More information on government jobs in AD | ExpatWoman.com

More information on government jobs in AD

Latest post on 08 February 2015 - 16:02

Hi,

I've recently heard that many expat jobs here, particularly in Abu Dhabi, are being "emiratised". I was wondering if anyone here felt like their job (or maybe spouse's job) was at risk with being replaced by a UAE national?

I recently moved here and I am working for a government company. It took me ages to get the security clearance and visa, and I would hate to think I'm going to be phased out in the near future.

Has anyone been through this (being let go so that a company could hire a local employee instead)?

Just looking for insight.

Thanks in advance,

LA

Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 15:00
Hi, yes this is really happening, I have just been made redundant after 7 years of service. But it depends on the types of post and the industry. If highly specialided, the job should still be safe.
Latest post on 15 February 2015 - 09:03
I think the issue of being Emiritized depends on the Gov. industry you're in - and frankly, how strategic leaders in that industry are in making decisions for the long-term good. I've seen places where the main goal was to meet quotas/percentages of Emiratis, regardless of whether they are ready for the role. In those cases, lots of people were Emiritized (at all levels, from super senior to entry level) but the people replacing them are simply not prepared. Whether they can rally and make a success of things remains to be seen. Whether the tide will start to turn back and expats brought back in remains to be seen. If it does, for a transition to succeed there needs to be a formal "training/mentoring" program at all levels and acknowledgement that an expat is there for only a certain period of time and his/her main job is to mentor a talented experienced person(s) taking over in a few years. In my experience, though, neither does the training/mentoring happen, nor does the talented National who still needs experience want to wait that long. Arabic is definitely becoming more important in gov sector jobs - as it should be. Also, from what I've seen/heard, salaries used to be much higher in the past than now -- which will not help to find people willing to mentor and leave after a few years. That should command a premium.
Latest post on 09 February 2015 - 15:17
We moved here from NY, USA about 5 months ago. I have a job as a physician but my husband is currently looking for a job. Have heard through people that government jobs provide good packages for expats. He has extensive banking and IT experience. He has gone through recruiters and made several calls to companies. Any advice on the process or information on any vacancies would be much appreciated. Thanks. Does he speak Arabic? The roles I have seen for government companies do prefer candidates who can speak Arabic. Most of the government websites have a career page. I don't know of any recruitment agencies that recruit solely for the government sector though. Not all pay excellent packages though.
Latest post on 09 February 2015 - 15:13
Thanks Sarahlou, do you have any insight as to the companies and/or what the people did after they were made redundant? I cannot give the company names however the candidates who were made redundant looked for alternative roles
Latest post on 09 February 2015 - 12:18
We moved here from NY, USA about 5 months ago. I have a job as a physician but my husband is currently looking for a job. Have heard through people that government jobs provide good packages for expats. He has extensive banking and IT experience. He has gone through recruiters and made several calls to companies. Any advice on the process or information on any vacancies would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Latest post on 09 February 2015 - 07:10
I work for a government investment institution, and whilst we are seeing increased numbers of fresh grad Emiratis being brought in and trained up, I am not seeing any expats being let go, in fact the numbers coming through the door are constant and I wonder where we are going to put them all! This is perhaps a bit different, we are investing oil revenue in global investment markets, which more often than not Emiratis just simply don't have the experience of, so expats are recruited from those regions to try and bring in the best return.
Latest post on 08 February 2015 - 17:08
Thanks Sarahlou, do you have any insight as to the companies and/or what the people did after they were made redundant?
Latest post on 08 February 2015 - 16:46
Hi, I've recently heard that many expat jobs here, particularly in Abu Dhabi, are being "emiratised". I was wondering if anyone here felt like their job (or maybe spouse's job) was at risk with being replaced by a UAE national? I recently moved here and I am working for a government company. It took me ages to get the security clearance and visa, and I would hate to think I'm going to be phased out in the near future. Has anyone been through this (being let go so that a company could hire a local employee instead)? Just looking for insight. Thanks in advance, LA In the last 2 years I have spoken to many candidates who have been made redundant to make way for an Emirati employee. They were all very senior candidates ( Earning 80k a month and above) if that helps. I haven't seen too many mid level or junior candidates losing roles though