schools with counselor | ExpatWoman.com

schools with counselor

Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:38

Hi,
Our son is in year 1 at NAS. He needs an counselor help at school. But NAS has not got any. We are trying to solve problems with his teacher according to our suggestions but it is not enough. So we are looking for another school for next year. Do you know the schools which have counselors and also working properly? I only know DAA.

Thanks

Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 15:31
GEMS World School Academy has counsellors too.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 09:22
Try American Schools, Bradenton Prep Academy in Sports City where my daughter goes has a great school counselor, one counselor for elementary and one for secondary students.
Latest post on 12 March 2015 - 08:00
Sorry to hijack, does NAS have pastoral care in both primary and secondary, most schools have a social well being program that is part of the curriculum - some schools call this global citizenship, choices, etc. Yes they do.
Latest post on 12 March 2015 - 07:34
Sorry to hijack, does NAS have pastoral care in both primary and secondary, most schools have a social well being program that is part of the curriculum - some schools call this global citizenship, choices, etc. Sometimes the school nurse provides support too - but would depend on the qualifications of the nurse and their capacity. I know some school offer mindfulness, social thinking programs too. Surprising to hear NAS don't have this type of support. Shouldn't this be a pre-requisite for all schools? School library should also have story picture books referring to social thinking and behaviour that are age appropriate. Might be worth a check. If not try a good book shop
Latest post on 08 March 2015 - 14:01
Does he come from a house and upbringing with discipline? Or is having to follow rules a new concept for your child? Do you have issues with your child in these areas or do you feel it is just a school issue? By answering those questions you will know how to proceed forward. I.e. is this an issue that needs an Ed psyche/counsellor or just a change in parenting/adaptation? What does the school say? The team at NAS are very experienced they should be able to advice as to whether this is the right school for your child and what can be implemented to help your child fit in. Changing schools just to one with a counsellor may not be the correct move at this time. You need to identify what the issues are and what are your child’s needs before moving so you can move to the right school for your child or not. I would suggest you also speak to the Head of your child’s year and the Headmaster and ask for their advice.
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 21:26
I can recommend Ruba Tabari, Educational Psychologist, who will visit the school, do observation(s), gather information from teachers and come up with strategies that the school could use. She is bilingual (English-Arabic) and very experienced. You can contact her on [email protected] With the emphasis that the KHDA are now placing on schools meeting the needs of children with additional learning needs I am sure that NAS will soon have a Learning Support Department.
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 16:01
Learning Support departments in most schools here also deal with emotional and behavioural issues in children, even if their academics are fine. All schools should have a planned way of supporting children with these sort of issues and there should be a member of staff who can advise you, no matter how new the school.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 13:39
We are trying to find some solutions in current school and of course we prefer to stay here for avoiding him from any additional stress. But it is a new school and there is not also any department like learning support and we have not got any problem about learning difficulties. He is very good about learning and following his lessons. We have behavioral problems like always asking why I have to obey rules and why I have to finish activities if I do not want etc. And he is always trying to break the rules.. So we need a teacher with long years experiment who will guide him about social rules and support him without disturbing his learning willingness. But in current position our young teacher also needs some advises about how she should behave to him. On the other hand they are very satisfied with his academical performance. Unfortunately school management could not give any promise about next year if they will have such a department and staff to support students in emotional side.. Thank you for your replies
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 14:45
What sort of issues do you need help with? Is this outside the scope of the Learning Support Dept (if they have one)? If it is behavioural issues can you not get someone from outside to visit the school and advise. It seems drastic to be having to change schools. That will add to any stress for your child. <em>edited by plum2 on 01/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 13:57
The American schools do have counsellors as do Gems World academy. Most BC schools have a pastoral care Head, have you taken your concerns to that person?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY