Super fussy visitor help | ExpatWoman.com

Super fussy visitor help

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 08:32

Morning ladies,

I have my father and his other half coming soon and she is a super fussy dragon. She doesnt like the heat, the malls, the beach.....

She basically prevents my father from comeong more often becuase she is a pain, only my kids want to see him so I want her to have a great time.
Please could you recommend some meals with spectacular views, wonderful afternoon teas and some gorgeous bars I can take her to. I think the day time will be pool with the kids as she doesnt like anything else, oooohhh except boats. Any good little boat trips that dont need a mortgage?

Thanks ladies

Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 12:06
There is a little restuarant that over looks the creek, sorry I don't know the name, the entrance is in the Fabric souk , then you could get an Abra across to the other side and have a look at the shops there . There is also a fab brunch at , Nineteen. Lovely peaceful setting , with views over the golf course. There is a special offer at the moment on groupon, so it won't cost you a fortune. Musadam, is a great place to see the dolphins and some great scenery. Hatta, see the dam , and hatta pools , picnic or go to hatta fort hotel for lunch. <em>edited by Wife of 777 on 03/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 10:15
Mrsmoo have you thought (or tried already...) to sit down with her over a glass or 2 of wine, without grandpa and kids around. Ask her why she does not like anything, is it that she does not like you lot, jealous of the time your father spends with you? tell her you would really like to know because you are trying really hard to please her and afraid if you don't you will not see your father. I sometimes find with people like this, once you acknowledge their behaviour in a very nice way, they some around and decide they are not actually left out and there is nothing to be jealous about... When she walks in the door, give her a big hug and tell her how excited you are to see her....that might just start the thaw...oh, and have the grandkids do that as well :).. Sounds to me like you do respect her, and are bending over backwards for her but...talk to her and bring it gently into the open, you might be surprised :)
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 09:38
You are really going out of your way to accommodate her MrsMoo - well done. If she really hates the sun, malls etc - personally, I would send her to Siberia for a holiday :-)
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 09:31
Thank you all ladies! She insists on coming because she is a kill joy. She doesnt like the thought of my dad having any fun without her and is jealous of our relationship. It would be much better for all concerned if she just stayed at home but she wont. She is a controlling, manipulative mare and what my father sees in her, I dont know. I have even asked him! He just says "she is not that bad once you get used to her" ha!
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 16:23
Your fussy visitor is just lucky enough that you are indeed nice and still mind how to please her, not to mention that most of the recommendations come a bit expensive too. Imagine you are setting aside a budget for her even if that could just go to your kids. But yeah, I admire you. :) I recommend the afternoon tea at Madeleine Cafe @ the Dubai Mall overlooking the old town/lake or at TWG near the fountains. Not too expensive though :) Meals - how about the Dine in the Dark (Noir) at the Fairmont? Quite fun and food is good too. <em>edited by mommypie2015 on 02/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 16:21
Sounds like you are going out of your way to accommodate her, OP. I didn't want to say anything, but this is what I was thinking. It sounds as if she doesn't want to come at all and is using very obvious excuses as complaints and "getting her way". I know from experience as I once visited people I detest and used any excuse I could not to go back.... I'm curious why she actually tags along, a grandpas visit isn't supposed to be a lavish pampering holiday session for her. Of course I could be way wrong and if so, I apologise!
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:58
Sounds like you are going out of your way to accommodate her, OP.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 13:14
If you want her to have a good time maybe start by respecting her as your father's choice of partner.. just saying... What about her respecting her partner's daughter and grandchildren? Good luck with your plan. I would take her to the desert and leave her there. It crossed my mind x
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 13:13
Thank you so much for the suggestions, I really appreciate it Im thinking to follow your advice Lovingthesun ;-) Its so hard to choose these days with so many new things opening all the time, I dont want to get it wrong and risk another year without my father visiting the kids because she didnt have a good time!
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:09
I had visitors who did the Xclusive cruise from Dubai marina (google details). It's half price on a Monday (costs 250/- to start with) and on a Wednesday kids go free. My visitors really enjoyed it and it included dinner. They got some fab photos too.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:24
If you want her to have a good time maybe start by respecting her as your father's choice of partner.. just saying... What about her respecting her partner's daughter and grandchildren? Good luck with your plan. I would take her to the desert and leave her there. Not to mention respecting her partner's right to spend some time with his daughter and grandchildren without it all revolving around her. If she hates it here so much why bother coming?
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:11
If you want her to have a good time maybe start by respecting her as your father's choice of partner.. just saying... What about her respecting her partner's daughter and grandchildren? Good luck with your plan. I would take her to the desert and leave her there.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:08
Sounds like what you need is a boat that will quietly sink :)
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:03
BBQ donut. Madinat jumeirah. Mercato.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 09:57
If you want her to have a good time maybe start by respecting her as your father's choice of partner.. just saying...
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 09:55
Just had a visitor and we did Bateaux Dubai, which has improved since last year, so if you can make it it's definitely worth the trip. Also had afternoon tea at At.mosphere, lovely and again an improvement on last year. I know you say she's fussy, but if you want a boat trip we took the water taxi from Dubai Marina down to the Creek. You can either sit inside or stand at the back. Not expensive, but good. Somewhere for really good food is the brunch at Desert Palm. OK so the views are of the polo fields, but the food is amazing. Hope this helps. If I can think of anything else we've done I'll let you know. Just a little exhausted today after a 4am airport drop off :sleeping:
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 09:50
Its not too bad getting to Bateaux Dubai on a Friday or Saturday evening. There are also a few reasonable priced boat trips from the Marina. Captain Jacks is 1 hour and costs 60 dhs per adult.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 08:41
Emirates palace in AD has awesome afternoon tea Bateux dubai for views, dinner and boat!! I was thinking Bateaux Dubai but they have moved from accross from the British Embassy to the other side of the creek. It was hard enough to get to the original location on time after working and sorting the kids, we can never make it across in time :-(
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 08:37
Emirates palace in AD has awesome afternoon tea Bateux dubai for views, dinner and boat!!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY