Commuting DXB - AUH | ExpatWoman.com

Commuting DXB - AUH

Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 12:48

Hi ladies, I asked this question in Abu Dhabi forum but no one replied , would be keen to hear your opinions?

Hi Ladies,

So there's a possibility DH will be posted to Abu Dhabi and wondered what you think of the daily commute from Dubai, if anyone does it? I'm thinking its huge, tiring and soul destroying?

Is that drive really bad everyday with traffic and accidents?

He says no need for us to move there just yet and he is happy to commute but I worry about that trip plus a 9 hour work day would potentially be 12 - 13 hours per day?

Do any of you do it or your DH?

I think he would travel to just a little past Khalifa City? :(

Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 18:54
My hubby works in AD and we live in Silicon Oasis. for over a year he has done the commute daily and it has finally got the better of him. He works in construction so long hours as it is, combined with the commute, he was never getting in until at least 9pm every night. We never moved to AD as we couldn't get schools so we are now settled in Dubai and won't move. Hubby now travels on a Sunday morning, stays in a hotel 3 nights (until work find a company villa for a few of them to stay in) then comes home Wed night. He works in Dubai on a Thurs. He thought he would be able to do it but it has sure taken it's toll. Wouldn't recommend it long term!
Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 14:11
My DH does it everyday from the Mirdif area. Fortunately, he carpools so only has to drive max twice a week. Personally, I don't think it is a permanent solution, but if it is just to finish off the school year, it's fine. I would start looking at accommodation and schools in Abu Dhabi.
Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 14:10
He might also consider the odd night in a hotel/with friends in AD - if too exhausted.
Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 13:51
It is still an extremely popular route. But many companies will not pay out housing allowance unless you relocate to AUH - so just keep an eye on that. Its not a requirement to live in AD they have said, thanks all for the info, car sharing is an option so he can take turns driving. We may consider shifting to AD in the future but its half way through school year etc so not wanting to do that just yet.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 18:04
What will make it easier - 1. living in "New Dubai" areas - nearer to Abu Dhabi and close to direct route 2. if he is young, fit and strong 3. If he can share some of the driving with others and even take a taxi sometimes 4. not too many foggy days - the worst I think for this commute. <em>edited by bingo12 on 26/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 16:44
I have my relatives and friends doing this route in the past because of better job offers but after some time, from what I observed, stress took its toll on their lives eventually plus the risk of road accidents.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:54
I did it for about 18 months & although DH & I were prepared for it to interrupt our lives, I don't think either of us expected how much it would take out of me. Personally, I wouldn't consider doing it again, even though I had a job I really wanted at the time. But, lots of people do it. I think it is a mind set which you get on with. Good luck with your decision.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 14:54
It is still an extremely popular route. But many companies will not pay out housing allowance unless you relocate to AUH - so just keep an eye on that.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 13:47
Thanks Mnadir,
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 13:39
hi, I have been doing this commute everyday for 3+ years. its better to car pool (check dubbizle for service providers). its depends on the time u leave from abu dhabi. past 5 it gets busy. but it can be done if u are patient and not driving everyday.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY