Coconut oil for dogs skin allergies | ExpatWoman.com

Coconut oil for dogs skin allergies

Latest post on 04 February 2015 - 18:35
Glad you had a success. We also did with coconut oil and we also added turmeric to their food :-)
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 19:47
http://www.dogingtonpost.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-dogs/ This has a little more about oral dosage.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 18:30
Thanks LTS and FD on my way down to find Manuka honey. LC we have been adding Omega 3 to her food for the past 6 months , but will give the coconut oil a try if we have another break out. I am so thrilled as she is an abused rescue and the head cone sent her into a terrible state so had to find an alternative. Hope it works for your pup Suzy. <em>edited by Nomad on 29/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 11:07
Nomad, one of mine has dry skin and i feed a couple of teaspoons a day of coconut oil mixed into the food and when i wash use a rinse of coconut oil. It really is excellent, i also use it on my skin and use as a hair conditioner. We also now cook with it. Try feeding as well, start with very small amounts, you do not need much, just a teaspoon or two a day in the food.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 10:22
Coconut oil is amazing for dogs and cats. Also if they have any cuts or scraps, Manuka honey can be put on them - it's a natural antibacterial and kills all bacteria - amazing stuff.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 09:45
Thanks for the tip Nomad. Always good to learn about natural remedies that have worked for others. One of my dogs has a small dry patch on the 'elbow'. I will try the coconut oil. I love coconut oil already. I use it to remove my makeup.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 08:43
Agreed! My UK vet also mentioned that adding a very very very (his words) tiny amount of honey to the mix also ups the efficacy of the coconut oil. He said it had to be a very small amount (he described it as a couple of drops in a shampoo bottle) compared to the oil. Worked really well but we do seem to have to repeat it every couple of months.
Latest post on 28 January 2015 - 23:47
Thought I would pass this on as I know some have had similar issues. I have been trying now for almost two years to treat a dry skin allergy on my Dobies belly and between her back legs. We have tried steroids ( makes her loopy and weight gain was terrible), changing to a grain free diet, washing every few days with special shampoo, spraying daily with a echo friendly brew of green tea and apple cider vinegar, poor thing smelt like fish and chips for days. Nothing worked, I was at my wits end and by chance read up about coconut oil.It apparently has antibiotic qualities and is good in the treatment of acne. Well after 2 weeks of lathering her belly with virgin coconut oil we have a happy girl once more, no more licking skin raw, scratching etc. It is a bit of a messy job but rub it in well and blot off the excess once you have rubbed it in. Such a relief and she smells great ! edited by Nomad on 28/01/2015 <em>edited by Nomad on 28/01/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY