Puberty Book for Girls? | ExpatWoman.com

Puberty Book for Girls?

Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:43

My DD knows the basics but wants a puberty type book she can read/make notes at her own pace....since I'd have to buy online and can't really see the contents, can anybody recommend a good one (that is not too graphic!). I'd only like it to cover physical and emotional changes, not "more". I heard there is an American Girl brand one but not sure what it entails.

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 19:30
Hi Cherpie, sorry only just seen this so you may have gone out already to buy it! The Usbourne 'What's Happening to Me' seems great. Each one (bought my daughter one a few years back) gives easy to read pages/diagrams on what will happen with their bodies, growing up, emotions, feelings towards opposite s@x etc. It's saved hubby having the big 'talk' anyway! By the way, not sure why I would get down arrowed for my previous comment of where you could find the book - I guess some people on here having nothing better to do.... I actually have and thumbing through it so thank you! :) Yeah the thumbs seem to be brainless sometimes, Im kind of against the thumbs! Haha just noticed my own word choice! <em>edited by Cherpie on 02/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 17:52
My mum just sent me a link on Amazon to a book called 'Dr Christian's guide to dealing with the tricky stuff'. She said it had been written up the the Sunday Times as being especially good. The reviews seem to rate it highly from people with kids aged 9-17.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 17:40
Hi Cherpie, sorry only just seen this so you may have gone out already to buy it! The Usbourne 'What's Happening to Me' seems great. Each one (bought my daughter one a few years back) gives easy to read pages/diagrams on what will happen with their bodies, growing up, emotions, feelings towards opposite s@x etc. It's saved hubby having the big 'talk' anyway! By the way, not sure why I would get down arrowed for my previous comment of where you could find the book - I guess some people on here having nothing better to do....
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:59
Ones I'm considering: AG care and Keeping of You, Usborne What's Happening to Me, there's Something New About You We bought the AG set, including the journal so she could write things down. Its very informative and by age, so she had the first book which if I recall correctly was for ages 7-9 and now the one for 9-12. The 9-12 is probably more geared to 10-12 but we discuss and talk about the topics openly.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 22:07
I bought my older daughter The Care & Keeping of You, The Body Book for Girls. She read it when she was about 9. My 7 (almost 8) girl is starting to take some interest in it (she is the youngest of 4 so she is a bit ahead of the game). It is a great book that gently covers nutrition, body image issues, fitness, "Big Changes", privacy, body care, etc. i have also had other books like it but this is a good one. Not graphic but detailed enough.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 18:33
Chickadee how are you finding it? I'm sure I could pop in there tomorrow.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 18:30
I got the Usbourne one last week for my son in Creative Minds on Umm Sequim Street, they had the girls ones too.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:32
I did see its not the stork but it was not quite what I am after. Mines 11, birthday next month- and she's getting to the stage where she thinks "any day now" even though she understands everybody is different. She was around 9 when she had the big questions and conveniently ( and probably the cause of the curiosity) I was pregnant with the little sis so she had some details at that time. She's had questions off and on and same here, I just answer them rather than have a big talk. If her father got involved I'm not sure we both wouldn't panic.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:52
Kinokuniya have a good selection, they are in the children's section but on the left wall when you enter the area. I bought one for my daughter when she was 9 and it's been really useful. She still uses it as a reference as different issues incidents / questions come up. I think it was called "the book for Girls". it doesn't have any mention of S*X but her Dad had that talk with her separately much to her disgust :biggrin: We got 'It's Not the Stork' from Kinokuniya, it's very good.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:49
Kinokuniya have a good selection, they are in the children's section but on the left wall when you enter the area. I bought one for my daughter when she was 9 and it's been really useful. She still uses it as a reference as different issues incidents / questions come up. I think it was called "the book for Girls". it doesn't have any mention of S*X but her Dad had that talk with her separately much to her disgust :biggrin:
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:49
out of curiosity... what ages are your DDs... I'm so lost as to when to start having 'the talk' with mine! My daughter is nine and knows about puberty etc. I haven't done 'the talk' as such, just general open communication about how and why our bodies change etc. She has a lot of questions about everything so I've just answered them rather than gloss over.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:12
out of curiosity... what ages are your DDs... I'm so lost as to when to start having 'the talk' with mine!
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:09
I bought a similar one for my DS last year from Virgin stores, don't remember the name but it was quite nice with an animated and interesting layout, saw a similar one for girls. Check out Virgin, I'm sure they still have it and also try Magrudy's if you haven't already. You can also call both stores to check what they have in stock before venturing out.
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 12:01
No, I checked borders (mcc) and book world (dm) over the weekend. Was told one (what's happening) was available but out of stock. <em>edited by Cherpie on 01/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:55
Ones I'm considering: AG care and Keeping of You, Usborne What's Happening to Me, there's Something New About You
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 10:47
following

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY