food & clothes | ExpatWoman.com

food & clothes

Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 15:46

Hello,
Me & my family are relocating to Dubai mid this year and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to stock up on certain items and put in with our shipping container to limit our expense while out there?

Things like:
Bin bags
Washing powder
Tinned food (beans, sweetcorn etc)

Also, what clothing to bring? Is it warm all year so you only wear shorts, t-shirts & dresses or does it get cooler where you would need jeans and a cardigan.

Another thing, I know you should cover from shoulders to knees but would it be ok to wear a strap top or a skirt a few inches above the knee? I want to make sure I don't offend anyone but wondering how strict it really is!?
Thank You
edited by Angel1985 on 25/02/2015
<em>edited by Angel1985 on 25/02/2015</em>

Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 22:17
Thanks alot ladies :-)
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 09:15
There isn't a Primark in the UAE Ikea is the same price as UK ( I have compared UK and UAE items) however most other high street shops are 20% more in cost ( Debenhams, River island, Top Shop, Dotty P's) etc
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 08:25
Oh, and most of the stores here that are the same as in the UK share very little with their UK partners beyond the actual name !!
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 08:23
Have been here nearly 5 years and have never worn anything but flipflops !! Lol..I also don't have a coat or jacket here or an umbrella..just depends on the individual i guess...but we do have a blanket in the car for winter school runs and i do wear warm trousers in winter...also, aircon can get quite chilly in summer. . CP is right about your stuff sitting in the heat - we always remind people not to pack candles !! Personally i find food shoping no more expensive here than at home unless you are buying niche imports and the range of plastic storage and bags is fab, although i don't actually use bin bags (black sack gets replaced when they empty our wheely bin 3 times a week - yes really....not once a fortnight like at home !! and i recycle carrier bags for inside bins)..
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 21:06
you can not ship booze or certain liquids, best to get a check list from your importer as to what is ok to ship.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 20:54
I would only stock up on stuff that you won't be able to get here. Dubai has pretty much everything and a bit more. If you have specific brands that you like to use and you're not sure if you can get here, maybe you can post it so we can tell you if it's available here.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 20:40
Still pack shorter skirts etc if you wish, as around tourist areas/ hotels many ladies do not adhere to the covering up regulations. IKEA is good and cheap. I wouldn't risk trying to bring any alcohol in or other stuff that is against Muslim beliefs.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 19:40
Thank you all for your replies. I didn't think about the container being sat in the port! Will definitely stock up on clothing & suncream :-) What is the primark & ikea like out there? Can you buy tassimo pods anywhere? We're debating weather to bring out coffee machine!? Are we able to bring alcohol in our container or buy at duty free without having a licence? We will be looking to get one when we are there. <em>edited by Angel1985 on 25/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 16:34
Also remember that your container will sit in the port where it regularly reaches 45 degrees + in the summer. :) Your food, candles, make up, lotions and potions will all be merrily boiling away at that time and will be ruined. Clothes is the best thing to stock up on. It definitely does get chilly here, you'll not only need jumpers, boots etc for winter (can be 9 degrees leaving for the school run in winter) but you'll also need them when you go to a Mall or the Cinema in the summer, as it's baltic in there too. happy packing! ;)
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 16:22
If you are bringing your vacuum cleaner and it isn't one of the bagless makes then bring lots and lots of replacement bags. Also make sure you have Skype loaded on your PC/laptop/tablet or whatever. I wouldn't recommend putting pork in your container, though ?
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 15:52
Hello, Me & my family are relocating to Dubai mid this year and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to stock up on certain items and put in with our shipping container to limit our expense while out there? Things like: Bin bags Washing powder Tinned food (beans, sweetcorn etc) Also, what clothing to bring? Is it warm all year so you only wear shorts, t-shirts & dresses or does it get cooler where you would need jeans and a cardigan. Thank You edited by Angel1985 on 25/02/2015 Bin bags are plentiful and similar prices to the UK Washing power/liquid is very expensive here Tinned food is plentiful and cheap ( Baked beans/sweetcorn/tinned toms etc) Expensive items are clothing ( If you shop in M&S and Debenhams) Suntan lotion perfume Makeup brands Facewipes ( L'Oreal, johnsons etc) Pork We have Waitrose here so you can get practically everything that you can at home. Some supermarkets have concessions of Tescos and Iceland products too! It gets cold in the malls and offices so bring jeans/sweaters etc at the moment it is around 18 degrees in the morning and my office feels like an ice box ( I wear 70 denier tights to work in winter) If you like a vino get your quota on arrival at the airport as it takes a while to get your booze licence. It isn't strict per se but always best to be respectful in government buildings/public places/schools/malls etc Welcome! <em>edited by sarahlou123 on 25/02/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY