Why is it so Difficult?? | ExpatWoman.com

Why is it so Difficult??

Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 08:35

Why is it so difficult to find any competent, professional tradespeople in this town? Trying to find a suitable company to renovate kitchens/bathrooms or even a half decent plumber/electrician? I reckon this could qualify as Hercules' 13th Labour. The guy with the Spinney's bag, the spanner and the dopey expression? These fools are everywhere, but it seems to be impossible to find anyone who actually knows what they're doing. Can anybody recommend a kitchen/bathroom company, perhaps an architect or designer and somebody who can repair leaky roofs in AR? (Jim Will Fix don't do roofs)

Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 05:53
Oh, can I whine also? I had been so happy with the cleaning service I am using. then.. The last time the cleaners came, they sent two new girls. I walked in the house, took off my shoes, and nearly broke my neck. Who knows what they did to the floors, but it was like someone put a layer of astroglide on the marble. I am guessing they went ape **** with the Pledge on the entry table. Went to brush my teeth and realized the sink was clogged. Gross. They had shoved the stopped so deeply into the sink, DH spent an hour and a half fixing it. Of course they didn't say a word, they had to know they messed it up. They had also hung my laundry to dry despite DH telling them not to touch the laundry at all. They said, "It's okay sir!" The way they hung things meant I had ironing to do, so extra work for me later. Then, I was going mad trying to find what seemed like a lot of clothes--thought I was going mad. I got the dry cleaning back 2 days later....300 AED?? So the girls took my dirty laundry out of the laundry bin and placed it in with the dry cleaning bag (which says "dry cleaning" right on it) and DH none the wiser just sent it off. Wonder what they thought with a bag full of socks, underwear, dish rags, headbands--I was fuming! I honestly couldn't figure out what they did for the combined 4 hours--they did a real hack job on the floors which is one of my biggest things I need help with. DH just hides out in his office so he couldn't say either. To be fair I complained to the manager who takes this kind of thing deadly serious, and he offered to recoup the costs of my dry cleaning and send my regular girls for free. You know how it goes though, the good ones are always booked! (sigh)
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 21:28
Why is it so difficult to find any competent, professional tradespeople in this town? Trying to find a suitable company to renovate kitchens/bathrooms or even a half decent plumber/electrician? I reckon this could qualify as Hercules' 13th Labour. The guy with the Spinney's bag, the spanner and the dopey expression? These fools are everywhere, but it seems to be impossible to find anyone who actually knows what they're doing. Can anybody recommend a kitchen/bathroom company, perhaps an architect or designer and somebody who can repair leaky roofs in AR? (Jim Will Fix don't do roofs) I've had a c**p week all week so I have nothing positive to say. Except Why is so difficult to find competent ANYONE here... real estate agents! Landlords (yes, LLs)! I'm so ready to go home. I'm so over it. Getting into a freaking rental is so hard! My head is about to explode. here's to hoping for a better week next week RANT OVER.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 17:18
[i'>he's been referring to it as a "pergola" (in spite of the windows and aircon) which is why he's painted it dark brown to make it look like it's wood[/i'> Good grief a 'pergola' that's taken since the end of August?? This makes me want to lie down and scream. To be honest, DT, I seriously doubt that it will pass the final inspection..... please let us know how it pans out, [b'>it must be driving you mad[/b'>..... yes...and then some...
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 16:49
[i'>he's been referring to it as a "pergola" (in spite of the windows and aircon) which is why he's painted it dark brown to make it look like it's wood[/i'> Good grief a 'pergola' that's taken since the end of August?? This makes me want to lie down and scream. To be honest, DT, I seriously doubt that it will pass the final inspection..... please let us know how it pans out, it must be driving you mad.....
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 15:37
LOL DT! Amazing that he got the relevant approvals to do such drastic alterations..... lol - we don't think he did..he's been referring to it as a "pergola" (in spite of the windows and aircon) which is why he's painted it dark brown to make it look like it's wood...(it isn't)
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 15:36
I can sympathise - out building has maintenance guys on site, 2 of whom just turned up to fix water and AC issues with just a screwdriver between them...
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 15:27
LOL DT! Amazing that he got the relevant approvals to do such drastic alterations.....
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 15:22
sarah, thanks for your suggestions, I haven't checked out the FB page, that's a thought. Chrissy thanks for your tip, I'll look into them. DT, I feel your pain, what a disaster. Good grief about your next door neighbour. When you say 'extension', what exactly do you mean, I thought there were very strict rules about extensions, so how come it's taken so long? If you don't mind, which company is doing it so I know who to avoid. I swear, it's doing my head in trying to get this sorted. Even trying to get a quote seems to take an interminable length of time then Team Clueless rocks up and the guys just gawp at you as if you've alighted from another solar system. Grrrr...... edited by Artemis2 on 19/02/2015 He's had several I think..sorry no idea who...Butch Cassidy and Jesse James no doubt....He's gutted the whole ground floor and extended out with a single storey around 3 feet higher than our dividing wall, so normal height and painted it dark brown whereas all our exteriors are the same beigey colour...Emaar cack or whatever it is...
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 14:47
sarah, thanks for your suggestions, I haven't checked out the FB page, that's a thought. Chrissy thanks for your tip, I'll look into them. DT, I feel your pain, what a disaster. Good grief about your next door neighbour. When you say 'extension', what exactly do you mean, I thought there were very strict rules about extensions, so how come it's taken so long? If you don't mind, which company is doing it so I know who to avoid. I swear, it's doing my head in trying to get this sorted. Even trying to get a quote seems to take an interminable length of time then Team Clueless rocks up and the guys just gawp at you as if you've alighted from another solar system. Grrrr...... <em>edited by Artemis2 on 19/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 11:42
Our LL recently sent a dynamic duo to replace two of our water tanks..i suspect she found them sweeping the road or something, they certainly weren't plumbers..among the catalogue of disasters I caught one of them cutting the ceiling tile with my best kitchen knife (later found his broken jigsaw blade on the workstop when I cleaned up)..when they'd finished neither tank was earthed so husband refused to pay until they came back and made it safe...seeing their faces as he tried to explain they'd left both our tanks in an unsafe condition was a joy...endless head shaking and no problem sir...so my husband ended up getting in the loft with him and giving him a crash course in electrics..he didn't know what an earth was or that the way they'd left both our tanks could have killed someone... Our next door neighbour has been having an extension built since the end of August - the wife told us 10 more days 2 weeks before Christmas and they're still hammering and drilling today...and it's the cr@ppiest job you ever saw...John Wayne clearly the project manager....
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 11:31
Have you been on the Ranches FB page as someone may be able to recommend there
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 11:29
You could try Green Curve as they are an Interior Design company so would project manage the whole thing. I know what you mean about the tradesmen with the carrier bag and 'no idea' expression. I needed some help with changing the cupboards slightly in our kitchen following the installation of a new oven and had to tell them how to do it! If I had some tools it would have been easier to do it myself! I think the guys I posted about do some carpentry but I cannot vouch for them If you call and ask for Paul he may be able to advise you
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 11:17
You could try Green Curve as they are an Interior Design company so would project manage the whole thing. I know what you mean about the tradesmen with the carrier bag and 'no idea' expression. I needed some help with changing the cupboards slightly in our kitchen following the installation of a new oven and had to tell them how to do it! If I had some tools it would have been easier to do it myself!
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 09:10
For electrical and plumbing work I have used musthavemainteance.com I think Geordie has recommended them on there I cannot help with the other stuff though sorry
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 08:41
Hey, thanks Izzy. Geordie, if you see this please let me know which company you recommend.
Latest post on 19 February 2015 - 08:40
Geordie Expat was recommending a brit compay a while ago....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY