Irritated | ExpatWoman.com

Irritated

Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 11:43

We went to Wellington International for our daughter's assessment today - both of us in our own cars. We parked at 9:00 on the deserted road in front of the school - there is enough space provided beyond the yellow lines and there were a line of cars parked.

1.5 hours later, we get SMSes that both cars have been parked for illegal parking!! There are no no parking signs or even signs from the school where we are supposed to be parking. Its all just a racket.

Latest post on 31 January 2015 - 22:16
Unfortunately that isn't the way it works here! There is very little chance of successfully fighting once you've bern ticketed. Failure to pay could mean losing your driving license too, it's not worth it. I have been through this a few times. This is not entirely true. I was ticketed for parking without paying outside my office building - although I had paid by sms, there was no ticket to display. Basically the ticket said I'd parked in a different zone to the one I was in. I called up and made a complaint, as did a couple of other people in the same situation. Clearly the ticketing officer made a mistake with the zone number. After a few days for investigation, I received an email saying the mistake had been rectified and no further action needed to be taken. All clear, no fine paid, no penalties received.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 22:41
We went to Wellington International for our daughter's assessment today - both of us in our own cars. We parked at 9:00 on the deserted road in front of the school - there is enough space provided beyond the yellow lines and there were a line of cars parked. 1.5 hours later, we get SMSes that both cars have been parked for illegal parking!! There are no no parking signs or even signs from the school where we are supposed to be parking. Its all just a racket. Unfortunately this is indeed illegal parking.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 22:40
Has the SIM card always been yours? Mine was used by an ex colleague before and I still keep receiving his ticket notifications.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 20:05
yeah chance of fighting v. slim. I also had one - not wearing a seatbelt at 7.10am at Trade Centre roundabout. On a school day... chance of being out of the house slim, chance of being anywhere other than Mirdiff at that time, none. And I wasn't at the trade centre at any point that day..... I just put it down to being a tax.....
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 19:56
Unfortunately that isn't the way it works here! There is very little chance of successfully fighting once you've bern ticketed. Failure to pay could mean losing your driving license too, it's not worth it. I have been through this a few times. How sad. Thanks for your input and experience.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 19:52
Unfortunately that isn't the way it works here! There is very little chance of successfully fighting once you've bern ticketed. Failure to pay could mean losing your driving license too, it's not worth it. I have been through this a few times.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 19:47
If I were both of you ladies I would complain, I wouldn't pay for something unless I was in the wrong
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 14:49
I got a SMS stating I was booked for not wearing a seat belt on Emirates Road at 5pm in the afternoon - I wasn't even in Dubai - my car and I were in Al Ain at the time!!!! I asked at the time of renewing the rego about it and the man there "strongly suggested" that I just pay the fine and not "rock the boat" - I was surprised.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY