camping and bugs | ExpatWoman.com

camping and bugs

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 07:56

DH has decided that we should go camping this weekend. I'm a little more of a glamper than a camper if I have to be but...camping it is!

I'm also rather nervous of creepy crawlies, especially ones I don't know about...

Rather nervous might be an understatement.

Everyone else thinks it's funny and is really looking forward to it.

Is there any thing (with many legs) that i actually need to look out for?

Desert not mountains if that makes any difference.

shudder!

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 14:38
Just wear boots/proper shoes all the time, choose your camping spot well and you will be fine. Nothing really bites you here unless you are unlucky. My friend was bitten a scorpion once in 7 years only because she did not wear any shoes and they go camping every second weekend. They never seen a snake :-)
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 10:16
The chances of actually seeing creepy crawlies in the desert is quite low. Just make sure you take a Jacket cuz it does get really cold.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 10:01
And don't forget a hat to sleep in
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:23
Camel spiders. A friend found one in his rig boots. I can understand your reluctance to go camping, never done it myself. Never intend to!
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:20
Hahaha, this is exactly why I have never been camping in the nine years we've been here...it's the thought of what might be around if you go to the loo in the night that particularly scares me to death! Good luck...!
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 09:09
I'd like to say thank you to both of you I'd like to...but what I really want to say is AGGGGHHHHHHH :cry: Oh gosh...I think I might be being a bit of a coward here and will have to resolve to go. Wrapped in many layers and trying to smile. Thank you both, more informed and more scared :biggrin: <em>edited by lovingthesun on 28/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 08:56
If you are desert camping, I wouldn't worry too much about snakes...we very rarely seem them. Scorpions, lizards, spiders and beetles however...loads. For the most part you would have to actively seek them out though, they're about as interested in an encounter with you as you are with them. You just need to bare in mind that at this time of year it's cold at night and they will be seeking warmth. Just take sensible precautions: wear shoes and shake them out before putting them on. Keep your tent zipped and not just when you are in it. Use your (suitably clad) feet to over turn things like rocks and sticks before picking them up. Don't go poking your hands through those clumps of desert growth on the dunes. And take LOADS of winter woolies...it's really cold out there at night :)
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 08:25
http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/snakes.asp
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 08:24
shoudln't you be more concerned of those with no legs?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY