missing home | ExpatWoman.com

missing home

Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 11:52

Hiya girls been here nearly 3 wks to day I'm really missing home my family did u all feel like that too xx

Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:46
Thank you to u all I'm settling a lot better now my boys have finally started school so now got a routine again I do drive but not here roads here scare me ha ha I'm a very nervous driver but hoping in time I will drive here xx
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 07:54
Three months is too short a time span to stop missing home... its been 5 years and i am still often nostalgic for things i used to do with family and friends back home... crave to go back home for holidays.. no length of time seems enough and always come back to Dubai with a heavy heart... Having said that... I am very well settled here... even though I have no transport and I don't go out as such and have an average social life ... don't watch movies, TV etc either to kill time... what has helped me is being busy with an online project with a close friend... an online course... So i feel it really helps to make use of whatever resources you have available ... Just give yourself time and try to get busy in positive activities and inshallah you will settle down soon...
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 21:26
Is this your first overseas assignment? Either way, there is some very good books which talk about the issues facing expatriates moving overseas. If you google third culture and expatriates on amazon - you can either download or order them for delivery here. I found them very useful when talking about the stages of relocation that most of us go through. Also talks about the issues of relocating with children. good luck.. <em>edited by rubyslippers on 04/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 19:10
You are reaching that stage when you've been gone longer than a holiday, so the move is finally hitting home! It is harder too as you are not working and are stuck at home. I would seriously look at getting your own transport, as it will make the move here a lot easier, especially as you are not living anywhere near any major malls or even the metro. But I am in my 7th year now, it does get easier, and once you start meeting friends and going to coffee morning etc - you will ok and time will start flying by! :) Excellent advice
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 18:54
You are reaching that stage when you've been gone longer than a holiday, so the move is finally hitting home! It is harder too as you are not working and are stuck at home. I would seriously look at getting your own transport, as it will make the move here a lot easier, especially as you are not living anywhere near any major malls or even the metro. But I am in my 7th year now, it does get easier, and once you start meeting friends and going to coffee morning etc - you will ok and time will start flying by! :)
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 16:41
What helps me cope with homesickness when I first moved here was to really learn to adapt and explore new things/places. I tried training my mind to see that the world is my home and wherever I am that's where my heart and mind are going to be. Furthermore, I try to see the world as borderless. That way I am able to cope and eventually do away with the awful feeling of homesickness. Try staying in touch all the time too with family and friends if it helps. ;)
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 11:19
Hi Im in your area if you fancy a coffee sometime :)
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 21:41
Thank you xx
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 19:03
you could start here :) http://www.siliconoasis.org/forum/forum.php ask the question and I am sure someone will have the answer :). I think there are other forums for Silicon Oasis though :)
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 14:43
Nope. Eloquently put as usual...
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 14:16
Ok thank u no sorry I don't xx
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 14:13
You can't do either I'm afraid. How about EW coffee mornings? Do you have transport?
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 13:37
Hiya can anyone help me please how can u add people as friends on here and how to private message people as well thank u xx
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 13:08
Thank u I live in silicon oasis anyone around my area xx
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 13:04
annmariemummyo4 :)... why not put down the area you are living in and I am sure there are some mums close by that you can meet, or go out and meet or find groups for your children :)....start there and see what happens ;)....
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 14:29
Nope. Me neither.
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 14:00
Thank u girls for getting back to me I think it harder as my boys not in school yet we still waiting to hear if they have space or not in the school haven't met any friends yet miss my friends at home we use to meet up every morning for a cuppa and chat my hubby works out here I'm a stay at home mum haven't been able to find playgroups for my Yong established boy get so I'm not getting out either xx
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:59
Thank u girls for getting back to me I think it harder as my boys not in school yet we still waiting to hear if they have space or not in the school haven't met any friends yet miss my friends at home we use to meet up every morning for a cuppa and chat my hubby works out here I'm a stay at home mum haven't been able to find playgroups for my Yong established boy get so I'm not getting out either xx
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:45
I completely understand. The first few months were difficult for me. However, when I went back home for a holiday and came back to Dubai, I felt much better as I came back to a familiar place. I still miss home. It feels like 7 months of the year I am ok with being in Dubai and then after that I start missing home terribly and can't wait to go back for our annual holidays.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:25
I didn't miss my home country at all, it's more the other way around. I miss Dubai when I'm back home! But I moved to Dubai from Bahrain and has already been away for some years. I also didn't move for my husband's job, I moved here for work myself. This way you meet people much easier and settle into a routine quickly.
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:14
Nope.
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:10
I felt the same after the first few weeks here, after the novelty of the move begins to wear off. I've only been here for three months now, and I think now that 'real life' is kicking in I'm beginning to feel more settled. I do miss my friends especially - we used to meet often for lunch/after work drinks etc. It feels harder to meet/click with people out here. The few people I have met and tried to keep in touch with have ended up leaving Dubai to go back home for various reasons!
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:05
Hello & welcome! I can't say I felt homesick after three weeks but I did find it hard to settle here. For me it was about finding my 'niche' in Dubai outside of work, making friends, hobbies etc. There is a club/facebook group for almost everything. I found it hard after a year when it hit that we were staying and that I needed to actually put down roots for the foreseeable future. It can be a bit clique-y but again just give it time, they are usually nice people. Once I actually started living here and not 'at home' in my head, (as in thinking about home, what's going on there etc.,) it all got a lot easier. Good luck x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY