With fully furnished accommdation...what will I need to bring with me? | ExpatWoman.com

With fully furnished accommdation...what will I need to bring with me?

Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 04:42

Hi all,
I am in the process of renting my house in Canada and getting ready for the move to Doha. My husband's employer said they would provide fully furnished accommodation...so what would I need to bring with me from here? Please send your input on this. Thanks!!

Latest post on 13 February 2015 - 12:15
It seems to vary by landlord and company. Some provide everything including plates, utensils, bedding and towels- and some don't. Or some provide these things, but you might find that you want to replace them with items of your own choice. I would check with the HR dept to see if they can give you more specifics as to what is included. Things you'll probably want- pictures/ photos/ important books- things that you think make your home feel like your home.
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 13:19
The normal case is that your husband will come to Doha first and then will ask for a visa for the rest of the family. In this case he will see the house and he can check what is missing. We - for example - are in a furnished house but it was provided with very basic furniture and kitchenware. So my husband checked at his arrival, and just 2 weeks before I left we decided to ship the missing little house-ware and to buy the rest here at IKEA (e.g. some furniture but also some heavy or fragile things like wine glasses or mugs). Here you can find everything (almost: we could not find an Italian "caffettiera", even if you can find italian coffee brands) so it is your choice to decide what to bring and what to leave. Consider that here the voltage is 220V, like in Europe. So if you don't want to use transformers, you will have to buy here the electric appliances.
Latest post on 12 February 2015 - 08:51
Hello, From my experience (I've only lived in one compound) a fully furnished would have all your basic furniture, dining, living, bedroom, appliances (including microwave). Bedding was provided too. As for small kitchen appliances, since the voltage is different here, you can either buy your appliances from Canada and buy a converter here, or you can just buy your appliances from here. To be honest with you, and that's just my opinion, appliances here are expensive and the quality is not that great. The appliances we have from the US are coffeemaker, bread maker, food processor and blender. I had bought a slow-cooker but then returned it because I didn't want an appliance connected to a converter for 8 hours. Also, there is an Ikea here and it's your typical Ikea so you will find lots of the things that you need but didn't bring with you. Hope that helps. All the best!