Unsolved Baggage question | ExpatWoman.com

Unsolved Baggage question

Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 21:39

Hi All,

I am moving from the UK and having been looking at the options available to me. I am most likely to be travelling out with Qatar Airways. They have excess baggage option but if you are travelling from the UK they charge per kg! If you're travelling from the US you have the advantage of being charged per piece.

The thought of removals and shipping is a completely new world to me. As I have previously never used one.

I will be relocating in the next 6 weeks approx. And I have fully funished accommodation being provided for initially for two/three months to settle in. I will most probably need to move again after my settling in period.

My question is; a) What would you say would be the most cost effective and hassle free method?
b) Any suggestions of any good companies that one may have used for moving?

I would appreciate your feedback.
Many thanks,

Latest post on 11 April 2015 - 11:21
And don't forget that if you don't mind buying 2nd hand, there are lots of places here that sell stuff when ex-pats leave or no longer want their things. This site, for a start, Qatar Living, and on Facebook Buy it, Sell it, Love it, etc. We're going in July, so if by then you need anything, just let me know (I have an ad in the Classifieds here now - possibly a bit too early - but you can make contact that way).
Latest post on 07 April 2015 - 01:34
I used GB Liners to send some stuff over from the UK. It was a custom made box within a container, as I was only sending a bed and personal stuff over from our storage unit. No hassles and we used their door to door service, so you don't have to deal with Customs and removal men this end. They get good internet reviews too. Depends on how much stuff you have to send over really and whether you'd be sending furniture or just personal items. Also depends if the company you're working for is paying for your shipping. If they are, I would ship furniture and as much as you can to fill a container (or as much as is allowed)...if they are not, bring as little as possible and either rent a furnished apartment (after your initial accomm) or get a semi furnished place here and buy stuff from Ikea, etc. We have always had a 20ft container paid for by the company, so we shipped a 2 bed apartment full of stuff (mostly Ikea stuff from Kuwait..that we still have 8 yrs later!). We were paying silly money for a storage unit for residual stuff left in the UK, so decided to ship that over with GB Liners. All the best... edited by chizz on 02/03/2015 Thank you both for your replies. I think you're right Chizz, I have the added benefit of leaving things at my parents house (Bless them!) So I might take up that offer and just move with the essentials for the first few months and then once I move out into rented accom, have one on a furnished basis and then ship accordingly. Your message has been very helpful, thank you.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 21:38
I used GB Liners to send some stuff over from the UK. It was a custom made box within a container, as I was only sending a bed and personal stuff over from our storage unit. No hassles and we used their door to door service, so you don't have to deal with Customs and removal men this end. They get good internet reviews too. Depends on how much stuff you have to send over really and whether you'd be sending furniture or just personal items. Also depends if the company you're working for is paying for your shipping. If they are, I would ship furniture and as much as you can to fill a container (or as much as is allowed)...if they are not, bring as little as possible and either rent a furnished apartment (after your initial accomm) or get a semi furnished place here and buy stuff from Ikea, etc. We have always had a 20ft container paid for by the company, so we shipped a 2 bed apartment full of stuff (mostly Ikea stuff from Kuwait..that we still have 8 yrs later!). We were paying silly money for a storage unit for residual stuff left in the UK, so decided to ship that over with GB Liners. All the best... <em>edited by chizz on 02/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 23:48
I moved from Italy so I can't suggest companies from the UK, but if you search the forum I am sure you can find some names. About what to do: you did not say if you need to relocate all your things, included forniture, or not. We moved with our luggage + shipping via cargo of six big boxes with books, games, light home supplies, linen, towels, etc in a "fully furnished" house. I used "" because it was "basic furnished" and not "fully" , from my point of view :-) - anyway it has not been stressful: somebody went home to pick up the boxes a few days before our departure, and we said we wanted it to be delivered the week after in Doha. When in Doha, at the airport you can find local companies that help with custom and home delivery. Cost: 600 euros.