Driving licence question- please help! | ExpatWoman.com

Driving licence question- please help!

Latest post on 30 January 2015 - 21:09
Careem will provide car seats although a bit more expensive than regular taxis. Depending where you live the metro might be an option. I am not sure how you can check but I am pretty sure my DH got his licence using a UK drivers licence but he is not a UK passport holder. I know his Oz licence expired years ago so he could only have got his licence using his UK one.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 23:45
An unrelated question: is it easy to find taxis that will accommodate a child ( child seat etc.)? I will need to get around somehow... Thanks
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 23:43
Thanks Buddah, I know the driving is crazy in Dubai I've visited many times! I find the UK roads scary though as they are narrow and there are parked cars everywhere! At least in Dubai you have new big roads that are made for cars, not a horse and carriage right? :-) I'm not a hesitant driver by nature but I was trying to overcompensate for taking too many risks in my previous failed test. I don't mind taking a bunch of lessons in Dubai though, it will probably be helpful and I want to be as safe as possible as I have got a little boy who will be with me most of the time. I have looked at the requirements and at least lessons are dirt cheap compared to the UK! Is there anyone here who have done the test in Dubai? Also I do not have a UK passport so that could be problematic, a friend of mine had this same problem but managed to get around it somehow... Thanks!
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 20:27
I am sorry if I sound negative but you can NOT afford to be hesitant whilst driving out here or you will be a danger to yourself and others. The driving is crazy out here...you need eyes in back of your head. Many drivers are super aggressive. For example - Putting one's indicator on to indicate a desire to change lanes is seen by many drivers as an admission of weakness and they will do anything to prevent you from changing lane. As others say, you can't just sign up for a test here but will need to do a whole series of lessons. Not quite sure what they teach as some of the worst examples of dangerous driving I have seen out here is from guys driving solo in instructors cars so I'm guessing they are the instructors. I would suggest you resit in uk and then if possible take an advanced driving course before coming out here. I used to drive 20,000 miles a year plus in uk ( for over 25 years ) . Out here, I average 1500km a week and there are still days where I find it intimidating.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 17:27
Thank you[b'> I didn't post about this before though...? [/b'>I have had plenty of practice, including 50 lessons and driving with a licence ( now expired) in the US for over 8 years. It's just the test situation that I struggle with and I was very well prepared today when I failed for undue hesitation. I will probably not have time for another test here so any advice on getting your licence in Dubai would be helpful! Thanks again! The thread is further down the list http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic232363-driving-licence-question-please-help-forum23.aspx
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 17:10
Geordie is right, you have to do a number of lessons when you get there If you are nervous in the UK then be prepared for Dubai as the standard of driving here is appalling compared to home Good Luck
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 17:10
Does anyone know whether it is still the case that you can only convert a licence if your passport and your existing licence are from the same country? I.e. you wouldn't be able to 'convert' a UK licence unless you had a UK passport? It may have changed but that certainly used to be the case here.
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 17:04
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic232363-driving-licence-question-please-help-forum23.aspx As someone mentioned here you have to sit a certain number of lessons here before your test. You unfortunately can't just book a test. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 29/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 17:00
Thank you I didn't post about this before though...? I have had plenty of practice, including 50 lessons and driving with a licence ( now expired) in the US for over 8 years. It's just the test situation that I struggle with and I was very well prepared today when I failed for undue hesitation. I will probably not have time for another test here so any advice on getting your licence in Dubai would be helpful! Thanks again!
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 16:44
If you're a nervous driver I think you should get more practice in the UK, good luck :)
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 16:37
If you check your original post a couple of us have suggested that you try again in the UK
Latest post on 29 January 2015 - 16:26
I have just failed my 3 rd driving test here in the UK and I'm moving out to Dubai in a few months. It's really due to nerves and I feel so much pressure since we are moving but could someone tell me how hard it is to pass out there? I'm desperate to drive! TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY