How many married ladies have their own retirement fund? | ExpatWoman.com

How many married ladies have their own retirement fund?

Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:04

How many of you have your own? Or, you will just use your husbands? I do work but dont have any savings of my own or retirement fund as my husband earns most of the money....but a friend of mine has recommend I have my own, she has just go divorces so she would obviously feel like that but it has got me thinking.......

Latest post on 12 March 2015 - 13:12
I don't have my own fund, am hoping my hubby will share his with me. lol.
Latest post on 11 March 2015 - 16:56
I have one. Late into my twenties, financial advisor said I should have gotten one before I was 25 but that's life, wasn't too wise then! I suggest you get one because it's good investment and you won't have to feel guilty about enjoying life NOW when you already have a plan for TOMORROW. :)
Latest post on 09 March 2015 - 08:22
I pay my voluntary contributions in the UK and set up an offshore pension scheme which I pay into monthly. Thanks, who do you use? It's set up with zuerich.
Latest post on 08 March 2015 - 20:36
We secured that with investment in property individually for this purpose. We somehow are not satisfied with returns pension funds offer. Whatever cycle Fund Manager may talk about, 30 years is good period for all cycles to even out.
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 17:31
With ours all being off shore now, we can do what we like with the money. Personally I was thinking fast cars and travelling the world ;)
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 16:31
The trouble with these nest eggs one tries to build up in private pensions is one saves for years but in the end even if you have a decent amount the actual income derived can be very low at the moment. And the performance and annual fees vary. Say you save £100,000 by the time you stop working - that may give you an annuity of only about £4000 a year and even less if you take the 25% lump sum that is allowed - or am I mistaken?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 15:02
We have put much of our savings into property as a form of income for our retirement. I don't have a private fund or private income source but then, neither does my husband. We are a team and will rely upon our joint efforts for our retirement. I guess many here will think I am silly but I feel secure.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 17:29
I don't mind telling you, but I am not sure it will help. As the policy I took out no longer exists. You can start to pay into an FPI from USD 300 per month
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 17:04
I am not married yet, but have been paying into a pension since I arrived in Dubai, a Friends Provident policy. I also have a UK pension, also with FP - but that is frozen. I would agree with your friend, if you an afford it - get one. I have been independent for so long, I like to be able to stand on now 2 feet financially as much as I can. If you decide not to, make sure he is paying enough into to cover you both your retirement age. Thanks, yes I am going to do it. I do work but don't earn a lot. If you dont mind me asking, how much do pay per month?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 16:26
Looking into one right now! :biggrin:
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 16:04
I am not married yet, but have been paying into a pension since I arrived in Dubai, a Friends Provident policy. I also have a UK pension, also with FP - but that is frozen. I would agree with your friend, if you an afford it - get one. I have been independent for so long, I like to be able to stand on now 2 feet financially as much as I can. If you decide not to, make sure he is paying enough into to cover you both your retirement age.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 14:57
I have always paid into my own pension fund. Despite being happily married for many years, I could never risk depending on somebody else, even my husband, for my financial security in old age. <em>edited by Fiat500 on 05/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:31
I pay my voluntary contributions in the UK and set up an offshore pension scheme which I pay into monthly. Thanks, who do you use?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:20
I pay my voluntary contributions in the UK and set up an offshore pension scheme which I pay into monthly.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:15
Paid into a pension scheme since I was 16, that was back in the UK. I still have a separate one to this day and pay into it. edited by Geordie expat on 05/03/2015 Can I ask who you use? I have had my UK pensions consolidated and they are all now offshore with ******
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:10
Paid into a pension scheme since I was 16, that was back in the UK. I still have a separate one to this day and pay into it. edited by Geordie expat on 05/03/2015 Can I ask who you use?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 11:06
Paid into a pension scheme since I was 16, that was back in the UK. I still have a separate one to this day and pay into it. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 05/03/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY