School drill | ExpatWoman.com

School drill

Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 20:40

DD just told me they had a drill at school where they practiced how to hide and duck in classrooms as when being attacked. She said her teacher said all schools in Dubai are having these drills along with fire drills. Anyone else heard anything like this from their children? This makes me very uneasy. Should we be worried? :-/
<em>edited by Chocobella on 23/02/2015</em>

Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 10:54
NAS did it too a few weeks ago. They told the little ones it was a hiding game which seemed to reduce any "scare" factor they might have picked up on. I think it's a good idea to do it but also I can't even think about it ever being needed, it's just too frightening. Better to have done the drill though I suppose. The feedback from parents i know about the NAS one was that is was very well handled and organised, ie someone actually thought about it!
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 08:40
NAS did it too a few weeks ago. They told the little ones it was a hiding game which seemed to reduce any "scare" factor they might have picked up on. I think it's a good idea to do it but also I can't even think about it ever being needed, it's just too frightening. Better to have done the drill though I suppose.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 07:35
Thank you for posting this It has prompted a discussion with my daughter. From what she has explained to me they have fire drills and she has not mentioned anything else A few schools have more added security the past few months I have noticed I think drills are important and I will see if the school plans to have more than a fire drill
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 07:20
She was talking innocently about the crazy people and their assaults on children and since they've never had this kind of drill before, under the present circumstances it is rather scary, hence my question. Thank you for your responses. Indeed, I'd rather they are prepared and ready for any emergency, but I pray the opportunity to test them never occurs. <em>edited by Chocobella on 24/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 22:48
Our school have been doing it for years, maybe all schools have to do it now. . We had just moved here and my DD was in Grade 1 when they did it, it was her first experience, she thought it was for real and was really scared, she talked about it for weeks.
Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 21:34
My ds's school had their first lock down drill the other week and told me they were all told where to hide(within the classroom different kids in different areas) and I am happy to know they are practising...Does worry me a lot tho that this has now become necessary the world over...
Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 21:29
Keep hearing rumours about lockdown drills at DDs school, but nothing has actually taken place yet, nor have we seen any communication from the school about it yet.
Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 21:13
Both my kids' schools have Lockdown drills now and I am happier knowing that there is an established procedure and recognisable alarm that children and teachers can identify and follow should it be necessary. Without procedures and practice the most likely scenario is that everyone thinks the alarm is a fire drill and evacuates the school buildings, which is likely to result in more casualties. Whether the Lockdown drills are carried out as often as fire drills and the procedures are in line with best practice in places like the US is more of a concern to me. DS says his last Lockdown drill was 4 years ago...
Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 20:43
DS received a school security circular today too, seems there are directives to ensure better safety and security being established now. <em>edited by chezmoi on 23/02/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY