Expat Dating Environment | ExpatWoman.com

Expat Dating Environment

Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 18:35

Hello Ladies, I have a question regarding the dating environment here in Doha. Since I just moved here recently I wonder how expat goes on dates. I hear its quite conservative here in Doha that is why I am pretty much intrigued on how the expats, specially the ones from western countries (culture) go on dates. How about the holding hands while walking? The kiss on the cheek for greets and goodbyes? Will that be okay to do out in public?

For those who have information to share, fill me please. :)

Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 11:48
Code of conduct depend much on where you are. I have seen girls in their shorts or in bikini on private beaches and inside compounds, considered a sort of "western environment". Holding hands is not a problem, I have seen local couples doing it, kissing on cheeks for greeting should not be a problem in restricted environment, but maybe I would not do it in a public square or in a shopping mall. I sometimes go for lunch at the university bar with a male colleague just because we work together and we have to discuss about our work, nobody asked us anything. Sometimes you will meet qatari men who will not shake hands with you when introduced, as a sign of respect. Sometimes they will do as they know that western women do. Just wait to see what they do.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 11:18
I am married so I don't know about the dating thing, but from what I have seen, people here hold hands, hugging and kissing in public probably not acceptable, but if you go out for lunch or coffee, I don't think anyone would stop you to ask about the nature of your relationship. In Saudi the religious police does, here I don't think such a thing exist.