs travel - so unless you are planning on staying her 15 years you will add to the abandoned pet population. There are two puppies that have been abused and need a home, if you look at 38 smiles on facebook their details are there - its horrific and they need a loving family.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:23
A friend had a pug who died when they were back in the UK for the summer...the helper let him be outside for too long and when he came back inside, because the ac was off, he couldn't cool down quickly enough...terribly tragic and a lesson that you would need to be extremely careful here with that breed of dog...
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 15:00
Also to mention that many airlines will not fly Bulldogs and Pugs, due to their stub noses. So even if you ahd one, when you leave how would you take it with you? GS - require LOT of attention, exercise and stimulation. A bored one of those becomes very destructive.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 14:54
There are no reputable breeders for those breeds in the UAE. They all come from puppy mills in Eastern Europe from vile conditions, sent half way round the world, under age and many sick. Please don't buy a dog. Check these rescue organizations, all of which have puppies looking for homes. Animal Action Abu Dhabi - https://www.facebook.com/AnimalActionAbuDhabi?fref=ts SNIFF - https://www.facebook.com/SNIFF.MiddleEast?fref=ts Sharjah Cat & Dog Shelter - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sharjah-Cat-Dog-Shelter/257901658391?fref=ts Dubai ANimal Welfare Society - https://www.facebook.com/DubaiAnimalWelfareSociety?fref=ts Dubai Senior Dog Project - https://www.facebook.com/Dubaiseniordogproject?fref=ts Animal Welfare Project UAQ - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Animal-Welfare-Project-UAQ/403544929787083?fref=ts

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY