Calm down ladies, it's only an internet forum. | ExpatWoman.com

Calm down ladies, it's only an internet forum.

Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:24

I honestly can't believe the vapors going on here, all over a poster who may be a fake or a bot.

In case you hadn't noticed, it's an anonymous internet forum, not a private chat with your best girlfriend.
Did you expect it to be confidential?

And even if you have spent time posting a well thought out and researched reply, does it really matter? You put useful information out there, perhaps a real poster reading it may have benefited.

As for sneaky or lazy journalism, sources are sources, I can't think of any better (or more accurate) way of getting a feel for what the woman on the street is thinking than to read a forum like this.
In my day we had to go out and doorstep.
I would, of course have credited the source, as an anonymous poster on a public forum, but I do not believe that I would have been betraying a confidence, rather that I was giving a voice to someone who had something to say.

I know EW has become rather dull these days, but really, is it necessary to make mountains out of molehills by being so darn precious?

Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 20:33
'Clutching your pearls' is the best expression I've heard in ages ? That's definitely making a comeback now lol!!
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 10:51
[i'>They make lots of stock posts such as 'Thank you for your help, it was very useful' then come back days or weeks later and edit the post to incorporate a spam link - because it is an old post no-one notices yet the thing is sat there for google etc to pick up as a valid posting of their link[/i'> Blimey DT, how bizarre. Can't stand spam, it actually stops me visiting brands that I previously shopped in cos I refuse to give custom to companies who litter up my phone with rubbish texts.... edited by Artemis2 on 26/02/2015 Yes, a lot of people, myself included, find certain types of advertising a turn-off...
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 10:19
[i'>They make lots of stock posts such as 'Thank you for your help, it was very useful' then come back days or weeks later and edit the post to incorporate a spam link - because it is an old post no-one notices yet the thing is sat there for google etc to pick up as a valid posting of their link[/i'> Blimey DT, how bizarre. Can't stand spam, it actually stops me visiting brands that I previously shopped in cos I refuse to give custom to companies who litter up my phone with rubbish texts.... <em>edited by Artemis2 on 26/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 09:41
I'm obviously in the minority here, and beginning to wish I'd never pointed out the obvious fact that on an open internet forum, all may not be as it seems. Goodness knows, there have been enough examples of that over the years. And yes, I find some of the responses ironic. However this is an open forum and [b'>we are all entitled to our own opinions[/b'>. As long as they are not "precious" or "making mountains out of molehills"....
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 21:11
I'm obviously in the minority here, and beginning to wish I'd never pointed out the obvious fact that on an open internet forum, all may not be as it seems. Goodness knows, there have been enough examples of that over the years. And yes, I find some of the responses ironic. However this is an open forum and we are all entitled to our own opinions. what's an opinion ? lol
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 14:18
I'm obviously in the minority here, and beginning to wish I'd never pointed out the obvious fact that on an open internet forum, all may not be as it seems. Goodness knows, there have been enough examples of that over the years. And yes, I find some of the responses ironic. However this is an open forum and we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 13:19
If you really have such a [b'>low opinion [/b'>of EW posters, perhaps you should petition the Mods for a sticky.................. Be aware, this is the Internet, what you say may be read by others. On the contrary, many of them get a lot from EW and are happy to pay it back, you're the one who is being sarcastic and condescending.. "did you expect it to be confidential" ? No, I don't think anyone here is that naïve - their point is that they feel used and mocked... Why would you not expect posters to at least be real people ?? You don't get irony, do you? Is that when you're rude about people then when you don't get the response you expected you pretend it was a joke ? That kind of irony ?
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 12:43
I am baffled by this latest spat. For a kick off, I don't understand what anybody would gain from reanimating inane questions about how long it takes to get from A to B from another board. I mean, seriously? I think it might be a bot, but then to what purpose? I can see that those who bothered to answer are miffed since they presumably thought they were replying to someone authentic. But what I can't understand is what possible ulterior motive would compel someone to construct an identity and bombard a board with these vacuous posts. Good grief. Dullesville. It makes [i'>Moonflower[/i'> look like Comedy Central. They make lots of stock posts such as 'Thank you for your help, it was very useful' then come back days or weeks later and edit the post to incorporate a spam link - because it is an old post no-one notices yet the thing is sat there for google etc to pick up as a valid posting of their link... Just one possiblility....You can google for more... lol <em>edited by Doubting Thomas on 25/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 12:19
Thank you ladies I guess its one of those threads you had to 'be there' to see unfold.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 11:55
Its part and parcel of posting on a public forum. I remember posters being really excited that one of their comments made it into one of the Dubai newspapers lol
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 11:47
I am baffled by this latest spat. For a kick off, I don't understand what anybody would gain from reanimating inane questions about how long it takes to get from A to B from another board. I mean, seriously? I think it might be a bot, but then to what purpose? I can see that those who bothered to answer are miffed since they presumably thought they were replying to someone authentic. But what I can't understand is what possible ulterior motive would compel someone to construct an identity and bombard a board with these vacuous posts. Good grief. Dullesville. It makes [i'>Moonflower[/i'> look like Comedy Central.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 11:42
For those who are lost, what happened was a recent new joiner Mona1 kept posting new threads asking very survey/research questions like: "What do you think is the biggest misconception about life in Dubai?" "What is the best xxxx?" Some smart people caught on that she was just reposting the same questions that she or someone else had posted in other forums on other websites. Then a thread was started by other EW regulars asking her to explain herself, which has now been deleted. Personally, if someone is violating the rules of EW, the regulars are bound to get outraged. We come here to genuinely help each other, if someone will use that for their own business purposes, we are entitled to be annoyed.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 11:31
Not necessarily research - could be a professional poster or may not even be a real person at all !! Who knows....
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 10:37
Did I miss something? Please dont say this is *still* about Moonflower? It isn't no :-) What is it about SL? I stopped prepping for lunch for this :) edited by Redrec Tangle on 25/02/2015 A poster is resurrecting threads from other sites and posting them on here. It seems it is purely for research purposes as it seems to be the same threads and some are from other sites from 2008 ( That's the gist of it)
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 10:24
Did I miss something? Please dont say this is *still* about Moonflower? It isn't no :-) What is it about SL? I stopped prepping for lunch for this :) <em>edited by Redrec Tangle on 25/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 10:23
Well the posts regarding this scam is vanishing. I wonder when this post will be taken down next.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 10:19
Did I miss something? Please dont say this is *still* about Moonflower? It isn't no :-)
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 10:16
Did I miss something? Please dont say this is *still* about Moonflower?
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 09:48
Now each time a new post appears I check up on Google if this is another survey scam (copy pasted from another forum). Well I think most of you are doing the same now. Just losing trust in the forum. I always looked up on expatwoman for genuine reviews and opinions, but now thanks to few posters everyone will think twice before spending time to give their opinion.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 22:09
LT, fair enough in some sense, but...really? Scolding the "regulars," and for what? I can't speak for everyone, but some of us really appreciate the sanctity, for lack of a better term, the info that is passed on here. No one is daft enough to believe in complete anonymity. Most of us take things with a grain of salt, but surely you appreciate something about the regulars of this forum otherwise you would not continue to check in and contribute even after you have moved on from Dubai, yes? I am not having a go at you; you have plenty of wisdom to impart from wherever you may reside and plenty to share based on your time in Dubai. But this thread you've started confuses me. In my humble opinion, it seems the reactionary replies as of late to the bots, shills--or whatever they are is simply an effort to protect (sounds a little silly as I write this) the information passed along. At least for me, that's all.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 21:36
**********clutches pearls at the suggestion of “Just an internet forum!” ******************
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 20:47
If you really have such a [b'>low opinion [/b'>of EW posters, perhaps you should petition the Mods for a sticky.................. Be aware, this is the Internet, what you say may be read by others. On the contrary, many of them get a lot from EW and are happy to pay it back, you're the one who is being sarcastic and condescending.. "did you expect it to be confidential" ? No, I don't think anyone here is that naïve - their point is that they feel used and mocked... Why would you not expect posters to at least be real people ?? You don't get irony, do you?
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 20:41
The reactions on the thread, now removed, calmly asking the OP for an explanation of her multiple cut and paste questions sourced from elsewhere years ago, could hardly be accurately described as anyone having the "vapours". Naturally there is a justifiable sense for those who took time out to help of having their time wasted and of being misled. They are real people who spent real time and effort giving real answers only to find the questions were completely spoof. Just because this happened on a forum does not detract from their right to express their feelings of being misled. Of course no one here thinks this is a private or personal chat room, its an exaggeration to say anyone is clutching at pearls in horror, and what is the relevance of the length of time anyone has been on this forum? Since its actually not permitted to use this forum to source material for research I think those who have objected are well within their rights to express their feelings.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 20:38
I have been Out all day. What did I miss?
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:58
Common sense, that's why. And I find it odd that most of the posts "clutching pearls' at the concept of fake posters, are in general, long established and one would assume "computer savvy" members of EW. There has always been wind up posters on here but people generating traffic as a job and posters that aren't even people are a relatively new phenomenon. It's nothing to do with not being computer savvy, it's just not liking the way things are going on forums.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:45
If you really have such a [b'>low opinion [/b'>of EW posters, perhaps you should petition the Mods for a sticky.................. Be aware, this is the Internet, what you say may be read by others. On the contrary, many of them get a lot from EW and are happy to pay it back, you're the one who is being sarcastic and condescending.. "did you expect it to be confidential" ? No, I don't think anyone here is that naïve - their point is that they feel used and mocked... Why would you not expect posters to at least be real people ?? Common sense, that's why. And I find it odd that most of the posts "clutching pearls' at the concept of fake posters, are in general, long established and one would assume "computer savvy" members of EW.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:43
I don't expect it to be confidential and don't take anything on here too seriously but I can't stand bs'ing time wasters or people who misrepresent themselves - whether it be in real life or on here. I thank my lucky stars I got married before the rise of Tinder :)
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:37
If you really have such a [b'>low opinion [/b'>of EW posters, perhaps you should petition the Mods for a sticky.................. Be aware, this is the Internet, what you say may be read by others. On the contrary, many of them get a lot from EW and are happy to pay it back, you're the one who is being sarcastic and condescending.. "did you expect it to be confidential" ? No, I don't think anyone here is that naïve - their point is that they feel used and mocked... Why would you not expect posters to at least be real people ??
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:35
I find it obnoxious the way the forum gets copy/pasted in articles and the format blatantly looks like a sit down interview. Everything from schools to jinns has been taken from here. A reminder though to not use your real name as a user name or to disclose identifying information....because yes- it's the Internet
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 19:30
If you really have such a low opinion of EW posters, perhaps you should petition the Mods for a sticky.................. Be aware, this is the Internet, what you say may be read by others.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY