My maid and her ex boss | ExpatWoman.com

My maid and her ex boss

Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 13:48

My maid has been with us since June. She was recommended by a friend and we felt happy to take her on. Since then we have had a few issues with her time keeping. Of ten she will come in for a couple of hours then disappear for 4 or 5. I didn't realise she was taking such long breaks as I was at work. Unfortunately due to illness I have been at home and realised what she is doing. I have had a few harsh words with her and explained if she is only going to work 3 hours a day it would be easier for me to just have an agency maid in. Anyway I have notice the last 2 weeks she is up to her old tricks. Today she said she was going for lunch at 11.30 and would finish the floors when she got back - my house guest was in her way. I thought this was fair. I popped out for a walk and when I came home I found a lady in a 4x4 parked in my driveway. I asked if she was waiting for me and she said no Cathy. So of course I asked why. She said they had arranged yesterday to go out for lunch today and that my maid had told her it was fine as long as she was back by 2.30. I was quite shocked and asked the lady exactly who she was. She explained she was the boss before last and they went out for lunch twice a month together. Now I think that is lovely but not in my time. My lady gets a 2 hour lunch break to take at a convenient time but I think 3 hours for lunch is wrong. I didn't want to make a fuss so just said ok. What would you don in my shoes? Also I know on other occasions my maid has been out with this ex boss and been drinking. Ok in her own time but not in my time again. Would you also feel miffed or am I just being overly sensitive?

Latest post on 12 March 2015 - 19:55
Its not working out for me in your shoes. I want peace of mind with my maid. No tricks. I can't have someone have access to my home and family if I can't be sure of their commitment. It may be difficult to find a replacement but to have been taken or a ride is horrible. Hope you find peace.
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 22:39
There really is not one positive reason in your favor with her doing this and certainly not a positive outcome. It's crossing the line for all involved and you are not getting the full story. She knows better and is playing all ends. Careful. When it doesn't feel right ; it isn't
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 19:50
Totally weird. Mostly the drinking part!
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 07:52
No, you're not overly sensitive. You have the right to feel that way because you are paying her. Money is not that easy to earn, so she should also work hard for it. Better talk to her directly, tell her that you want so and so.. If she really wants to stay with you, she'll follow.. if not, you should start looking for a new one.
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 00:14
If you sponsor her then tell her to do as she is told or you will out her on the next flight out. Drinking is illegal for maids.
Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 09:33
It all sounds wrong. Firstly, she is not showing any respect to you and her work in your house. And secondly, what a very strange relationship! what, an old employer coming to your house in her big car to pick her up! Sounds really extraordinary. What exactly are they doing? And what do they want? Apart from answering those worries, I would obviously get rid of her immediately, not because she is abusing her time, but because she is untrustworthy and doing something with her time that you cant fathom.
Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 08:55
I would have called her out in front of her ex-boss, like btw her lunch break is only 2 hours and today she knows there is a lot of work as we are having house guests.
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 19:26
Tell her to stay home for lunch. This sounds really strange if you ask me.
Latest post on 16 February 2015 - 10:07
You are being taken for a ride
Latest post on 16 February 2015 - 09:47
Those long lunch breaks sound like she is still working for her ex-boss on your dime.... I would drop her like it's hot or cut her pay based on her actual amount of time at your place. If she is only there for half the time then she only gets half her salary.
Latest post on 16 February 2015 - 03:42
I would also wonder if she is working on the side during these three hours for her ex-boss - which is highly illegal....
Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 14:49
Nope - you are right to feel p**sed off. I would be furious. She is taking you for a ride. You need to sit down and have a stern word to her. Tell her that she is not to leave the house between x and x hours even when she is on her break. her day off is Friday and she can do what she wants but not when she feels like it and certainly not on your time. You are paying her! I would honestly start looking for another maid if I were you. Sounds like she is the Madam of the house :-) <em>edited by derien on 11/02/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY