Moving to Oman by myself - some questions | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Oman by myself - some questions

Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 13:47

Hi all, I will be moving to Oman on my own and would appreciate some information (I apologize if these questions have already been covered in previous threads:):
1. Am I able to bring into the country approx 1 year supply of oral contraceptives (it's a form of therapy for me and can't have any other brand)
2. Which areas would you recommend to live ? I would appreciate being close to shopping /fitness center, cafes.
3. Dress code: what is the dress code in fitness centers? In terms of work dress code, what would be appropriate for a western woman to wear and what type of shoes are the norm? (i know about the shoulders, knees, cleavage covered but just trying to get an idea of what exactly you would wear)
4. If anyone knows of smaller furnished apartments, I'd appreciate any information.
Thank you in advance and I am very excited about coming to Omanbye:
<em>edited by ivy89 on 23/02/2015</em>

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 10 March 2015 - 09:50
Residential area: Morning and evening traffic in Muscat can be a nightmare so I would opt for living within the same general area as my work if possible. Clothing wise: Muscat is more conservative than Dubai IMO, smart business for work (as is appropriate anywhere)
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 19:16
Dear @debliz, thanks a lot for your helpful response. I now have a much better idea of what to bring and how to prepare myself. I will post more about the work location as soon as I find out all the details. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. take care and thanks again :)
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 10:36
You may also get some help here as, although the majority of posters seem to be in UAE, Qatar or KSA, there are a few here in Muscat and one lady, Original Sunshine, who has left but who still answers questions occasionally. http://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 10:32
Sorry, can't help with Q1 (thankfully too old for it to be an issue ?). For your Q2, if you can let us know where you will be working people will be better able to suggest areas to look at for accommodation. For Q3, I'm fortunate enough not to work but, looking at the ladies I see who do work, they wear clothing which would be considered appropriate anywhere such as dresses, skirts or trousers, perhaps teamed with a jacket in the cooler winter months. As for shoes some wear court style shoes, some wear sandals, some wear super blingy, vertiginously high-heeled shoes and yet other wear smart ballet pump-style shoes. And I'm sorry, can't help with your Q4 but, as I said earlier, if you say where you will be working others may be able to help. Good luck ?