FS1 in school vs. Pre Kg in Nursery ---- Urgent | ExpatWoman.com

FS1 in school vs. Pre Kg in Nursery ---- Urgent

Latest post on 27 February 2015 - 16:42

Hi Ladies,
My situation - I have a son who is 3yrs and I missed the deadline to apply for FS1 in most british schools. Now I have no choice but to continue him in a nursery (Canadian syl) for a year and then try directly for FS2 for next Sept in take (which already has a waiting list in most schools). In this situation, I seek advise/thoughts on 2 questions -
1. If he studies pre-Kg in this canadian school, will he miss anything academically or will he be behind other kids studying FS1 in a proper british school? Will he have any challenge coping up with the syllabus going into FS2 in a school?
2. How difficult is to get admissions in FS2 directly, after having done pre-kg in a nursery? Do schools discriminate against students coming from nursery for FS2 admissions?

Will appreciate candid thoughts/advise ASAP.

Many thanks!

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 21:21
@ Tiptoptoni - My child goes to Kinderville canadian nursery which is a feeder to Raffles. However, when I spoke to Raffles last week, they said kinderville is the last priority and offer no guaranteed seat, which is why I started panicking in the first place. Kinderville is in contact with Raffles regarding this matter and will get back to me as the nursery has promised a guaranteed seat in Raffles. There seems to be some confusion internally which is being sorted out. @plum2 - Yes, I have already applied in DESS for FS2 in sep 16 and waiting for others to open admissions.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 21:06
And I would be applying now for FS2 entry in Sept 16. Don't leave it too late.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:37
Another thing you could look at is putting your child into one of the feeder nurseries for a school you want to try for FS2. That way you would be much higher up the list for getting in.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:16
Thank you ladies for your invaluable advice ! For the moment, we have just decided to let my LO continue in the nursery he is going to and hoping he will surely get into one of the schools that we will apply for next year. Thanks again:)
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 14:12
I think most people like to overhype this I decided to keep my son in his nursery last year for fs 1 although everyone had warned me that it will be next to impossible to get into fs 2 directly( am sure they meant well) Well guess what..I got a call for assessments from all the 3 schools I had short listed..maybe not the dess and Jess...but I really believe there is more to dubai than just dess or Jess. I was in your shoes last year...I was so stressed out but trust me it's ok..just apply early this year to your short listed schools for next year s fs2 Good luck
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:16
Many thanks for your reply, plum2 and Tiptoptoni. As plum2 says, FS1 is play based so, I guess its fine if I continue him in the current nursery(I dont have a choice anyway!). My worry is just like that of Tiptoptoni , what if my son doesnt get admission anywhere in FS2? Most schools like DESS have clearly indicated that they will not consider children who have done FS2 in a nursey for admission in their school because the children will not be able to cope with the grade 1 syllabus. Is it really that difficult for children ? I dont want to burden my little one. please share your thoughts! It really helps.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:01
My worry would be making sure you can get a place in FS2 in a school you are happy with. As you say, there are already waiting lists for FS2 in many schools and only a limited number of places open up in FS2. This is the main reason why I went for FS1 in a school rather than a nursery but if you are only planning on staying here for a year or two more, maybe it's less important.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 14:49
In British Curriculum schools the FS1 year is very much a play-based curriculum, with no formal teaching of reading and writing for example. That all starts in FS2. I am sure the same material would be covered at Nursery.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY