Dubai Tram....is it faster to travel by pogo stick? | ExpatWoman.com

Dubai Tram....is it faster to travel by pogo stick?

Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 10:19
So the people on the tram are annoyed with the pace, and the road users are struck waiting at intersections for the giant grey worm that has taken the marina hostage! Has anyone else noticed that they stop the WHOLE intersection, rather than allowing some lanes to continue flowing while the tram goes by (where safe to do so obviously!)? Oh the joys of the tram!! As you say Stix, why oh why do they have to hold up every lane of traffic while the tram crosses the road. We live in JBR at the Sheraton end and whilst going out isn't too bad, coming home can be horrendous. Sometimes it can take thirty minutes from the start of queuing on the blue bridge to actually getting into the Amwaj car park. I only take this route maybe twice a week but my husband does it five nights a week. It is so frustrating. It was said that the introduction of the tram would help ease congestion in the Marina. It has had the opposite effect!! Goodness only knows what the RTA are going to do about it, if anything! We, too, live at the Sheraton end and have been suffering in the evenings. We usually jump out of cabs near the Jewels and walk home if possible, but sometimes it takes forever just to get to that point!
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 12:07
Is it only me that like the tram then? I use it a lot to go from Marina to JBR and back. Saves the hassle of trying to park or killing myself in heels. Yes it's very slow but in the summer heat I just won't care! Agreed that the traffic mayhem is not a lot of fun though.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 17:56
So I guess it Pogo stick 1 Tram 0?:biggrin:
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 10:44
It's speed is probably determined by the distance between stations, which between JBR 1 and 2 is not a lot. Also the fact that it has to slow down to go around the bends and has very little time to pick up speed before it gets to another station.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 10:24
They are looking into the issues around the marina http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/studies-into-dubai-tram-system-to-improve-traffic-flow Fingers crossed they find a solution but I think it would have to include opening up the 'u' and left hand turns again. Things were OK before they closed them all. Agree. I count myself fortunate that my work commute is not affected by the "tram" traffic, or the tram route itself.. In this weather, I walk just about everywhere (unless I have high heels on that I don't want destroyed by JBR cobblestones or dodgy areas). What I am not looking forward to is the impending hotter weather. It is also ridiculous that it takes so long to get to one area of the marina from the other by car, and I can imagine how frustrated certain commuters are who suffer from delays every day because of the location of their building. Getting to and from the Le Royal Meridien a couple of weekends ago via taxi was a chore. DH and I only had 3 hours to steal for a dinner date, and an hour was spending on the to and fro. Agree with Fairy Dust, surely it can go faster? ETA: Alismum, I read the article you posted, and it is encouraging that they are looking into it--but I had to chuckle at the comments by some residents about the suggestion that "[i'>commuters ditch their cars, walk or take the tram if headed to restaurants in the Marina[/i'>." I can sort of see how that works for people that live outside the Marina/JBR. For those in the marina, though, it could take 5 min to walk vs. 30 on the tram. In the summer, I would be covered in sweat walking to the tram stop and from the stop to my destination! There are not that many stops. Not good if it's a business meeting or a nice dinner. <em>edited by Beebers on 19/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 09:49
Make the tram go faster for one thing. I've never seen a tram go that slow anywhere else.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 09:46
They are looking into the issues around the marina http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/studies-into-dubai-tram-system-to-improve-traffic-flow Fingers crossed they find a solution but I think it would have to include opening up the 'u' and left hand turns again. Things were OK before they closed them all.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 09:20
So the people on the tram are annoyed with the pace, and the road users are struck waiting at intersections for the giant grey worm that has taken the marina hostage! Has anyone else noticed that they stop the WHOLE intersection, rather than allowing some lanes to continue flowing while the tram goes by (where safe to do so obviously!)? Oh the joys of the tram!! As you say Stix, why oh why do they have to hold up every lane of traffic while the tram crosses the road. We live in JBR at the Sheraton end and whilst going out isn't too bad, coming home can be horrendous. Sometimes it can take thirty minutes from the start of queuing on the blue bridge to actually getting into the Amwaj car park. I only take this route maybe twice a week but my husband does it five nights a week. It is so frustrating. It was said that the introduction of the tram would help ease congestion in the Marina. It has had the opposite effect!! Goodness only knows what the RTA are going to do about it, if anything!
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 07:36
So the people on the tram are annoyed with the pace, and the road users are struck waiting at intersections for the [b'>giant grey worm that has taken the marina hostage![/b'> Has anyone else noticed that they stop the WHOLE intersection, rather than allowing some lanes to continue flowing while the tram goes by (where safe to do so obviously!)? hahahaaa!
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 04:51
So the people on the tram are annoyed with the pace, and the road users are struck waiting at intersections for the giant grey worm that has taken the marina hostage! Has anyone else noticed that they stop the WHOLE intersection, rather than allowing some lanes to continue flowing while the tram goes by (where safe to do so obviously!)?
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 21:19
I think if you got in a sleeping bag and crawled along like a snail, you'd get around faster.
Latest post on 18 February 2015 - 21:11
We tried the tram again yesterday to see if it had improved at all. Door to door from the Torch to Marina Mall took a whopping 50 mins!!! On top of that despite being the only people in the station the driver decided to shut the doors on our stroller when attempting to enter so we ended up waiting for the next. Twice the train didn't stop in the correct place for the doors to open. There was another train in front of us so we had to wait to enter every station. In summary, we won't be trying the tram again! :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY