Oh excited and nervous moving to AD in 6 weeks :))) | ExpatWoman.com

Oh excited and nervous moving to AD in 6 weeks :)))

Latest post on 02 February 2015 - 14:36

HI all,

My husband is working in AD now for 3 years and we are making the move over to him now. We have three boys, two school going and the youngest is 5 months. looking forward to it but nervous about it all aswell. Have school places for the boys thank god so at least that's a big thing off my mind. Looking forward to joining you at the coffee mornings over in AD in a few weeks time. Hopefully will make new friends :)))

Latest post on 15 May 2015 - 19:17
Hello Bristol2AD! We're taking our furniture with us and sent some over fairly soon after my husband left. It has arrived this week and he should have it next weekend. Meanwhile, he's bought a camp bed from Ikea... I took sheets etc over when we went at Easter. Ikea is pretty much on a par with the UK and delivery is free. We quite like Indigo Living (not sure what the rules are about posting links) and it looks like they do rental if you need it. We've bought a dining table and chairs from there as we've never had a new dining table, always saying we'd have one when we moved house which we've not done in 19 years, and I'm not bringing the table we have with us. I'm not planning to work in the short term as we need to get our son settled and the house sorted once the furniture arrives but I'm a teacher so I'd like to work part-time maybe after Christmas. I don't know how that would be viewed though. My plan at the minute is to ship the furniture on the Monday after school breaks up, ship my son off to my mum's for a few days while I clean the house ready for the tenants and then fly out around the 30th July. Catxballou - have you got a school place for your daughter yet? And has your OH looked for a house/apartment? We found you needed to say 'yes' to something you liked pretty quickly as we looked at two on the same compound and one of them had gone when we rang to say yes the following day.
Latest post on 15 May 2015 - 02:54
Oooh catxballou, we're planning to move in August too. Early August for us, what about you? Yes, that does sound typical of a teenager but that's kind of how i'm feeling too - so excited one minute and having mini panic attacks the next.. But the excitement usually overrules. Chaletfan - That's great that your son has a place secured. Will you be working? I won't be - Full time mummy to my ever so active 18 month old. Hopefully we will have lots to keep us occupied/entertained. Really looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you in the summer. :-) Oh some quick Qs - We are looking at different property options at the moment, and the majority of places we've found are not furnished. Has anyone gone for furnished? What about non-furnished, did you ship over your things or did you buy furniture in AD - how cost effective/easy is this? I was hoping furnished as I thought it would just be easier. But like I said most properties are non-furnished.
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 23:44
Hi, my husband flew out last Friday and I'm planning to move in August. Very nervous as I haven't handed in my notice at work yet! I'm bringing a 13 year old daughter, so I'm looking forward to meeting some mums with teenagers too. At the minute she is either 100% excited by the move or doesn't want to leave her bedroom. Typical I guess.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 13:53
it will all depend on your company how quick they are regarding sponsorship... the employee has to be done first and then he can sponsor his dependants.... it can take a month or it can take a week or how long is a piece of string.... be aware that all the paperwork needs to be attested from the uk if thats where you are coming from. and if you are on a uk passport or one that you can get a visa on arrival, if you go over the 30 days stamp you will need to just do a border run for another month in order to be legal in the country... some people's visas can take months and months it all depends... security checks etc dependant on the job catergory. be aware tho that renting here is usually done on a yearly basis, no matter how many cheques you split it if they allow you you are still liable for the whole amount unless its going into company name etc. most people stay in temporary accommodation to find something suitable as its more difficult getting sch places than houses.. so people will then wait until the beg of term to see that....
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:36
Hello! Thought I'd join in as we're moving at the end of July. My husband left on 13 March and the shippers have been today to take a small load so he can get settled in a house/apartment. We (7 year old son and I) are flying over for a week on Thursday - I've got an appointment to look at properties on Sunday. We've just been offered a place for our son for September at Brighton College so are looking for something reasonably convenient for that. We're not moving til the summer so he (and I) can finish the school year here.
Latest post on 21 March 2015 - 20:08
Sunshine2015, We are flying out on 24th April from Manchester. Hubby is flying back to the UK to help me with the twins. He's currently searching for a villa for us! It sounds a mammoth task. Looked at Al Reef, MBZC amongst others. Have said we can give it 6 months / year and we can always move to another area once we know our way around. I know I am going to miss everyone terribly, but I actually don't realise how much at the minute cos I am so excited about seeing my Husband again and getting out there. I think it will be when I get out there, reality will kick in, well probably after 2 weeks when I realise it's not a holiday!!! Lexiefy, was twins a shock? It was for us but it is really special. Ours are at the age were they are starting to talk or babble to each other and they are always laughing at each other, it's so wonderful to hear!! Your in for fun times! When are you due back to AD? Birdofparadise - Hope the move has gone / going ok? Let us know how you are getting on? Bristol2AD - hope things are on track with hubby's paperwork and you can get out there as soon as possible and start your new adventure!!! Got to go, it's the twins tea time but hope to hear from you all soon xxx <em>edited by Doris83 on 21/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 19 March 2015 - 00:47
Sunshine2015 that's exciting!! I think I might be the week before you or if not that week! It just depends on when the shipping container gets to my husband and he gets the cots ready!! Whereabouts are you flying from and where are you looking to stay? There are so many choices and they all seem to have lots to offer! Xx We are flying from Heathrow - what about yourself? We are going to be in temp accomodation for the first few months then will find somewhere to live - exciting! Do you know where you will be based? Xx
Latest post on 18 March 2015 - 03:10
Sunshine2015 that's exciting!! I think I might be the week before you or if not that week! It just depends on when the shipping container gets to my husband and he gets the cots ready!! Whereabouts are you flying from and where are you looking to stay? There are so many choices and they all seem to have lots to offer! Xx
Latest post on 17 March 2015 - 01:14
Doris, I'll keep that in mind. I might need help LOL. Check out abudhabimoms when you get there. I met them recently and they've got playgroups and activities for the kiddiwinks, also themes groups (singing, language, crafts etc.) Maybe we can start a twins theme LOL? I'm back in my home country (er I'm an expat here too) and waiting for the kiddies to grow in my belly.
Latest post on 17 March 2015 - 01:01
Aww twins how lovely! Our flights have now been booked for 21st April so looking forwards to hopefully meeting you all when everyone is out there!
Latest post on 16 March 2015 - 02:00
Hi all, Sorry for the lack of response, had the most hectic month. Where to start, my husband has been gone just over a month, and is loving AD! It's been hard without him but it sounds like we have made the right choice in giving this new adventure a go. The contents of our house got shipped last week so it's finally happening and I can't wait!! And it only took 4 weeks to sell our house too so that was good!! It took him about a month to get his residency visa. We are planning on sorting my paperwork out when I get out there. Twins are hard work but totally worth it... Can't wait for them to make new friends...Lexiexf let me know if you need a hand!! Hope everyone's plans are coming together nicely and look forward to meeting you all Xxx
Latest post on 08 March 2015 - 12:11
Well, as far as I understood, the visa process proper starts with the medical visit upon arrival (medical history, blood work looking for communicable diseases which will get you a plane right home, chest Xray for tuberculosis). Then you go over to the Emirati ID desk and they process your visa. Takes some time after that to get everything back. Hopefully there is a guy in your husband's office that will guide him through this process (they are called PRO I think, it's some kind of acronym). Anyway we had done this in October prior to the move (we came for 10 days specifically to meet the employer and do the paperwork). Turns out they made a mistake so he had to do all over again in January.
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 23:56
Hi! My husband's residency visa took a month to arrive. I don't know if that is standard. In the meantime he was without his passport so had trouble getting a hotel room coming back from Hong Kong with his employer. He had to go back to a hotel that already knew him. Hopefully your husbands have accommodation sorted out so this won't be an issue. I still live in my home country so wouldn't know about sponsoring a spouse yet. I am expecting twins as well, for August. We'll be over when we get the green light from the pediatrician. Hope to meet you all then! Congratulations on the forthcoming twins! Hope all is going well with the pregnancy. :) My husband has to get a license to work first in AD (he's sent over lots of documents), then I think they will start on his visa? Hopefully it won't take too long… :)
