Autism - Genes? | ExpatWoman.com

Autism - Genes?

Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 12:52
After taking care of many children that are at different levels on the spectrum I can say I'm not too surprised. Obviously the parents may not be the "odd one" as genes showing outwardly can skip generations. One girl I knew for years had PDD-NOS. Her parents both insisted it was from a vacination. After knowing them for years you could see the quirks in each of them exemplified in the daughter. The husband couldn't look you in the eye for more than a minute, the mom had NO time management skills (she would say she will be home at 5 but would show up at 9 as if she was still on time!), and her mom admitted to not speaking until she was 3, and to biting her hand when nervous until she was 5 (something the daughter did when stressed).
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 12:33
Autism has always been known to have a strong genetic component - I have relatives independently diagnosed in 5 different countries. Until the past 20 years the high functioning types such as Aspergers syndrome remained undiagnosed - but when people look back that "wierd" relative that lacked social skills were probably suffering as well (certainly true in my family). The original Wakefield MMR/autism research has been thoroughly discredited - the initial group was very small - only 12 children - you cannot draw conclusions from such as small studie - Wakefield claimed that all were previously "normal" yet 5 had documented development delays prior to MMR - the selection of the 12 children was biased - the children were recruited and funded by an anti-MMR group to sue the NHS and Wakefield was already recruited to represent this group in their lawsuit yet failed to declare this conflict of interest
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 11:24
Interesting new research out on the genetic link in boys with autism: http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news/2015/boys-with-autism-inherit-mutations-from-unaffected-mothers
Latest post on 17 March 2015 - 20:02
In reply to Izzy, My son is the first person to have a diagnosis but he has 2 second cousins who would get a diagnosis if one was sought. One of those youngsters is very high functioning and can get by whilst being considered a bit of a 'strange one' - not my description of people I must add. She is about 15 now. Then there is another girl who is a few years older than my son, she's on the spectrum but for years its been said she fell of the bed as a baby and ended up brain damaged. She's not. Then there are a few other quirky people who wouldn't get a diagnosis but who most definitely do have very strong ASD traits and I think the best way to describe them is extreme NT. Thats my husbands side of the family, and to be frank I would consider my husband to be amongst the extreme NT's in his family. Now mine - MY father is extreme NT, and his father I would place on the spectrum. There is also the fact that in my husband sides of the family there's schizophrenia as well as Bipolar Disorder, whilst in mines there's Bipolar. Autism is more common in families where these conditions exist. Its all very interesting and it can be quite 'funny' when you sit with a friend and she says I don't know where my childs autism came from, and you're there looking at her and thinking - really? :) edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/03/2015 Hi DR hope all is well in your neck of the woods...... Great post. Both my brothers were diagnosed with Hyper Activity ,the term used in the early years. It was most definitely genetic as my Dad showed the same symptoms and I am sure had a host of other undiagnosed conditions. He had severe depression ,mood-swings, changed from extreme highs to extreme lows.When he was a child he spent most of his school years in a corner for being "naughty " and when he got home he got a licking for being " naughty". My heart just aches thinking about it .He never got help , even when I suggested it after my brothers diagnosis,I think he was just so badly damaged by society's perceptions at the time.He was able to cope and hide any shortcomings on the job. I haven't been able to confirm it but I too had odd uncles and aunts on Dads side, things like "that" were always spoken about in hushed conversations in those years. Let's hope the research continues and unlocks the door. <em>edited by Nomad on 17/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 17 March 2015 - 18:09
In reply to Izzy, My son is the first person to have a diagnosis but he has 2 second cousins who would get a diagnosis if one was sought. One of those youngsters is very high functioning and can get by whilst being considered a bit of a 'strange one' - not my description of people I must add. She is about 15 now. Then there is another girl who is a few years older than my son, she's on the spectrum but for years its been said she fell of the bed as a baby and ended up brain damaged. She's not. Then there are a few other quirky people who wouldn't get a diagnosis but who most definitely do have very strong ASD traits and I think the best way to describe them is extreme NT. Thats my husbands side of the family, and to be frank I would consider my husband to be amongst the extreme NT's in his family. Now mine - MY father is extreme NT, and his father I would place on the spectrum. There is also the fact that in my husband sides of the family there's schizophrenia as well as Bipolar Disorder, whilst in mines there's Bipolar. Autism is more common in families where these conditions exist. Its all very interesting and it can be quite 'funny' when you sit with a friend and she says I don't know where my childs autism came from, and you're there looking at her and thinking - really? :) <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 10:34
DR (forgive me if this is too personal and ask me to delete and i will) i know your son is on the spectrum - do you have cases of "strange ones" in your family? or is your son the first real diagnosis?
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 01:30
***I have seen children with autism who are the only ones in their family tree with it.*** They may be the only one presenting the way they do but I would put money on there being others in the family who are also on the spectrum in their own way. I would also put money on there being people in the family going back a few generations who are remembered for being 'a strange one'.
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 06:10
Loving The Sun, thanks for the total sympathy you expressed for those of us struggling with kids on the spectrum. You have every right to rant shamelessly about measles vaccinations or lack of, but it's a bit inconsiderate to hijack a thread on autism instead of adding to the many current anti-vaccine threads or starting up new anti-vaccine threads with relevant titles. ASD is a real challenge for any family dealing with it and just shouting "what about measles injections?" at us isn't a particularly helpful contribution and does feel as though you're trying to sideline the many issues we face on a daily basis. Stix, sorry I don't know how to add this as a link, but the list of possible causes is huge, so please google it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_autism If you wish to paint me as the bad guy; "hijacking" "rant" "sideline" "shouting" that is your prerogative of course. My first post wasn't aimed at you or anyone else (as you hadn't in fact posted when I wrote it) with a child with ASD. Clearly not. I agree a thread about dealing with Autism is merited but since this was about its causes (as per the OP) then a response which expressed frustration at the harmful rubbish spouted (which oddly enough reappears on this very thread!) about its causes by the MMR=Autism brigade was hardly totally incongrous and was indeed quite in context Measels is on the rise in the UAE and awareness is not a bad thing. In no way does this equate, or even hint at, an attack on those people who live with an child or relative with ASD. In no way does it sideline them or the many genuine issues that they face. But if you wish to make it into that, I can't stop you. <em>edited by lovingthesun on 06/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 23:12
Absolutely agree keep the thread about Autism and it's causes. For those who want to discuss vaccines and their connection to Autism , @ Hungry _ Caterpillar the recent thread 'Has anyone chosen not to vaccinate their children' , both sides are debated. By the way the study by Andrew Wakefield linking MMR to Autism was proved to be flawed and withdrawn by The Lancet in 2010. <em>edited by Nomad on 05/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 21:18
I do hope this isn't being hijacked for another measles rant thread already. Undoubtedly it often does run in families but 98% autism due to genes seems a bit on the high side to me. Convenient for any government wishing to divert attention and research funding away from other possible causes of autism. Oh I'll rant alright and shamelessly so. The anti-vaccination brigade are endangering the lives of children; who wouldn't rant about that? Perhaps they (the plague bearers) are more at fault for hijacking autism for THIER own ill-informed agenda. Or perhaps they're too busy with their Crystal Healing mumbo jumbo to give a **** about anyone else's child. edited by lovingthesun on 05/03/2015 Some children have had horrific side effects from the vaccine. In such cases parents usually choose to not vaccinate their next child. It isn't always as simple as just getting it done. Funny you mention the MMR vaccine because this has also been linked to autism. I find the percentage linked to genetic causes very high. I have seen children with autism who are the only ones in their family tree with it. I think there are many factors to consider and genetics it's just one of the obvious ones. We want more research and development around all the other causes of this. <em>edited by Hungry_Caterpillar on 05/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 21:06
Loving The Sun, thanks for the total sympathy you expressed for those of us struggling with kids on the spectrum. You have every right to rant shamelessly about measles vaccinations or lack of, but it's a bit inconsiderate to hijack a thread on autism instead of adding to the many current anti-vaccine threads or starting up new anti-vaccine threads with relevant titles. ASD is a real challenge for any family dealing with it and just shouting "what about measles injections?" at us isn't a particularly helpful contribution and does feel as though you're trying to sideline the many issues we face on a daily basis. Stix, sorry I don't know how to add this as a link, but the list of possible causes is huge, so please google it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_autism
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 16:19
I do hope this isn't being hijacked for another measles rant thread already. Undoubtedly it often does run in families but 98% autism due to genes seems a bit on the high side to me. Convenient for any government wishing to divert attention and research funding away from [b'>other possible causes of autism[/b'>. Such as?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 13:44
I do hope this isn't being hijacked for another measles rant thread already. Undoubtedly it often does run in families but 98% autism due to genes seems a bit on the high side to me. Convenient for any government wishing to divert attention and research funding away from other possible causes of autism. Oh I'll rant alright and shamelessly so. The anti-vaccination brigade are endangering the lives of children; who wouldn't rant about that? Perhaps they (the plague bearers) are more at fault for hijacking autism for THIER own ill-informed agenda. Or perhaps they're too busy with their Crystal Healing mumbo jumbo to give a **** about anyone else's child. <em>edited by lovingthesun on 05/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 10:23
I do hope this isn't being hijacked for another measles rant thread already. Undoubtedly it often does run in families but 98% autism due to genes seems a bit on the high side to me. Convenient for any government wishing to divert attention and research funding away from other possible causes of autism.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 07:56
With the news that measels is going around at the minute this makes me simply more angry. I have total sympathy for the parents of autistic children. I have zero for those who put the lives of all our children at risk because they are stupid.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 07:37
New research revealed that Autism is largely genetic.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2980272/Genetics-blame-nearly-autism-cases-DNA-98-cases-research-shows.html

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY