Single parent moving from UK | ExpatWoman.com

Single parent moving from UK

Latest post on 21 February 2015 - 04:39
Hello, I am a remarried mother of a 7 year old in the process of relocating to Qatar. Here's all the stuff I needed: Copy of my divorce decree (which served as the court order for joint custody) Copy of my marriage certificate for my first marriage to my daughter's father (I was told they want to make sure that we were married when my daughter was born) Copy of my marriage certificate for my current marriage Passport for my daughter, which requires for my ex-husband to give a notarized consent. I had to also have my ex-husband to sign a separate notarized permission letter for my daughter to travel to Qatar. Copy of my ex-husband's current picture id (my ex-husband was REALLY wary about sending this). Currently my visa application is in progress. I was notified by my employer that they have everything they need, but it is pending since mid January. I don't know how long it usually takes to process a visa, but it's approaching the 4-6 week mark. So good luck.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 22:55
I think it's highly unlikely that you will be able to move without a court order - everyone I know in a similar situation has had to go through the courts. If you're not able to get one, don't come. Ignoring the love of bureaucracy here, I think many countries would have an issue with this. If you were allowed to 'explain', immigration would be taking your word for it. What's to say there isn't an ongoing court case in the UK with your husband contesting the move (for example)? I appreciate GBP 2000 is a lot of money. However, it's not that much in the general cost of an international move with children. If you genuinely can't access the cash (as opposed to just feeling it's too much to pay), you need to look carefully at the other costs of moving out here - each school place you apply for is going to cost between GBP 30 and 100 to apply for. Assessments (if you're lucky enough to get one) will be around GBP 100. If you get a place, you'll be expected to put down a deposit of (at least) GBP 500 very quickly. For some schools they will expect you to immediately come up with thousands of pounds. Your employer almost certainly won't help you with this. You may get some of it reimbursed but you'll be expected to have the cash to pay it up front. They're are some employers who will provide a school place and take care of everything. They're rare (outside of people working for schools). Often you'll find yourself in a similar position with cars and rental deposits. Bringing a nanny in (which you will need urgently unless you work part-time) because you'll have to afterschool at least can be up to GBP 5000. It takes quite a long time to recoup the costs of relocating out here. If you've got it all planned out it's fine check it's actually worth your while.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 08:42
You need to consult your future employer's PRO for info on EXACTLY what documents you need BEFORE you come. The Qatari authorities have strict rules for sponsoring children/families - does your job even qualify to do so? Some positions (if held by females) are not. You will most likely (if your position allows you to sponsor your child) have to go thru the UK courts. Anyone I know who has been in a similar position had to get legal documentation showing the child's father is no longer in the picture and is not contactable. You won't get residency for her (you won't even get past the application stage) and certainly not be able to get her into school without proper documents (some will allow children in IF their RP is in process). Get in touch with your employer's PRO now.
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 22:26
hi...not quite same but I had to get my 8 years olds father to sign forms of consent when we moved to Denmark she wouldn't have been able to get her residency or been able to attend school if I hadn't if you cant get in touch with him then you have to apply for courts consent think its something you need to find out from Qatar side of things tho :-) <em>edited by trixylou on 18/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 22:25
School fees and accommodation are provided separately, that is my salary. Yes, we were married. I just wondered if anyone else had moved to Doha without permission or a court order, and managed to get residency for their child? Many thanks.
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 22:06
Have you been married to your daughter's father? As far as I know moving as a single divorced parent to Qatar is not a problem, but an unmarried single parent moving to Qatar is a problem. Also, 25000QAR a month is not much. Tuition fees are expensive and so are rents. Do you get any benefits from your employer? EDIT: Just read it's your ex husband. Maybe another user can advise. <em>edited by GermanGirlAbroad on 18/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 19:33
Hello, I have been offered a job in Doha which I am keen to take up. The salary is QR 25,000. My Wight year old daughter will move with me. From what I have read online, I need a letter of no objection from her biological father. My ex husband has gone missing however, and we have not seen him for three years. He is originally from South Africa and I'm not sure if he has gone back there. Applying for a court order is prohibitively expensive (£2000) and I am not entitled to Legal Aid. Can anyone advise what will happen if we move under these circumstances? Will my daughter be turned down for a residency permit? Or can I explain this situation and sponsor her?