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 23:54
Hello! Yes that’s the same as us, all three of us are going out there about a week or two before my husband starts his job and we are being sponsored by him. With regards to the residency Visa, I’m not too sure how long that will take to be honest, I’m hoping its not long though (Sorry no help what’s so ever there!) we are hoping to find out more on Sunday. Be great to meet up once we are all out there! I’m excited but feeling sad about leaving family and friends and worried about being lonely. It’s nice to meet people with kids as well :o) I know the feeling - we're all really excited about making the big move, but going to really, really miss family… :( Hope to make lots of new friends though. :)
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 08:26
Hi! My husband's residency visa took a month to arrive. I don't know if that is standard. In the meantime he was without his passport so had trouble getting a hotel room coming back from Hong Kong with his employer. He had to go back to a hotel that already knew him. Hopefully your husbands have accommodation sorted out so this won't be an issue. I still live in my home country so wouldn't know about sponsoring a spouse yet. I am expecting twins as well, for August. We'll be over when we get the green light from the pediatrician. Hope to meet you all then!
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 16:24
Hello! Yes that’s the same as us, all three of us are going out there about a week or two before my husband starts his job and we are being sponsored by him. With regards to the residency Visa, I’m not too sure how long that will take to be honest, I’m hoping its not long though (Sorry no help what’s so ever there!) we are hoping to find out more on Sunday. Be great to meet up once we are all out there! I’m excited but feeling sad about leaving family and friends and worried about being lonely. It’s nice to meet people with kids as well :o)
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 19:44
Hi all, Reading this thread with interest, as my husband starts work in AD in August, and would love to meet fellow newbies! The plan is for all of us (myself, hubby and our 16 month old daughter) to all move over together from the UK a week or two before he starts, and once he has his residency visa, he can sponsor us. Is that how you have all done it too - have your husbands had to sponsor you once they received their residency visa, or could you start the process before? If you don't mind me asking, how long did the visa take to be sorted from start/application to finish? Or did anyone go on a visit visa first instead, extend if it needed, and apply whilst on this in AD? For those who are going over a couple of months after your hubbies have started - was it just so they could settle in and make a start, or was it because the visa takes more than few months? Would be grateful for your advice - and hope to meet you guys when in AD!
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 17:40
Hello to you both! Just taking a look through the forum on here and spotted this. Myself, my 20 month Son and my husband are also relocating to AD from the UK for my Husbands job in around April time!! I am also very nervous but excited too. Be great to meet others at the Coffee mornings there, so much to sort out before we go as I'm sure you both have too! xx ;)
Latest post on 10 February 2015 - 20:42
Hi ya!! Oh wow 9 month old twins :) not a bother to you hun. Yes my husband really likes it over there and we have been on holidays to him and we love it also. Bit of a stall with our move over, thought we'd be there by end of march but looking later than that now! just want to get over there and eventually be a family again. I wish you and your family all the best of luck in AD and hope you settle in well. Remember to go find out about toddlers mornings as well as the coffee mornings, think they're people that meet up and do swimming etc with babies/toddlers! get out and meet as much people as you can :) we may bump in to each other at a coffee morning :)) the adventure :)
Latest post on 03 February 2015 - 22:05
Hi, I too am making the move soon!! My husband will fly out on 12/2/2015 and I will join him with our 9 month old twins in April!! I can't wait but am also a little nervous too!! If your husband has been out there for three years he clearly likes it? Good that you have schools sorted already! We're moving from Yorkshire in the UK and am really looking forward to a new adventure and obviously the coffee mornings! Would love to hear from you ?