Expat Areas to live in Abu Dhabi | ExpatWoman.com

Expat Areas to live in Abu Dhabi

Latest post on 13 July 2018 - 00:43
I really like living on Al Reem Island and I think it's a perfect place for expats. There is a lot of new building. ;)
Hi MariaMon - I just got a teaching job at Virginia International School. Is Al Reem close to that?
Latest post on 18 June 2018 - 12:51
I really like living on Al Reem Island and I think it's a perfect place for expats. There is a lot of new building. ;)
Latest post on 14 June 2018 - 09:32
180K is plenty for 2 bedroom apartment in Abu Dhabi. We just moved here from Dubai, and we have rented 3 Bedroom apartment on Khaleej Al Arabi street, which is just 5 minutes away from Marina Mall...
Hi Milena, do you still have kefir grand can share with me or do you know where can I get it, please
Latest post on 16 March 2015 - 18:49
Many thanks for the advice Milena_Dubai. :) I think a 3 bedroom apartment might be too big for us though (it's only me, hubby and our 16 month old daughter!), but like you said, we may have to consider it if there's no other option. But we'll definitely think about driving around, seeing what's available! <em>edited by Bristol2AD on 16/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 16 March 2015 - 16:49
180K is plenty for 2 bedroom apartment in Abu Dhabi. We just moved here from Dubai, and we have rented 3 Bedroom apartment on Khaleej Al Arabi street, which is just 5 minutes away from Marina Mall and Cornish area. I found the apartment myself by driving my car in the areas that I wanted to rent and reading all the signs hanging on the property doors. What I found was that there were no 2 bedroom apartments available, but mainly 3 bedroom. And from what I've read, the price difference was like 20 thousand, so may be, you should consider 3 bedroom as well. We thought about Al Reem island for rent - there 2 bedroom apartments start at 120K when I was looking, but I've heard that the traffic going towards Marina Mall and the Abu Dhabi Island is very bad in the morning and evening time, so I just concentrated on Manaseer area, Al Bateen, Khaleej Al Arabi str. All of these areas are low buildings and old development. I hope this helps.
Latest post on 14 March 2015 - 23:36
Thanks moverandasheikha for the advice! Our budget is 180k - do you think that will be enough for a 2 bed apartment in Khalidiyah near the Corniche? :) <em>edited by Bristol2AD on 14/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 11 March 2015 - 10:03
It all comes together pretty easily here. Have a look on googlemaps. The corniche has loads and loads of apartment blocks, once you are here, have a wonder around and ask if any are empty. Do you know your allowance yet, as that will determine where you live more than anything! Good luck, it is a very easy life here...
Latest post on 10 March 2015 - 14:20
Thank you AbuDhabiHausfrau and xpatamy for your advice! xpatamy - we might actually try this when we're there, thanks for the suggestion! :)
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 19:04
For apartments in Khalidya I have heard of people just going into buildings in the area they want to live in and asking security if there are any flats available rather than going through estate agents. Good luck!
Latest post on 08 March 2015 - 19:25
We live in world trade center, only 10 min. drive from Marina mall. There are lots of expats and kids living here. Not sure if there are any available 2-rooms apartments though.
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 23:48
Thank you so much lexiefy and xpatamy for your replies - really useful information! I've heard some dodgy things about estate agents in AD, and I guess we'll just have to stay on our toes! I've looked at Propertyfinder, Dubizzle and Justrentals - and sometimes you see the same pictures, but for different ads/properties! I guess it's still quite early to look for properties though (we're planning to move mid-late July), although we're doing as much research as possible to get a feel for prices/what's available… As for apartments - have found a few, but more close to Abu Dhabi Mall/Al Reem side than Corniche/Bateen… If anyone can recommend anymore, we'd most grateful! But we will definitely check out Eclipse Hotel Apartments… :) edited by Bristol2AD on 07/03/2015 <em>edited by Bristol2AD on 07/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 23:09
I would recommend staying in a hotel apartment when you first arrive to figure out which area you want to be in. As far as i know you usually have to sign up for 6 months or more likely a year for rental accommodation but I suppose there must be some short term rental places! We stayed in eclipse hotel apartments for a few months first, not too far to marina but there are probably closer ones in al bateen or khalidya. You'll mainly find apartments in khalidya and corniche areas, not villas. Now we live in al Reem. There's a bus from here all the way to marina but takes at least half an hour. Taxis are cheap though! Probably about £4 from here to marina.
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 17:44
Hi! The marina mall area is called Breakwater. My husband works there too. He had been staying in apartment hotels since he arrived, unable/unwilling to find more permanent accommodation. He has had bad experiences with some of the real estate agencies on Dubizzle. Some charge a fee to show you a place. Others will put ads on that are just bait. On the phone they ask what your housing allowance is and try to sell you on a property slightly above that amount. I know that negotiation is the name of the game here, but hubby dislikes it with a passion. I tried Airbnb too. Maybe you'll have more luck than I did. No one replied to my offers. Khalidiya is a great neigbourhood for your husband, since he can take the #5 bus to Marina Mall. Apparently, there are a few villas behind Khalidiya Mall that are worth checking out. Otherwise, other not too out of the way areas would be Al Markaziyah, Al Bateen, Tourist Club Area and Al Reem. This last one being where you will find the highest concentration of expats I think. (We did find a place on Dubizzle in the end).
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 19:30
Many thanks for the advice ADEve - much appreciated! :) Can you or anyone else advise if there are any expat compounds in Khalidiyah/Corniche area? If so, are these just large villas, or are there 2 bed villas/apartments too?
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 17:51
From Khalidya to Marina mall would be about 10 minutes? At the max! Depending on traffic it might also be 5 minutes. Cost would be about 7 dirhams I think, 10 at the max. It's very cheap. If your husband will be working in the Marina mall area, Khalidya is a great place to live. I have some friends living there and they really like it because of the restaurants, cafe's, supermarkets and it's very close to the Corniche beach. They do live in the newer buildings though, so make sure to look into these rather than the older ones. Also the WTC residences/Burj Mohammed Bin Rashid building may be an option for you, it's also downtown and easy to go to Marina. However, I'm not sure if there are still a lot of apartments available there.
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 14:43
Thanks PollyE for the tip - will definitely bear this in mind! Can anyone advise roughly how long it may take by car/taxi from Khalidiyah to the Marinal Mall? Also roughly how much it may cost for a taxi fare to get there? Thanks in advance. :)
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 00:43
Take the property search websites with a pinch of salt, a lot of entries are fictional. Be very careful dealing with estate agents out here, they operate very differently from what I was used to in UK. You'll find loads of advice about them online - try expatforum (look at the Dubai postings) for no holds barred info. ...good luck. edited by PollyE on 02/03/2015 edited by PollyE on 02/03/2015
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 18:58
Thanks Lettie, that's a really interesting link - will definitely check out some of those places mentioned! Does anyone here live in Khalidiyah and is able to give us some advice on the area? :-)
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 07:34
It is common to stay in a short-term rental apartment when you arrive as you can not rent an apartment before you have a residence visa. I saw this yesterday, maybe it will help you: http://abudhabiweek.ae/short-term-accommodation-guide/
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 00:55
Thanks Lettie and busybee2 for your replies. As far we are aware, they're still constructing my husband's workplace! But we've been told it's not too far from the Marina Mall, hence why we're probably veering towards Khalidiyah for accommodation. Can anyone suggest or advise re: short term (1-2 month) 2 bedroom apartment rentals, which we will probably have to consider at the beginning? Where's best to look for them? Did anyone else rent like this at the beginning too?
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 21:11
its not so much as slow... but its a pain logging in to the site, so only do so every so often!
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 21:11
marina island... (its not called that) but presumbly the new hotel/villas they are building on it by marina mall etc. khalidya would be quite close but apartments and may find one for that, much better than reem which is the other side of the island. u will not find a villa even up at 160 mark they are usually 200k plus on the island... for a villa you would need to go to al reef/kca etc. 2 beds are the most sought after and so command a higher price etc.