No renewal and no AC! | ExpatWoman.com

No renewal and no AC!

Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 12:50
Please ask your friend to get her Ejari (hopefully she has the documents needed, affection plan and LL passport copy) and then head down to the rental committee. If she can go today all the better. They will not be happy with the tactics of the LL. If she has it in writing he told her not to do the Ejari please take that with you. It is technically the responsibility of the LL to do the Ejari (but tenant pays) but most expect the tenant to do it. The lease should have had the affection plan and LL passport copy attached when it was issued. Was the DEWA not in her name (assuming DEWA). If it was, then they should not have cut it off except for non payment of bill. There will be no increase if she didn't get notice 90 days or more. It would also have to be allowed on the rental calculator. Call the Rental Dispute Centre on 800 4488 DEWA is 991 to clarify what is happening.and who cancelled the account Ask the Agent for his Rera office number and his broker number. He should have both to hand. Explain you are going to the Rental Committee to ask their advice and will be quoting both numbers, If he is up to date with current rules/judgments he will be scared. Apparently they are handing out fines of AED 50,000 to both agents and RE companies for underhand tactics. There is also a black point system, they can have their broker cards removed. Please fight it, the more bad agents and LL that are reported the better.
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 12:49
If I was her I would take all information which she has in writing straight to the Rent Committee. I presume she hasn't been given 12 months notice to move out on 17th ?
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 12:34
My friend is having some issues with her landlord : Her contract expires on 17 March She has been there 2 years already She paid an increase above the RERA rules last year The agent and LL told her no need for Ejari as she does not have dependents Now the AC has been cut off due to a change over in supplier (apparently) The LL says it will take weeks/months to fix We think he is trying to force her to move out so he can move someone else in at a MUCH higher rent and the agent also gets their 5% commission again She is getting advice but does anyone else have similar experiences? Also, as he has not given her any notice and she is the only one in the building now without AC, can she stay in her apartment until this is all resolved or does she really have to move out on the 17th? TIA :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY