pgce (professional) sunderland accepted in the UAE????? | ExpatWoman.com

pgce (professional) sunderland accepted in the UAE?????

Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 14:04

Hello girls,

I am interested in doing the pgce (post Graduate route) through university of sunderland. I still have a lot of doubts.

I have heard that I need to do the post graduate pgce and not the professional pgce In order to be able to teach in schools . Is that true?

I have checked the website of the ministery of higher education and I have noticed that university of sunderland is NOT On the recommended e-learning universities. Does that mean that the online pgce through sunderland will not be approved in the uae?

is there anyone who have done the pgcethrough sunderland and got problems with attesting the certificate?

Thanks in advance
<em>edited by Iraqi_holand on 04/03/2015</em>

Latest post on 30 June 2022 - 13:04
[quote=Hungry_Caterpillar]I just wanted to add that if you do your PGCE through UK distance learning it will be attested by notary in UK, FCO in UK, UAE embassy in UK and then MOFO here in Dubai. I...
Is the one offered by Nottingham accepted by the ministry?
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 10:44
I am not a teacher but just curious. Surely you would need a teaching qualification and 2 years experience before teaching here. How will you get that experience? During your PGCi you would be working in a school so those placements would count towards your experience. You should add them on your cv. After finishing your PGCi you should be prepared to work for less money as a teacher or as a TA to build up your CV a little first. It's a bit of a journey!
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 10:34
If you plan to go back to UK: the PGCi is pretty useless. You would have to do the PGCE course all over again as the syllabus varies. Do a search on tes.co.uk for more information from forum users discussing the PGCi course in UK. If you plan to stay here: You can have the certificate attested by UK notary, FCO, UAE embassy and MOFO here. Your certificate will not say the mode of study I.e distance or online learning. Your certificate has nothing to do with MOHESR. The only reason Nottingham Uni is mentioned by MOHESR is because that uni offers the PGCE here in Dubai. It's recognised as a local qualification. The PGCi through Sunderland is a course entirely from the UK which would be attested by only the above mentioned bodies, excluded MOHESR. The PGCi is the only way for people outside the UK to gain the qualification that most international schools are now asking for. Your other option is to go UK and do the PGCE there which would be recognised everywhere including the UK. I hope this clears everything up for you. After giving things slot of thought I decided against the PGCEi and I'm now perusing an M.Ed. As a UK citizen I will do the PGCE once I'm back home. I don't want to spend twice on the same course. <em>edited by Hungry_Caterpillar on 09/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 21:31
Iraqi_holand, are you planning to teach at a school in Dubai? If yes, maybe you can check with KHDA about the attestation. Not all universities in the UAE have/require MOHESR accreditation. Dubai-based BRANCH campuses of foreign universities (i.e. those issuing a degree from a home campus in the UK, Australia, etc.) are regulated by KHDA, while universities established in the UAE (i.e. those issuing their own, 'local' degrees like AUD, AUS, etc.) are regulated by MOHESR. See KHDA website here: [url=http://www.khda.gov.ae/Pages/En/commonQuestionshe.aspx'>link[/url'> for more info about how this works and check with them about recognised qualifications for teaching in DUBAI schools.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 20:36
I just wanted to add that if you do your PGCE through UK distance learning it will be attested by notary in UK, FCO in UK, UAE embassy in UK and then MOFO here in Dubai. It will be recognised and you can teach with it. That is not correct. The MOFA will only attest an online certificate when the certificate is obtained through a MOHESR accepted online institute. And the only PGCE they accept online is through Nottingham University. It is clearly mentioned by the ministry.
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 18:50
I am not a teacher but just curious. Surely you would need a teaching qualification and 2 years experience before teaching here. How will you get that experience?
Latest post on 07 March 2015 - 15:36
I just wanted to add the below information provided by Sunderland. Basically, this PGCE is for overseas students only who want to be able to right they have it on their resume. Theres very little chance of getting QTS if you plan to return to UK to teach. "Please acknowledge that you are fully aware of these facts: 1. The Postgraduate Graduate Certificate in Education is an academic award. [b'>2. That this programme is intended for teachers working, or intending to work, in International Schools in countries outside the United Kingdom.[/b'> 3. I understand that the PGCE does not, in itself, confer any state registration (such as English QTS) and that it should not be considered as an alternative route to gain QTS. 4. To gain state registration as a teacher in any country, I understand that it is my responsibility to demonstrate to the state authority concerned my ability to conform to their requirements in force at the time of application. 5. The University of Sunderland is the awarding body for the PGCE and is responsible for the quality assurance of that award but has no control or influence over the awarding of state registration for any country including countries within the United Kingdom."
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 20:02
You can teach here and in many other countries with the PGCE from the University of Sunderland. I know because I have it. However, if you want to teach in the UK, it is not enough. You would need to obtain QTS there. edited by AnonDubai on 04/03/2015 hey Anon, Is your pgce certificate approved here in Dubai? Is it legalised by the embassy of the uae and the other authorities ? And does your certificate has a stamp on it that says that it's distant learning degree? Like I mentioned before , university of sunder is NOT mentioned on the list of recommended e-learning universities by ministery of higher education of UAE. only university of Nottingham is mentioned. Unfortunately Nottingham not option for me Otherwise I wil definitely choose it instead of sunderland. ... I just want to be sure then sorry. It cost a lot of money... Thanks I can't answer your first two questions because I don't know the answer. I know that my certificate allows me to teach in schools here that require qualified teachers. I completed the course in 2006. It was not a distance-learning degree then. In fact, none of my coursework was done online. I attended classes here in Dubai and did a teaching practice with mentors and frequent observations. The course cost me 26,000 dirhams!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 17:37
You can teach here and in many other countries with the PGCE from the University of Sunderland. I know because I have it. However, if you want to teach in the UK, it is not enough. You would need to obtain QTS there. edited by AnonDubai on 04/03/2015 You can't use the online certification as it's not on the list of accepted online universities. OP, why don't you start with looking for a TA position in a school, start building up experience (if you can afford to make a smaller salary. Not sure if you are here supporting yourself, but if you can go down this route I would do it. I think GEMS also offers teacher training, but check what the entry requirements are. Do you want to become a UK qualified teacher, do you want to eventually teach there?
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 14:49
You can teach here and in many other countries with the PGCE from the University of Sunderland. I know because I have it. However, if you want to teach in the UK, it is not enough. You would need to obtain QTS there. edited by AnonDubai on 04/03/2015 hey Anon, Is your pgce certificate approved here in Dubai? Is it legalised by the embassy of the uae and the other authorities ? And does your certificate has a stamp on it that says that it's distant learning degree? Like I mentioned before , university of sunder is NOT mentioned on the list of recommended e-learning universities by ministery of higher education of UAE. only university of Nottingham is mentioned. Unfortunately Nottingham not option for me Otherwise I wil definitely choose it instead of sunderland. ... I just want to be sure then sorry. It cost a lot of money... Thanks
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 09:51
QTS is easy to get if you are in the UK and already hold a degree and PGCE and is only required for maintained (state sector) schools. Depending on provable experience it can be gained on assessment criteria. So Anon, you would easily get QTS status if you choose to teach in the UK. Some universities incorporate QTS into the PGCE. Some state schools only require a degree and QTS not a PGCE. Scarily the qualification required to actually become a teacher are quite minimal. A minimum C grade or more in Maths, English and a science for up to KS 2/3. A degree is required to gain QTS status. A degree relevant to what is being taught is not always required. https://www.gov.uk/qualified-teacher-status-qts https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-assessment-only-route-to-qts http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/basic-requirements http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/whats-involved Attached is some links to UK teacher training and the Dubai frequently asked questions information on requirements here, these may not be up to date or accurate necessary. I don’t think QTS status is needed here. When you read the link, it answers quite a few questions that I have wondered over the years when dealing with some teachers. What’s interesting is that some of highest academic rates come from countries where their teachers have to hold a minimum of a Masters. http://www.dubaifaqs.com/teaching-jobs-in-dubai.php http://www.dubaifaqs.com/teaching-in-dubai.php
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 08:40
Yes, I agree with you.
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 08:32
It stands for Qualified Teacher Status. I believe that it means another year of studies in the UK. I don't know anything further about it because I knew that I would never be teaching in the UK when I decided to do the PGCE with The U of Sunderland. Ahhh, thank you. Just spent a few minutes reading about this online. So a PGCE doesn't make you a UK qualified teacher by itself. I really wasn't aware of this but I'm only at the beginning of my, possible, journey in this direction. The idea that to get QTS you need to spend a year being mentored in the UK seems like a good method of quality control at least?
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 08:18
It stands for Qualified Teacher Status. I believe that it means another year of studies in the UK. I don't know anything further about it because I knew that I would never be teaching in the UK when I decided to do the PGCE with The U of Sunderland.
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 07:47
You can teach here and in many other countries with the PGCE from the University of Sunderland. I know because I have it. However, if you want to teach in the UK, it is not enough. You would need to obtain QTS status there. Sorry, what is QTS? I've been thinking about this one day for myself but it seems a bit of a labyrinth!
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 05:56
You can teach here and in many other countries with the PGCE from the University of Sunderland. I know because I have it. However, if you want to teach in the UK, it is not enough. You would need to obtain QTS there. <em>edited by AnonDubai on 04/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 21:22
A friend did a PGCE here a few years ago (think with Sunderland though not 100% sure), only to discover that she couldn't teach at home (UK). Know you asked about teaching here, but thought I'd flag it in case....Speak to as many people as you can, as things are changing here all the time, etc. Ask Sunderland directly as well. Also, the UAE has recently set up a National Qualifications Authority, so this may also be worth checking....Good luck!
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 16:28
Sunderland university is NOT on the list of the recommended universities for e-learning, but it's mentioned on the list of recommended institutions. The course that I want to do is ONLINE post graduate from Sunderland university. So my question is if I should worry about that it's not mentioned on the list of online studies ??? Nottingham is not an option for me because I need to be already working in a school for many year.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 14:57
Hello girls, I am interested in doing the pgce (professional route) through university of sunderland. I still have a lot of doubts. I have heard that I need to do the post graduate pgce and not the professional pgce In order to be able to teach in schools . Is that true? I have checked the website of the ministery of higher education and I have noticed that university of sunderland is NOT On the recommended e-learning universities. Does that mean that the online pgce through sunderland will not be approved in the uae? is there anyone who have done the pgce (professional) through sunderland and got problems with attesting the certificate? Thanks in advance If the university is not on the MOHESR list, they won't accept it. Look at the University of Nottingham, they offer it and I believe through a university here in the UAE. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/pgcei/dubai.aspx <em>edited by Marroosh on 03/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 14:23
My suggestion would be - speak to UAE schools. They are probably more likely to know.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY