Is Mutton Sheep/Lamb or Goat? | ExpatWoman.com

Is Mutton Sheep/Lamb or Goat?

Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 14:46

OK ladies...which one is MUTTON - in the UAE context? It appears everything I was taught in school does not apply here.
Same for parsley and coriander but please help out with the meat section

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 16:28
I've often asked myself that question! My mother in law cooks really nice meat which I always assumed as sheep/mutton/lamb. Then one day she told me it's goat meat and no one here ever cooks with sheep. I was surprised because i've never seen goat meat for sale in the supermarket! only sheep :s
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 18:20
I think it totally depends upon where the meat is coming from. In my experience: Indian and Pakistani mutton = goat meat Australian and NZ mutton = older sheep (doubt you could but it here) In Australia and NZ Mutton is the older sheep, hogget young adult sheep, and lamb is baby sheep.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 17:39
In most places in the world, mutton means older sheep. As the others have said, mutton here is goat meat. I've asked in Carrefour and Spinneys and been told the same.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 17:15
Ooops I thought I had it sorted until CP - thanks for that. Will stick to NZ lamb for the duration of visit.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 17:11
I agree with CP on this. In the UAE - Lamb is lamb. Mutton is goat. Especially in Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern restaurants. I was quite amazed when I discovered Indian mutton is goat (mutton was always sheep, not lamb or goat, in my mind), but after a lot of asking around it's true! <em>edited by Ohman on 26/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 16:58
No idea about the UAE but when we were on holiday in Greece we were convinced the "Lamb" on the menus was always goat simply because, as CP says, we never saw a single sheep there but always lots of goats !! We wondered if maybe they didn't want to upset the tourists...but in any case we always enjoyed every meal we had, whether it was goat or sheep... But if the OP is asking because of an allergy then I think she should maybe try to find a definitive answer from maybe a government website or something, rather than a chat forum....(apologies if there are any licenced butchers on here)... And coriander has a very distinctive smell, especially if you rub it between your fingers...
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 16:06
I saw a sheep once here recently, can't remember when it was. It was quite an occasion and quite exciting. Possibly at Nazwa farm area. I miss the sound of sheep!
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:59
I'm with you CP! When I was first told that mutton here is actually goat I didn't quite believe it (being from NZ, the land of sheep) so I asked in a few supermarkets and restaurants. I was invariably told it's goat.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:52
Singarosa:- - any 'mutton' dish you buy in any Asian/Arabic restaurant here will be goat meat. - what do you see a lot of in this region (goats) compared to none of (sheep) - Lamb meat is mostly imported and more expensive (think NZ etc) - Lamb meat is labelled "lamb chops" or 'lamb shoulder' etc - Lamb meat is more expensive - Goat meat is labelled "mutton". :) <em>edited by CouchPotato on 26/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:50
Mutton here is always sheep or sometimes if you're lucky lamb . Only from butchers you can get goat. The particular difference between coriander and parsley if u look down the bunch is in coriander 2 to 3 stems are joint together along with some part of roots. parsley has a fine clean chopped ends. ( first ever post apologies in advance if not replying appropriately) :biggrin:
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:49
lol i think she is more confursed now than before i still believe that mutton is sheep though. lived her for 27 years never told otherwise.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:40
Generally in the Middle East, "Mutton" is meat from a goat, and not an older sheep. Lamb is usually labelled "lamb". Many people find goat meat to be tastier than lamb meat and it is used widely in biryanis and middle eastern rice/meat dishes.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:31
Mutton isn't lamb either. Lamb is a baby sheep under 1 year old. Mutton is the meat of an older sheep. ok
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:26
I should have added, hence the term 'Mutton dressed as lamb' - something older masquerading as something younger.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:18
Thank you ladies! ;)
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:18
Whilst parsley (the flat leaf variety) and coriander look very much alike there are subtle differences in the appearance of the leaves. In coriander the leaves have a finer, slightly more delicate appearance but the main difference is in the smell and flavour. Just break off a leaf and rub it between your fingers - it soon becomes apparent which is which.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:15
I've asked this question before and I was laughed off the forum. It is a serious question, though. I believe that Indian mutton means goat... I don't know about the other types of mutton though... True that I ask because my guest is allergic to goat meat. I am Pescetarian and never visit the meat section.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 15:06
Mutton isn't lamb either. Lamb is a baby sheep under 1 year old. Mutton is the meat of an older sheep.
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 14:59
im sorry that you were laughed at. it is a genuine question. mutton is sheep/lamb. goat is not very widely used in supermarkets as the meat is quite tough but you can find it at the butcher. hth
Latest post on 26 February 2015 - 14:55
I've asked this question before and I was laughed off the forum. It is a serious question, though. I believe that Indian mutton means goat... I don't know about the other types of mutton though...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY