Someone to seal out the sand coming through 2 balcony doors | ExpatWoman.com

Someone to seal out the sand coming through 2 balcony doors

Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 12:21

We're looking for a work person who is experienced in making tight seals for 2 glass doors onto a balcony because sand comes in even when they are firmly shut. One is a sliding door and particularly bad - this is on 20th floor too! Sand even seems to be coming through the non-opening fixed long length panes of glass as well - but it may just be drifting from the door area. Hope to find reasonable priced service man for the job. Think it might be a matter of sticking strips of rubber/plastic sealing round the door frames - but could be wrong! Thx.
<em>edited by bingo12 on 27/02/2015</em>

Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:16
Thanks for the advice. I have not heard back from Emeril yet. I have tried something similar to what you describe but with it being a sliding door - after a while the stuck-on foam rubber tape comes loose. It's actually worse now than ever as the original "wadding" that was in the door 's frame where the sliding door went in - has now perished and drops off in clumps!
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:53
what we do is buy rolls of foam tape (1cm wide) which I stick around the door frame. It's in Daiso for 7dhs per roll (one roll does maybe one window or most of a door, so you'd need a few rolls to do patio doors. It acts as an insulator too, to stop your expensive air conditioning escaping outside, and goes some way to stop dust coming in, too. It's a noise insulator, too, to a degree. You can buy it in different thicknesses and you can't see it once you have applied it. It's so easy and inexpensive that when you move out it's easy to remove without trace, and if it starts to wear off or gets too clogged with sand, it's easy to replace. I use it in sliding windows, my front door (which had a half inch gap all the way around, between the door and the door frame!) and patio sliding doors. When placing on sliding door frame, make a note of where the doors need to slide and place the tape accordingly, so the tape doesn't block the way.
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 19:17
As I did not hear of anyone - I phoned Emeril who do maintenance repairs etc. for people in Emaar buildings. I think they may have a sub contractor who does this sort of thing. Anyway someone will look at the job perhaps tomorrow. Will post any more news.
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 19:05
If you find someone professional id be interested too. I bought a roll of rubber strips from ace and stuck it around all my windows. It reduced the amount of sand coming in but it's not perfect. Needs changing every year or so also.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 18:17
I don't know who to recommend, however, sand is a way of life here - inside and out. I place rolled towels across the base of some doors which let sand directly under but otherwise, no matter what I do, sand comes inside.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY