Delivery Charge | ExpatWoman.com

Delivery Charge

Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 11:48

Good morning ladies,

I'm planning on starting a home business here but I did a bit of research and found delivery charges are ridiculous and I really don't want customers paying that amount, its nearly the same price as the products. Does anyone have any experience or know a delivery service which is cheaper and reliable too.

Thanks in advance

Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 13:42
There are some markets where home businesses can sell and they are covered by the licence of the organiser. I know Time Square mall runs fairs and also the schools fairs and at both of these you can sell what you make at home. At other placed you have to have your own business licence.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 01:21
Thank you for your concern simpleasabc and for the article, I wasn't actually aware of that due to the fact of seeing lots of people selling in markets. Are those also illegal? I'm not quite sure what you mean, but to the best of my understanding, I think that market stall-holders have to be registered with the DED and hold a trade licence to be able to sell. I think places like the Arte craft market may have a special licence allowing registered stall-holders to trade under one licence, under Arte's umbrella, but I'm really not sure how it works. This website might be of interest to you, I don't know what kind of business you want to set up: http://www.arte.ae/ Even established companies can come a cropper - a couple of years ago, Baker & Spice's Organic fruit and veg market at Souk Al Bahar had to close down for a while until they got the right licences sorted. Lots of people here do run small business from their own homes, which is why it might seem to be something which is allowed, but they are running the risk of being subject to a crackdown and facing closure and huge fines, as the article I linked to suggested. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this and do it discreetly anyway, hoping they won't get caught, or whether they just see others doing it and think it must be OK. The same goes for "part-time" maids sponsored by other people and for private tutors who go to people's homes. Strictly speaking, this is not allowed here and the people involved run the risk of huge fines and even, in the most drastic cases, being deported. This has been a public service announcement, don't shoot the messenger ;) <em>edited by simpleasabc on 05/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 22:08
Thank you for your concern simpleasabc and for the article, I wasn't actually aware of that due to the fact of seeing lots of people selling in markets. Are those also illegal? Thanks a lot sourskittleashnut, I'll check them out and see :)
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 18:53
Hi, I know Parzel charges AED14 for upto 3kgs anywhere in Dubai, I think thats pretty decent! www.parzel.com
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 15:25
The way you're writing, I'm not sure if you are aware of the DED rules about home businesses? Here's a quite recent article about them: http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/is-selling-from-your-dubai-home-legal-here-s-ded-s-response-2014-10-16-1.566448 Of course, if you are a UAE passport holder, this article is irrelevant to you, so I wish you good luck with your business!
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 14:21
Oh thank you so much pollydxb1, I never heard of mashaweer and just spoken to them now so hopefully once I give them my proposal they'll check out the costs
Latest post on 04 March 2015 - 12:00
I think it would depend on what you are delivering. You could hire a driver Use Aramex/Skynet Use Mashaweer

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY