Driving licence question- please help! | ExpatWoman.com

Driving licence question- please help!

Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 15:12

I have just failed my 3 rd driving test here in the UK and I'm moving out to Dubai in a few months. It's really due to nerves and I feel so much pressure since we are moving but could someone tell me how hard it is to pass out there? I'm desperate to drive! TIA

Latest post on 04 April 2015 - 21:37
they r saying they may now bring in more driving tests after 5 years!
Latest post on 04 April 2015 - 18:44
Glad you passed, one bit of advice my husband gave me before I started driving here, check all mirrors, check all directions, check the area you least expect a car to come from - twice, keep doing that constantly and you will be fine!! Good luck!
Latest post on 04 April 2015 - 17:53
After speaking to people out here, I'd say you would be better off paying for a few intensive lessons and trying to pass in the UK Have to 100% agree with GE - do whatever you can to pass in the UK. It will make your life a lot easier than trying to pass out here. Plus even if you pass here - and you move back to the UK, you will have to relearn/take your test in the UK. As they are only transferable from UK to UAE but not vis versa Good Luck! I failed 2x before I passed!
Latest post on 04 April 2015 - 17:05
Thanks for all your help regarding my driving licence queries; I am now happy to report that I finally passed my test here in the UK and have been driving for about a month. So relieved!
Latest post on 31 January 2015 - 06:52
Thanks for clarifying, Dentro.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 22:41
Dentro thanks for checking that for me! And thanks everyone else for your advice as well. I will try to get another test here, if not I will just have to deal with crazy instructors and traffic in Dubai!:)
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 22:35
It depends on both the passport nationality and the license issuer country, it is a combination of the two. I have the RTA mobile app on my iPhone that has a "license exchange" section. I have just inputed Sweden and UK license and it says it can be exchanged. (For example Indian passport with UK license, cannot be replaced). Swedishgirl, in my opinion the driving test is a torture in every country. And it seems anyways that you have no choices but to do it here, as you have limited time and long wait list there. Look at it from the bright side, maybe the change of scene and change of instructor will calm you and help to complete the test. Good luck.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 21:11
AnonDubai..I am not sure how OP can check but my DH def used his UK drivers licence to obtain a UAE one. He is an Australian passport holder. ( I know his Oz licence expired almost ten years ago so he must have used his UK one)
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 20:27
The reason I asked if you are Swedish is because if you have a UK driving license but not a UK passport, they will not agree to give you a UAE driver's license. You have to have the passport of the country of your driving license so it may be better for you to learn here... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 30/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 18:18
Ok it doesn't sound like an ideal situation out there... I will definitely try to do it again here but it will be extremely unlikely as there is such a long waiting time for a test ( even with cancellations) I just feel very dejected over the whole thing here and was looking for alternatives... My main worry is how to get around once I'm in Dubai as I will be on my own with my toddler all week but Careem taxi seems like a great service ( I checked out their website). It's so annoying as I had my licence in the US but let it lapse! Yes I'm Swedish ( as my username implies) :-) Thanks!
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 15:31
I have just failed my 3 rd driving test here in the UK and I'm moving out to Dubai in a few months. It's really due to nerves and I feel so much pressure since we are moving but could someone tell me how hard it is to pass out there? I'm desperate to drive! TIA i would suggest you try again as the standard of driving in uae is 10 times worse... you need to have done a defensive driving course or at least have some experience and confidence behind you.
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 14:58
Yes, when you take your test here you can have a car full of other people taking their test..my son's friend witnessed the instructor ejecting a failed applicant from the car because he kept arguing and then telling him to drive off without him !! lol
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 13:33
Are you Swedish by any chance?
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 13:14
Have you tried hypnosis for your nerves?
Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 08:25
Thanks for the advice I don't think I have time to pass here though. My instructor says there is no reason I shouldn't pass, it's my nerves only. Been driving the test routes a million times... Why is it a nightmare for your friend to get a licence? I'm willing to have a number of lessons no problem, but why would it be so much harder to pass than in the UK? Thanks! You have already mentioned on the other post that you have visited Dubai many times so I'm sure if you have travelled around you have witnessed some of the careless driving here in Dubai? Most of the feedback you are getting is from people who have driven in both countries and most are advising the UK is a far better place to pass the test and I have to agree. I assume you are driving a manual car in the UK? Here most take the test in an automatic because it's cheaper and the preferred car to drive. If it's just your nerves I would suggest talking to you instructor to overcome some of the anxiety and try another test in the UK. Driving in a new city with unfamiliar roads isn't going to help you if its your nerves. I also believe on your test there can be other candidates sat in the car taking their test so a very different situation to taking a test in the UK a. Good luck Careem is a private taxi company that now offer cars with baby seats
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 23:36
Thanks for the advice I don't think I have time to pass here though. My instructor says there is no reason I shouldn't pass, it's my nerves only. Been driving the test routes a million times... Why is it a nightmare for your friend to get a licence? I'm willing to have a number of lessons no problem, but why would it be so much harder to pass than in the UK? Thanks!
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 15:31
I believe here you have to take a minimum number of lessons before each test which can increase the cost and delay when you can apply to take the test again. It would be much better if you could pass in the UK. Maybe ask your driving instructor for a few lessons driving the routes taken on the test to boost your confidence.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 15:28
After speaking to people out here, I'd say you would be better off paying for a few intensive lessons and trying to pass in the UK
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 15:26
I have a friend trying to get their licence here - it's a nightmare. Driving here isn't the easiest. Maybe consider some lessons.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY