Dubai college asks dhs25000 debenture from new scholars... | ExpatWoman.com

Dubai college asks dhs25000 debenture from new scholars...

Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:00
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 23:32
Back in the 80's early 90's my company paid the 25,000 debenture at Dubai College and we still haven't gotten it back. Wow! That is a lot of money. The best schools are clearly for the wealthy... If your company still have not received their debenture back from a school, the question would be, For what period was the debenture for , 3 years ,10 years 50 years ? One would assume your company have the debenture available at the school for someone in your company to use. If your company no longer require a debenture one would assume your company would contact the school to request a refund. Many people would be delighted if their comapny still had a debenture at a school as it may give their child an opportunity to attend that school.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 23:32
Back in the 80's early 90's my company paid the 25,000 debenture at Dubai College and we still haven't gotten it back. Wow! That is a lot of money. The best schools are clearly for the wealthy... If your company still have not received their debenture back from a school, the question would be, For what period was the debenture for , 3 years ,10 years 50 years ? One would assume your company have the debenture available at the school for someone in your company to use. If your company no longer require a debenture one would assume your company would contact the school to request a refund. Many people would be delighted if their comapny still had a debenture at a school as it may give their child an opportunity to attend that school.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:48
Back in the 80's early 90's my company paid the 25,000 debenture at Dubai College and we still haven't gotten it back. Wow! That is a lot of money. The best schools are clearly for the wealthy...
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:18
Back in the 80's early 90's my company paid the 25,000 debenture at Dubai College and we still haven't gotten it back.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 19:20
In the case of DC, is it a deposit that will come off the yearly tuition fees or an extra fee on top of that? I always thought a debenture was an extra fee? Generally a debenture is in addition to yearly fees but refundable when the student leaves the school. At our school, when we were offered a place it was contingent on paying the personal debenture which is capital for the not for profit school during the time the child is there. If the child leaves it is refundable. Likewise, if a student uses a corporate debenture (which the corporation has bought so many of in advance) and leaves the school, the debenture is not 'refundable' to the corporation but can be used to secure a place for another employee's child from the same company.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 19:01
When I went to Dubai College back in the 80's there was a Debenture system in place there then of around that amount which parents or companies had to pay. I had expected it to still be in place when my children then went too, but wasn't throughout their education there.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 15:12
Does anyone know if other non-profit schools will be implementing this?
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:30
Plans change over summer and people decide to move elsewhere. This puts schools in a difficult position as they cant fill the empty places. I don't think this will ever be the case for DC, hundreds went for their places and only the creme got in. The non profits have lower fees and need to raise capital to invest in staff and rising costs, debentures are a good way for them to do that. At least most debentures in the no profits are refundable not like some other schools where deposits are asked for very early in the year and non refundable. With so much movement and fluctuation in the jobs market, NO ONE can predict whether they will be here in 6 months time or not. I think a few schools are wary of the new schools opening and the fact parents now have choice and by making sure deposits are non refundable and paid early will somehow put parents off leaving.......good luck with that attitude. ASD also have changed their deposit system. <em>edited by Lolacat on 01/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:09
Plans change over summer and people decide to move elsewhere. This puts schools in a difficult position as they cant fill the empty places.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:58
In the case of DC, is it a deposit that will come off the yearly tuition fees or an extra fee on top of that? I always thought a debenture was an extra fee?
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:55
Existing students: A school may charge up to 20% of the school’s tuition fees as a re-registration deposit to confirm the return of existing students in the new academic year. This deposit should be deducted from the total tuition fees for the academic year in which the admission is being sought New students: A school may charge up to 30% of the school’s tuition fees as an admission fee to confirm that selected students will opt to take up the offered places. This fee should be deducted from the total tuition fees for the academic year in which the admission is being sought. Refund: In the cases of both existing and new students, deposits and fees will not be refunded if students choose not to return to school for the next academic year or choose not to take the offered places. However, a school may choose to refund the deposit under special circumstances. These circumstances include, but are not limited to, evidence of family travel to another country, a move to another Emirate or any unforeseen circumstances. Such cases may be submitted to KHDA for study. In the case of refund and recovery, the school fees will be calculated as follows:  If the student attends school for two weeks or less, a month’s fees will be deducted;  If the student attends school for a period ranging between two weeks and one month, two months’ fees will be deducted  If the student attends for more than a month, three months’ fees will be deducted. The value of the fee per month is calculated by dividing the total tuition fees by ten. Charges for books and school uniforms will not be refunded, but the above conditions for refund apply to transportation fees if the service is provided by the school. Presuming it is up to date, the above information is from the KHDA website. <em>edited by amelia on 01/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:27
It's just an initial down payment. I have a distinct feeling the KHDA rules say schools don't have to refund these...anyone know for sure?
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:23
You are lucky Third culture - I'm sure our 10k is non-refundable and we are not taking the place anymore. Off to check paperwork! Yikes. I guess I should consider us lucky then. I didn't realize schools had nonrefundable deposits. I mean, by definition, a deposit is refundable (isn't it?).
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 11:32
You are lucky Third culture - I'm sure our 10k is non-refundable and we are not taking the place anymore. Off to check paperwork!
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 11:25
I don't really mind paying some kind of deposit because I understand it does help the school to get parents to commit to the new school year. However, I wish the schools would be more reasonable with a) the amount and b) the refund timeframe. Our school allows for refunds of the deposit, but only up to end of April. Many of us are at the mercy of our employers and they may choose to terminate or move an employee after that date. I wish they would give us until the end of the school term in June. I think that flexibility truly shows that a school understands and considers our position. Let's be real here, there are more students in Dubai than there are seats at schools; they won't ever be in a position to be scraping around to fill seats. So why not be more flexible? And how about families with multiple children? That means multiple deposits...yikes!
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 11:10
Ouch! I read somewhere that DC was contemplating introducing debentures but agree they should have warned potential parents. That's a big chunk of money to come up with at short notice. Wicked, the KHDA has rules governing the deposits schools can impose for the following year. We got the 10k thing from our current school as well, and it fell within the rules when I checked. I think it was 10% of the annual fees, but the rules depend on certain factors (new entrants/existing students perhaps?).
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:20
What are the rules in other schools for securing a place for the next academic year? For existing pupils at our school cheques had to be submitted for the next academic year last week. Not sure about new entrants.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:16
What are the rules in other schools for securing a place for the next academic year? I only have 1 child and this is his second school year, last year we only had to sign a letter to secure a place and submit the checks before the start of the academic year Last month we received a letter requesting us to pay 10,000 either in cash or current dated check before March 27 to secure a place for the next academic year I didn't find it very nice as the 3rd payment check is due this month and we also have to pay rent on April 1st. <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 01/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:16
It seems very unfair to announce that out of the blue and give people two weeks to come up with the money. Surely they could have announced it before people applied then everyone could have made the decision if they could afford it and also to give people more time to save.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY