Help with getting married in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Help with getting married in Dubai

Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 11:41

Morning ladies

I've just got engaged and wanted to look at the possibilities of getting married in Dubai. Most of our friends are here so it makes sense.

We are both expats & Catholic. He's Canadian & I'm a Brit.

He's previously been married and since divorced and so as I understand he can't marry again in a Catholic Church.

So, my question is: has anyone gone through the process of getting married in Dubai and can give me a few pointers?

If this process looks a bit too tedious I was thinking of getting married outside of Dubai and having a celebration back in Dubai afterwards.

TIA

Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 14:20
Wow completely missed this news! Huge Congratulations!!! :flower::heart:
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 18:20
If you have the same religion and not in a hurry, your church can help you like the other ladies above. At least you get to celebrate right after your wedding! But if you want a quick and easy steps to get married, I suggest you get married in Cyprus. I'm not sure about Canadians, but with Brits, all you need to bring is your passport and birth certificate, you will just need to buy stamps there at the town hall for your letter stating you are single. On the day you submit your requirements, they can marry you in 3days! You need to email them beforehand of the date you want to get married, they reply to emails efficiently. Congratulations btw! ;)
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 17:01
Thank you ladies. Blimey I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it looks like once you have your paper work in order it's pretty plain sailing. So I guess you have your wedding in the church & then reception at you venue of choice, a bit like being in the UK I guess.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:07
Same as Kezzler, my first marriage, hubby's 2nd and we got married in Christ Church Jebel Ali. They made everything so very easy and simple. You just need to attend a marriage counseling session, which was really funny actually. FairyDust, were you in mine???? We did have a giggle, it was very odd. This was a couple of years ago, but it was so funny. We did laugh a lot. The Reverend is a funny old bean. Like you we had a bit of an issue with hubby's decree absolute. Had to get it from Germany, translated and notified in English for the church. But we paid them to register our marriage certificate, so that was one less hassle.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:03
Same as Kezzler, my first marriage, hubby's 2nd and we got married in Christ Church Jebel Ali. They made everything so very easy and simple. You just need to attend a marriage counseling session, which was really funny actually. FairyDust, were you in mine???? We did have a giggle, it was very odd.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 13:01
Same as Kezzler, my first marriage, hubby's 2nd and we got married in Christ Church Jebel Ali. They made everything so very easy and simple. You just need to attend a marriage counseling session, which was really funny actually.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 12:51
Congratulations SH12. I married here last year, my first time and hubby's second (we're both Brits). We married at Christ Church in Jebel Ali and the process was pretty simple. What they do require is proof that your fiancé is legally divorced, therefore his Decree Absolute. This was the sticking point for us to start with as hubby had no idea where his was and it took months to get a duplicate from the court in the UK. The church will not agree to see you both until you can provide this. However, we finally got it and from there on it's pretty simple. You will need to make an appointment to meet with the Reverend initially to talk about your love, commitment etc (all rather bizarre as it was with another couple as well, a tad embarrassing, but we had a giggle about it). Then, if the Rev agrees (which she or he will I'm sure), you can set your date. After this you will need to get sworn affidavits from your embassies (not sure if this is the same for Canadians) to show you are not already married. These are only valid for 3 months (from the British Embassy anyway) and so you will need to marry within 3 months of getting the affidavit. After that it's plain sailing, you're good to go and get married (dates permitting). The church is very helpful and will tell you everything you need to know and do. Oh I forgot to add, they do encourage you to attend their wedding seminar on a Friday. Once you have married, they can also arrange for your wedding certificate to be attested by the courts here for a cost of 900 dhs. Hope that helps and Good Luck. :)
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 11:56
I do not know if it is possible to re-marry again in church as a Catholic but to have a marriage legally recognised here in Dubai it would need to take place in one of the churches. I would suggest contacting them first as they are usually very helpful and knowledgeable. If this is not a valid option there are lots of options for getting married outside of the UAE. Good luck :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY